Two thoughts for tuesday

Hurryin' Hoosiers wasn't just an alliterative name. It was a reference to McCracken's style of play, which emphasized the fast break. The name died out when McCracken retired in 1965.

Is there a law against reusing a team nickname like that? Of course not. But what if the Reds started referring to this year's team as "The Big Red Machine"? Just seems....off. Is "Hurryin' Hoosiers" as well known a nickname as "Big Red Machine"? No, but the principle is still the same. Not many people remember the "Go-Go Sox" (Mile, you're excluded from that comment..lol),but it's still a contrived and unoriginal idea if they started reusing it. (It's the late 50s White Sox, if you were curious).

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Hurryin' Hoosiers wasn't just an alliterative name. It was a reference to McCracken's style of play, which emphasized the fast break. The name died out when McCracken retired in 1965.

Is there a law against reusing a team nickname like that? Of course not. But what if the Reds started referring to this year's team as "The Big Red Machine"? Just seems....off. Is "Hurryin' Hoosiers" as well known a nickname as "Big Red Machine"? No, but the principle is still the same. Not many people remember the "Go-Go Sox" (Mile, you're excluded from that comment..lol),but it's still a contrived and unoriginal idea if they started reusing it. (It's the late 50s White Sox, if you were curious).

It didn't die in 1965. As late as the early 1980's, Indiana was referred to and shown on TV graphics as the Hurryin' Hoosiers on national broadcasts. Knight may have wanted it gone because of his pace.

I just think that we are too generic. Indiana Hoosiers. No mascot. Nothing to go with our logo. Just a generic IU intersected. 

6 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

It didn't die in 1965. As late as the early 1980's, Indiana was referred to and shown on TV graphics as the Hurryin' Hoosiers on national broadcasts. Knight may have wanted it gone because of his pace.

I just think that we are too generic. Indiana Hoosiers. No mascot. Nothing to go with our logo. Just a generic IU intersected. 

I have always wondered why IU never had any type of mascot,i remember when i was a kid and had an IU t-shirt with the bison  on it,i think football helmets had them on the back of helmets...they need something, the under 8 min time out is awesome but it hasnt changed in for years,be cool to see something out there during all the flag waving.

5 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

I still remember it in the 81-82 season when NBC did our games and of course Dick Enberg was on the call.

Agree, Rico!  Bring back the Bison!

I mean, the logo/mascot itself was awesome, and there's room for throwbacks.  I'm not saying retool our entire image, just add to it.  

Also, Bisons are having a bit of a resurgence.  Remember in 2016 they were made the National Mammal.  And they're already on our State Seal, so the connection of Indiana and Bison makes sense, and its us kind of assuming our position as the state's team.  

And it's just a great mascot.  Don't get me wrong, "Hoosier" is one of the best names.  But there's room for the Bison, and it makes more sense than anything.  

6 hours ago, Long Duk Dong said:

Product? Yes. Licensed? Doubtful. Not to say that the above example is bootleg or anything, but licensing wasn't a big practice then. The first three universities to seek federal trademark protection for their identities were UCLA, and that was in the mid 70s. And you can't "license" a product without some kind of protection.

https://www.stetson.edu/law/academics/highered/home/media/2002/CollegiateTrademark.pdf

In looking through the US Patent & Trademark Office's listings for references to IU, the absolute earliest I could find was 1965,but it was only for the university's seal. First applicable trademark I found that would apply to athletics was 1992.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/jumpto?f=toc&state=4806%3A6xdnhn.3.901&jumpto=801

So yes, there are probably any number of examples out there. The licensing process for the above bottles was probably something along the lines of "Hey, mind if we put something on our bottles about you? Great, thanks!"

50 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Agree, Rico!  Bring back the Bison!

I mean, the logo/mascot itself was awesome, and there's room for throwbacks.  I'm not saying retool our entire image, just add to it.  

Also, Bisons are having a bit of a resurgence.  Remember in 2016 they were made the National Mammal.  And they're already on our State Seal, so the connection of Indiana and Bison makes sense, and its us kind of assuming our position as the state's team.  

And it's just a great mascot.  Don't get me wrong, "Hoosier" is one of the best names.  But there's room for the Bison, and it makes more sense than anything.  

No problem with a bison.  But I like this one!!!!!!!!

th?id=OIP.mr6AGP3_zLrrwgMhf480oAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

There used to be bison in the state.  I think it is Michigan Rd that heads out of Indianapolis that was originally an Indian road that Native Americans used but was created by bison.  I may have the wrong road...that college class was a long time ago...but it is one of our state roads that originated that way.

3 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

There used to be bison in the state.  I think it is Michigan Rd that heads out of Indianapolis that was originally an Indian road that Native Americans used but was created by bison.  I may have the wrong road...that college class was a long time ago...but it is one of our state roads that originated that way.

Yes, bison are/were indigenous to the state.  Just as were cougars.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Two thoughts for Tuesday:

1) Tacos

2) It is valued at 33 points when placed on Triple Word space in Scrabble.

So you are saying you want a taco to be our mascot?  No wonder you have problems with women!

I don't care about the Bison or Hurryin' Hoosiers

I WANT BEER SOLD AT IU SPORTING EVENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Illinois will sell it in basketball and football next year and will sell the final three B1G baseball series this spring. 

No reason it's not sold. 

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There is a bison ranch way up here in Northern Indiana—Fremont. I know our local Meijers frequently has ground bison for sale. Not sure what other purpose the ranch holds 

Love bison...wish the stores down here had it.

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There is a bison ranch way up here in Northern Indiana—Fremont. I know our local Meijers frequently has ground bison for sale. Not sure what other purpose the ranch holds 

There is also one in NWI, and I think it is state ran.

1 hour ago, HoosierMama said:

Speaking of the bison, anyone listen to the Assembly Call?  They are always talking about these IU Bison sweatshirts from Homefield.  We CAN bring the bison back!!  They are pretty cool looking -- they have the bison on them that Rico posted above.

I think what Rico posted above is a Bull, not a Bison. 🙂  But I'm cool with Bull.

I used to have a T-shirt with that image on it.

Archived