Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Appreciate your kind words.

Let me leave it at this. The Furst commit never deterred the Black and Gold from still going after Trey.  In fact it accelerated their attempt.  Shortly after the commit. Trey has said the B & G told him they believe both of them can play together.

Stay strong Hoosier Sports Nation !

They can both play together...no doubt about that. That said I think they both fit best as a 4. Trey can float around to the 3 pt line but I don’t think in the end he needs to spend all his time out there. He strikes me as the Alan Henderson type but with 3 range. I think Furst knows his best chance at the pros is to learn to step out as well but certainly is more accomplished back to the basket player right now. Painter landing Kaufman would be a bigger get than Archie pulling Rob out of Lafayette.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The full court press is definitely still on. Painter is working the angle of Kaufman being able to play alongside Furst which seems to be resonating. I still think it’s unlikely he goes to Purdue but that would be a hell of a frontcourt. 

What makes you say that?

49 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Some of the comments he made when he was interviewed by the Purdue rivals site a week or so ago at the Midwest Invitational in Indy. Talked about how he and Caleb could play alongside one another. 

You realize that if he was interviewed by the Montana State press, he would say nice things abut them as well.  

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don’t think he’ll ultimately end up at Purdue (haven’t thought that since Furst committed). But we’re still trying and he’s still open to hearing from us which doesn’t hurt. 

It's like the nice guy who's just too nice to tell the ugly girl that he just wants to be friends...😜

Another.... oh by the way in terms of Trey. Aside from PU.  Just a couple of days ago.When asked about Virginia. Said, he is going have to strongly consider them due to Coach Bennett's reputation for developing players.   Developing players is high on the list of who Trey is considering.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Another.... oh by the way in terms of Trey. Aside from PU.  Just a couple of days ago.When asked about Virginia. Said, he is going have to strongly consider them due to Coach Bennett's reputation for developing players.   Developing players is high on the list of who Trey is considering.

I don't love that but thanks for the information.

One more thing in terms of IU chances.  Trey loves how Coach Miller has locked up the state of Indiana.  And is really thinking about not breaking the current line of Mr. BB's to attend IU.  Kid has a lot to consider.  None less than not playing in Indiana for his mom to easily watch.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't love that but thanks for the information.

As I just posted.  Think Virginia will eventually get dropped... due to distance from home. As Trey has said he wants mom to attend his games.  But then again...that is only my take on how things are shaping out right now.

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's not just mom.  Trey has two sets of grandparents that NEVER miss a game.  

True. Really think that will weigh heavily on his choice.  After all.  What kid would not want to have his mom and grandparents in the stands ?

We all know all about Christian Watford.  Who's parents wore out not one but two vans traveling miles to watch him play.

But the thing with mom. Not saying she will be making the final decision. But is playing a major part in the decision making.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

One more thing for now.  Trey really values his mom's opinion. And the both of them have been closely evaluating all his offers.

And I believe (and have said this before) his mom is high on IU and Ostrom. I messaged with her once when she posted a pic with an IU hoodie. I said, “nice hoodie!”  She came back with, “yes sir!”  🙂

8 hours ago, hoosierfan34 said:

And I believe (and have said this before) his mom is high on IU and Ostrom. I messaged with her once when she posted a pic with an IU hoodie. I said, “nice hoodie!”  She came back with, “yes sir!”  🙂

Thanks for all the info you’ve provided. Youve been great on this recruitment. 
That said that remark is about as about the same as someone said Trey was being nice to say he was still considering PU even with the Furst commitment. I’m sure his mom was doing the same.  All the things Trey is considering I think we sit right there when considering us. Honestly I think the kid would like to take visits so he can rule out places more than change his mind off of IU. Kinda like I just want to make sure I don’t regret not at least seeing the other schools. Unfortunately for him I’m not sure that will happen...kinda disappointing for the kids in that regards. Honestly I’d rather them make the decision with their whole head and heart then always wonder what if? Especially if things don’t go as planned first year and they think about transferring or something.

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So much wrong in one sentence I don’t even know where to begin. 

