Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

It is.  Think of the movie Can't Buy Me Love where the girl spills wine on her mom's suede dress she wasn't supposed to wear.  In this case, it was an expensive baseball jersey his dad loved. Oh, and I think Trey Kaufman would've loved the jersey as well.

And we're just spiralling further down the rabbit hole.  🤣

Expensive? I pictured a Busch Light jersey being one of those promos that you send in so many UPCs from cases. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's very much a Cincinnati-area thing.  Brewed originally by the Hudepohl Brewing Company, it's a cream ale whose hallmark was coming in 8-packs of 7oz bottles.   It's not up to today's (overly...IMO) high-end microbrew standards, but it's a step up taste-wise from your typical mainstream brands.  And damn tasty on a hot afternoon. 

If it's a "Cincy thing" like Skyline, I'll take a hard pass,,,,,,

7 hours ago, DC2345 said:

17 points and 5 rebounds in a 78-74 win against Fort Wayne Blackhawk. On a side not teammate Kooper Jacobi has 36 points and 8 rebounds. 

Jacobi single-handilly saved Silver Creek from getting blow out.  From the midway point of the first quarter until halftime, Jacobi put on an eye-popping performance.  Jacobi displayed the type of fortitude and effort that I had hoped to see from Lander.  He basically took over and said 'Silver Creek is not going to lose tonight.  I'm not going to let it happen.'  I would have to think he earned a little bump in his collegiate prospects last night,

As far as Kaufman, Furst definitely got the better of the matchup in the first quarter.  After that, it was somewhat a stalemate, with both showing skills, but neither dominating.  Both will be very good college players.  Furst is a little more polished now.  Kaufman may have a higher ceiling.  

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Jacobi single-handilly saved Silver Creek from getting blow out.  From the midway point of the first quarter until halftime, Jacobi put on an eye-popping performance.  Jacobi displayed the type of fortitude and effort that I had hoped to see from Lander.  He basically took over and said 'Silver Creek is not going to lose tonight.  I'm not going to let it happen.'  I would have to think he earned a little bump in his collegiate prospects last night,

As far as Kaufman, Furst definitely got the better of the matchup in the first quarter.  After that, it was somewhat a stalemate, with both showing skills, but neither dominating.  Both will be very good college players.  Furst is a little more polished now.  Kaufman may have a higher ceiling.  

I thought I heard Furst had 25 but fouled out...I only saw the last half of the fourth quarter...sounded like he put together a good game despite being limited.

Just now, dgambill said:

I thought I heard Furst had 25 but fouled out...I only saw the last half of the fourth quarter...sounded like he put together a good game despite being limited.

Furst fouled out with 10 seconds left in the game, so 'fouling out' was not an issue.  And, I think his 4th was just a minute prior to that.  Kaufman, meanwhile, picked up his 4th early in the 4th quarter. 

Furst was huge in the 1st quarter.  10-12 points and he stymied Kaufman down low when SC was on offense. But, SC made adjustments, brought Kaufman out to the perimeter. and that made Furst less effective.  Furst was not as effective defending out there as he was in the post. 

I was impressed with Furst.  He will be a solid post player in college.  That said, Kaufman has an advantage on the perimeter.  And, Kaufman's perimeter game is not just limited to shooting the 3.  He can actually put the ball on the floor and drive the lane.     

They can absolutely play together on the same team, because they have different games.  Do I think they would both come to IU?  No.  But, IU could not go wrong with either.  .  

Just now, dgambill said:

Kaufman also hit two big free throws to ice the game. From what I saw him and Jacobi really were pretty impressive. Jacobi going to a mid major?

Jacobi only has mid-major offers at this point (Akron, Miami OH, LaSalle, Indiana State, among others).  Supposedly, Butler was at Silver Creek's game at home on Friday night, and I assume they were there yesterday as well.  If they are not highly interested in him after yesterday, they don't know what they are doing.  The kid has a knack for getting to the right spot at the right time.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Jacobi only has mid-major offers at this point (Akron, Miami OH, LaSalle, Indiana State, among others).  Supposedly, Butler was at Silver Creek's game at home on Friday night, and I assume they were there yesterday as well.  If they are not highly interested in him after yesterday, they don't know what they are doing.  The kid has a knack for getting to the right spot at the right time.

Should we garner any interest then? 

