DIY projects

28 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thanks.  This is one that does not look overly difficult but I am afraid I don't have the right tools and it will not come out the way I have it intended. Also worried its above my skill level

Patience can replace skill pretty easily. Don't be in a hurry, take your time, spend a bunch of time making sure your corner posts are square to each other, and measure 3 times before you cut once. If you don't have a 6' level, get one, and a good 12" chop saw.

If you're "challenged" on why you need the chop saw, the correct answer is: "You want it done right, or quick?" :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DWB said:

Patience can replace skill pretty easily. Don't be in a hurry, take your time, spend a bunch of time making sure your corner posts are square to each other, and measure 3 times before you cut once. If you don't have a 6' level, get one, and a good 12" chop saw.

If you're "challenged" on why you need the chop saw, the correct answer is: "You want it done right, or quick?" :D

Thank you and excellent advise and I will take all of it I can get.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thanks.  This is one that does not look overly difficult but I am afraid I don't have the right tools and it will not come out the way I have it intended. Also worried its above my skill level

It really doesn't take much skill or tools. In addition to what DWB said ^^^, a good power drill with socket attachment will make attaching all the hardware a breeze. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you and excellent advise and I will take all of it I can get.

Dont hesitate to buy tools. In my experience you will use them more than you think and even for applications you wouldn't think of. Second the chop saw. Also doesnt have to be expensive. I paid $100 for a ryobi 10 years ago, have used the heck out of it and still going strong. One thing I wouldn't go cheap on though is cordless drills. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Reacher said:

It really doesn't take much skill or tools. In addition to what DWB said ^^^, a good power drill with socket attachment will make attaching all the hardware a breeze. 

I recently had a friend convince me to get an impact driver/drill. He told me once you get this, you'll never use your regular power drill...He was right. Reacher is right concerning getting a socket attachment for your drill. An impact driver will likely eliminate the need to hand tighten the bolts after you snug them up.  Harbor freight sells a 3 pc set of socket drivers (¼", 3/8", & ½") for like $5. So no matter what size socket you use, you've got an attachment for your drill.

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DWB said:

I recently had a friend convince me to get an impact driver/drill. He told me once you get this, you'll never use your regular power drill...He was right. Reacher is right concerning getting a socket attachment for your drill. An impact driver will likely eliminate the need to hand tighten the bolts after you snug them up.  Harbor freight sells a 3 pc set of socket drivers (¼", 3/8", & ½") for like $5. So no matter what size socket you use, you've got an attachment for your drill.

Impact driver/drill changed my life. My house is old and has solid oak studs. Impact driver is the only thing that can drive a screw into them. And makes jobs go so much quicker. I dropped the coin for a Makita set and dont regret it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dont hesitate to buy tools. In my experience you will use them more than you think and even for applications you wouldn't think of. Second the chop saw. Also doesnt have to be expensive. I paid $100 for a ryobi 10 years ago, have used the heck out of it and still going strong. One thing I wouldn't go cheap on though is cordless drills. 

1 hour ago, DWB said:

I had a cheap Home Depot Ryobi drill that lasted me a decade +. A few years ago I got a Dewalt drill/ driver combo package and love it. Use it a lot. Well worth the $. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

I had a cheap Home Depot Ryobi drill that lasted me a decade +. A few years ago I got a Dewalt drill/ driver combo package and love it. Use it a lot. Well worth the $. 

I use mostly Dewalt tools including the drill/driver and also recommend it and all their power tools. Good quality.

23 hours ago, rico said:

I took @Hoosierhoopsteradvice and stepped away from the keyboard...

I turned the corner, literally, so one more piece of metal, then flashing and then the big door.

IMG_0146.JPG

So you took a ½ hour to put away tools, materials, etc and another 10 minutes to find your phone to take the pic, and then how ever long to set up this picture, and post this. Hell...you could have finished the metal work, wired and insulated the place in less time than that !!

:rollinglaugh:

• Haha 3