I agree. I’m an IU fan first and foremost..but I appreciate Painter and his ability to coach. He is a smart guy and I do think he gets the most out of his players. The NBA issue is more of the fact he doesn’t get NBA talented kids to begin with unfortunately because of the limitations with the school. How many sure fire OAD or McDonald all Americans has he landed there? Honestly if anything I think he gets players to overachieve at the college level by tailoring his offense to his talent and by putting his best players in position to be successful but honestly he hasn’t had too many top flight nba ballers. Perhaps because of the slower pace of play and the physical brand of ball he emphasizes scares away that type of player or the school and location but he just doesn’t attract them. It doesn’t help that his particular expertise per say has been big men and the nba has moved away from traditional bigs that he has had. Guys like Swannigan and Helms etc etc would have had likely good careers 15-20 years ago. Maybe him taking the chains off Carson a couple years ago and letting him shoot at will which led them to within a bucket of a final four will help him with these newer recruits but he is a tough minded old school coach (which I respect) but this isn’t the age of the coach...it’s the age of the player...and while I applauded his comments about guys transferring...to a player it might be a turn off in today’s recruiting.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks for all the info you’ve provided. Youve been great on this recruitment. 
That said that remark is about as about the same as someone said Trey was being nice to say he was still considering PU even with the Furst commitment. I’m sure his mom was doing the same.  All the things Trey is considering I think we sit right there when considering us. Honestly I think the kid would like to take visits so he can rule out places more than change his mind off of IU. Kinda like I just want to make sure I don’t regret not at least seeing the other schools. Unfortunately for him I’m not sure that will happen...kinda disappointing for the kids in that regards. Honestly I’d rather them make the decision with their whole head and heart then always wonder what if? Especially if things don’t go as planned first year and they think about transferring or something.

Yeah, I get it. I mean, I didn’t really post that exchange with the intent of it being a predictor he’ll pick IU. But, I was simply sharing her respone because his mom could’ve simply a) not responded or b) maybe just came back with a laughing emoji or something. I know they like Ostrom. That’s not a guess. At the end of the day, if Trey pops for IU, I know his mom will be THRILLED. 

1 minute ago, hoosierfan34 said:

Yeah, I get it. I mean, I didn’t really post that exchange with the intent of it being a predictor he’ll pick IU. But, I was simply sharing her respone because his mom could’ve simply a) not responded or b) maybe just came back with a laughing emoji or something. I know they like Ostrom. That’s not a guess. At the end of the day, if Trey pops for IU, I know his mom will be THRILLED. 

Thanks for input. It's always appreciated.

11 minutes ago, hoosierfan34 said:

I know. I know. Just pointing out the double standard of others making the point to go after Boiler and his positive comments that Trey made. I don’t think Trey will end up at Purdue but at this point they are still in the hunt and if Matt is still working his angle they have a chance. They’ve had more recent success than us, they are an Indiana school still so not crazy out of foot print for family, and they have a great science school and we know education is important. Lots of good reasons to consider them. Again at the end of day I think we give him the best combo of deciding factors.

I suppose there can be a degree of credit a coach can get for "developing" a player, but my belief is that more often than not the player either starts with superior talent would likely make it to the next level or has the internal drive to improve as part of his make up.  D Wade or Victor O would have become what they did/are under any number of coaches.  I can see where many factors by a coach (and staff including S&C) can help a player immensely, but probably the biggest factor is style of play and how a given player is used in that system.

Cal probably has one of the highest reputations for getting players to the league, but FFS he's starting out with players that could have been drafted out of high school if it were allowed.  I kind of see it like auto racing - where the coach is the driver and the player is the car.

All that said, obviously some coaches are better than others based on success.  Painter is an outstanding coach, doing things his way (reliance on system) other coaches may succeed because by being good salesmen recruiters.  There's a lot of very capable coaches and that's why recruiting is so cut-throat.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know. I know. Just pointing out the double standard of others making the point to go after Boiler and his positive comments that Trey made. I don’t think Trey will end up at Purdue but at this point they are still in the hunt and if Matt is still working his angle they have a chance. They’ve had more recent success than us, they are an Indiana school still so not crazy out of foot print for family, and they have a great science school and we know education is important. Lots of good reasons to consider them. Again at the end of day I think we give him the best combo of deciding factors.

Just an FYI.  Every time I 'go after' Boiler about Purdue is all in fun. 

It's not really a double standard to take a few fun jabs at a rival fan posting on our board,  I would expect nothing else if I went to the Purdue board and posted.   

Archived