1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

Should we garner any interest then? 

That's a tough one.  My kids go to Silver Creek, so I have a built in bias with both Kaufman and Jacobi.  So, I have to keep that in mind whenever I talk about their potential.  

I will say a couple of things in regards to Jacobi.

• It would not surprise me at all that, if he were to get a shot at a high major, he could stuff a box score with stats like 12-14 points, 5-7 boards, 2-3 assists, and a couple of steals per game.  He plays he butt off and he knows how to play the game.  If you watch him play on regular basis, you would be surprised at how many times he comes from out of nowhere to make a play.  Last night, on the boards, there were time that, even we he did not corral a rebound, he impacted who got the rebound.
  • In my opinion, Jacobi will excel more at a free-flowing game than a grind it out one.  I'm not talking about an up and down track meet, but a game with heavy motion and not a lot clogging up the middle.    He's going to have more of an impact using quickness, instinct, and a strong basketball IQ than he will using brute strength or raw athleticism.  Bob Knight would love Kooper Jacobi's game.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That's a tough one.  My kids go to Silver Creek, so I have a built in bias with both Kaufman and Jacobi.  So, I have to keep that in mind whenever I talk about their potential.  

• It would not surprise me at all that, if he were to get a shot at a high major, he could stuff a box score with stats like 12-14 points, 5-7 boards, 2-3 assists, and a couple of steals per game.  He plays he butt off and he knows how to play the game.  If you watch him play on regular basis, you would be surprised at how many times he comes from out of nowhere to make a play.  Last night, on the boards, there were time that, even we he did not corral a rebound, he impacted who got the rebound.
  • In my opinion, Jacobi will excel more at a free-flowing game than a grind it out one.  I'm not talking about an up and down track meet, but a game with heavy motion and not a lot clogging up the middle.    He's going to have more of an impact using quickness, instinct, and a strong basketball IQ than he will using brute strength or raw athleticism.  Bob Knight would love Kooper Jacobi's game.

Thanks for the insight. When you said Butler should look at him, my first thought was, why shouldn't we? These are the kinds of kids we don't go after enough in my opinion. I'm not saying only kids like this, but rather ones that would round out a nice class of 4-5.  I posted in the 21 recruiting thread who I thought a good class might be...this type of kid is what I mentioned last, as a hidden gem who contributes as an upperclassman, or sooner. 

7 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Thanks for the insight. When you said Butler should look at him, my first thought was, why shouldn't we? These are the kinds of kids we don't go after enough in my opinion. I'm not saying only kids like this, but rather ones that would round out a nice class of 4-5.  I posted in the 21 recruiting thread who I thought a good class might be...this type of kid is what I mentioned last, as a hidden gem who contributes as an upperclassman, or sooner. 

IU invested heavy on the wings in 2020 with Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo,  Toss in Anderson and Hunter on the current roster and that's a lot of bodies for that size and skill set.  I have to think big bodies, ball-handling guards, and sharp-shooters are going to be more of IU's focus in 2021 versus adding another wing.  

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU invested heavy on the wings in 2020 with Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo,  Toss in Anderson and Hunter on the current roster and that's a lot of bodies for that size and skill set.  I have to think big bodies, ball-handling guards, and sharp-shooters are going to be more of IU's focus in 2021 versus adding another wing.  

I agree!  My lord we are dying for shooters and true ball handlers 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sounds to me like he will ruin any chance Kaufman has at a Mr. Basketball next year. He sounds like a nightmare to play against. I would much rather game plan for Trey than someone like Kooper. He is too good but dang imagine he become a preferred walk on and bring Trey next year with him.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Sounds to me like he will ruin any chance Kaufman has at a Mr. Basketball next year. He sounds like a nightmare to play against. I would much rather game plan for Trey than someone like Kooper. He is too good but dang imagine he become a preferred walk on and bring Trey next year with him.

I don’t see any chance that Jacobi passes up a scholarship from another school to be a walk on. His recruitment has a good chance of growing too the way that he is playing this year. 

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t see any chance that Jacobi passes up a scholarship from another school to be a walk on. His recruitment has a good chance of growing too the way that he is playing this year. 

Oh I know I know...at this point I'd even take Jacobi and Goode to get Furst and Kaufman lol. Just wouldn't want to miss out on Wesley.

Archived