DIY projects

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That guy just might have to be my phone a friend life line. I picked up wrong fittings for the shower hookup. I appreciate it. 

The plumbing project that does not require 4 trips to the hardware.... doesn’t exist! On the bright side, gas is cheap right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The plumbing project that does not require 4 trips to the hardware.... doesn’t exist! On the bright side, gas is cheap right now. 

Laughed when I read this...

I have a water line that runs out the back of my garage, and the previous owner trenched a line all the way out to the barn (about 100 yards). A leak developed at the spigot a couple of weeks ago. The 3rd time I went to Home Depot, the old fella that mans the door said, "one more time and I'm gettin you an apron and a badge!" 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

You are making me feel better. The thing I am most impressed with was my wife told me to pick the new tub out and she loved it. 

On a side note as I put the tub in I left the blue protective film on it and had her convinced the tub was blue. She was sure I got it half off.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You are making me feel better. The thing I am most impressed with was my wife told me to pick the new tub out and she loved it. 

On a side note as I put the tub in I left the blue protective film on it and had her convinced the tub was blue. She was sure I got it half off.

I have said that to customers and General contractors before about the blue film and they look at me like wtf..haha

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Too late now but I prefer leaving the film on until the end to protect from drywall mud,  paint and such. 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well here is a PSA while we all isolate and work on projects. DON'T put your fingers in the circular saw. Took one off at the first knuckle today and I was making some damn good progress on a shed too! !@%@$%^%! 

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope everything is healing well and you are back at it.

11 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope everything is healing well and you are back at it.

Thank you sir. All is healing well and I've even made a lot more progress on the shed. In my standard fashion, I'm 90% done with it so it's time to start on the next project ! lol

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Not just plumbing.  To fix a car or truck I have to make at least 5-6 trips to exchange parts and rent tools.

P.S.  never buying Chevy/GMC again.  Ford or Toyota forever.  Hell I'd try out a Kia.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not just plumbing.  To fix a car or truck I have to make at least 5-6 trips to exchange parts and rent tools.

P.S.  never buying Chevy/GMC again.  Ford or Toyota forever.  Hell I'd try out a Kia.

The reason I'll never buy a South Korean car again

My youngest was driving a 2011 Sonata I bought home from work when the engine seized. This was in 2013. She was on the feeder for I-69 north when it happened about 100 yards from the main freeway entrance ramp. I still shudder when I think what might have happened if it had hung on for another mile...

Took me 2 years to get them to replace the engine. Drove it right from the Hyundai service shop to a Toyota dealer and bought a Camry...never again...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 7:07 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Day  1 finished. A little progress made

20200421_215603.jpg

Are you putting the Schluter system around your tub? Hope so, because with a shower, you probably shouldn't use drywall, unless that's not drywall and a form of concrete board I haven't seen. (tough to tell from the pic) Or maybe a pre-fab shower surround? I see a lip on the tub that may be for a surround.

Good Luck! (still don't think you'll get it done this week)  🤣

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, DWB said:

Are you putting the Schluter system around your tub? Hope so, because with a shower, you probably shouldn't use drywall, unless that's not drywall and a form of concrete board I haven't seen. (tough to tell from the pic) Or maybe a pre-fab shower surround? I see a lip on the tub that may be for a surround.

Good Luck! (still don't think you'll get it done this week)  🤣

Tile?

33 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

In a couple years I am going to redo the kids bathroom...so keep good notes for me ha. I've done various DIY projects, but never tackled installing a tub/shower before.

Better wait and see how it turns out, my notes my need to be burnt so no one else messes up their bathroom.  In all seriousness this is a first and I am sure looking back I will have done things differently but willing to share

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

He could go over the dry wall with concrete board.

He could, but the proper way would be to remove the drywall, put up a vapor barrier over the studs, and then install the concrete board, tape the seams, and then tile.

Just my 2¢

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DWB said:

He could, but the proper way would be to remove the drywall, put up a vapor barrier over the studs, and then install the concrete board, tape the seams, and then tile.

Just my 2¢

True.  I am sure Billingsley has it all figured out!

15 minutes ago, rico said:

He could go over the dry wall with concrete board.

Not a good idea..that would add 1” to the thickness not counting grout therefore losing your lip around the tub. A better application would be cement board or at the very least green board then your tile

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Not a good idea..that would add 1” to the thickness not counting grout therefore losing your lip around the tub. A better application would be cement board or at the very least green board then your tile

Cement board does come 1/4".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

The reason I'll never buy a South Korean car again

My youngest was driving a 2011 Sonata I bought home from work when the engine seized. This was in 2013. She was on the feeder for I-69 north when it happened about 100 yards from the main freeway entrance ramp. I still shudder when I think what might have happened if it had hung on for another mile...

Took me 2 years to get them to replace the engine. Drove it right from the Hyundai service shop to a Toyota dealer and bought a Camry...never again...

If I remember correctly The Old Man passed away in 2012 and the son took over Kia Hyundai operations and decided they were going quality over quantity From that point on. And since then many of their cars and SUVs have won car of the year and are consistently in the top three in reliability.

I've had a Kia Sportage Hyundai Sonata and now in a Hyundai Santa Fe as we speak and I've had zero issues with them latest model year of any of them was a 15.

I got my house listed today. Poured another sidewalk, did the built-in shelves that I showed picture of previously, along with the shiplap backsplash in a bathroom, re did my fascia wrapping my posts and deck headers, lots of painting, a little mud room wall, and touched up some other stuff, and re mulched and pressure washed 1600 sq feet of decking.  Just in the last 4 weeks.  Bout killed me and my wife nearly killed me too.  

IMG_20200422_094448531.jpg

IMG_20200420_183059072.jpg

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

If I remember correctly The Old Man passed away in 2012 and the son took over Kia Hyundai operations and decided they were going quality over quantity From that point on. And since then many of their cars and SUVs have won car of the year and are consistently in the top three in reliability.

I've had a Kia Sportage Hyundai Sonata and now in a Hyundai Santa Fe as we speak and I've had zero issues with them latest model year of any of them was a 15.

I'm glad you've had good luck with them...

But the 2 years it took them to admit they had a quality control problem, and the run-around I got wasn't what I would call good business practices...and I guess I'm just a "once burned, lesson learned" kinda guy...

I don't know if you've ever tried to get anything done under the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, but unless that's changed drastically, it isn't worth the paper it's printed on...

Just a word of advice...have every bit of maintenance done at a dealership and documented to save yourself some heartache if you ever do have issues...