First Car, Worst Car, Favorite Car

IUFLA

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have to admit I currently have a dead Stratus in my drive that I use as redneck security. (makes people think there is always somebody home) Thing is the drive train is actually in very good shape, I believe the computer died. But since I had bought it in auction, for less than it would take to fix it, decided it was time to move on!

Great idea.  Back it into the drive way. That way, if you have a HOA or County Watch Dog... they won't be able to tell your registration is expired.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First - 1967 Mercury Cougar

Favorite - 1988 Mustang Gt 5-speed bought new upon college graduation. Put 321,000 miles on her and never took to a mechanic.

Current - 2009 Honda Ridgeline (replaced mustang)

Not counting wife's or kids cars that I bought these are the only three cars i have owned/driven daily.

I don't like change and am frugal.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:48 PM, Drroogh said:

First Car: 66 VW beetle. Had a lot of fun in that car, close to being my favorite.

Worst Car: Don't know what years (mid 70's) ford Fairmont. Wife's car when we got married.

Favorite Car: 60 Porsche 356B Super 90 Cabriolet 

My wife brought a 1972 Comet GT (a bastardized Maverick with a Mecury nameplate and racing stripes) to our marriage. I had the aforementioned Trans Am.

Saving grace was, she didn't know how to drive a manual, and I wasn't about to teach her.

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

First car- 1990 Pontiac Grand Am that I bought new after graduating IU

Favorite and Current- 2016 GMC Canyon

1991_pontiac_grand-am_coupe_se_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

Canyon w sliders.jpg

Reacher. That is one fine looking truck you have there. I love the custom taillights, and the American flag. Have you given consideration to retrofitting the new GMC multifunction tailgate ? Not sure if if can be done. But, it would be rad on your GMC.

GMC  MultiPro Tailgate 

Nice neighborhood, by the way. 

21 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I thought that was the Intrepid?

Loved the Intrepid...had three of them.  One bought & sold as a rebuilt, One totaled by another driver and one to replace the totaled one.  I flew to Dallas and drove that one back off-lease for the insurance money.  I think I had maybe $400 all-in after insurance, gained 3 years and took over 50,000 miles off of it.

Gave away my wife's 2003 Town & Country minivan at 127K miles thinking it had a transmission issue.  It had also been sideswiped so we kept the insurance money to buy something else and gave away the wrinkled van.  It's still going today at almost 260K miles.

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And end thread. Nobody is topping that.

A one legged man on a bicycle is faster than a 3 cylinder automatic Metro.

On my way back to IU from Columbus the old Metro could not make it up the hill into Bloomington so I parked it at w house and caller a friend to bring his Dodge Ram. He pulled me up the hill and I drove it straight to the Ford Dealership by Bloomington south and traded it in on a new Mustang.  No more problems making it up the hill unless it snowed

18 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Reacher. That is one fine looking truck you have there. I love the custom taillights, and the American flag. Have you given consideration to retrofitting the new GMC multifunction tailgate ? Not sure if if can be done. But, it would be rad on your GMC.

GMC  MultiPro Tailgate 

Nice neighborhood, by the way. 

Thanks. My first pickup and I have been putting it to work. Going to take it on a 4000 mile road trip to the Canadian Rockies this fall. I'm actually getting into detailing it as a hobby. 

The taillights are stock. I rotate magnets on the tailgate. The flag for patriotic holidays, IU come basketball season, Bears on game days, White Sox in the spring. 

I do love the tailgate but it is currently only for the full size trucks. While cool, it is a bit of overkill, IMO as I doubt I'd use much of the versatility.

I just moved out of that neighborhood in May. Downsized to a ranch now that kids are out of high school. Wanted to get out of IL and the taxes etc - seriously considered NWI- but ended up staying in the SW suburbs.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Now hold on...you know Ford never let Chevy have the last word on crappiness...

Hence, the Ford Festiva (weak IL 4 banger). I had a friend loan me a Festiva for a trip from the Florida Panhandle to Atlantic City, NJ. 

What a trip that was...

I was struggling to crest the hills on I85 through North Carolina. Usually, I was down to 40mph by the time I got to the top. 70 mph on the way down, though!

Side note: as a present for my friend's generosity, I put new tires on it. Cost me $112 out the door for all 4.

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

My brother-in-law has a metro. That car is a rust bucket but it gets great gas mileage.

I refuse to ride in it. I am not ready to die just yet.

15 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

My brother-in-law has a metro. That car is a rust bucket but it gets great gas mileage.

I refuse to ride in it. I am not ready to die just yet.

Here's a scarier thought: someone thought it was a good idea to build a convertible Metro.

What were the tag lines in those ads? "The Metro convertible: when you don't give a #$&@ anymore." "Die with the wind in your hair"

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Now hold on...you know Ford never let Chevy have the last word on crappiness...

Hence, the Ford Festiva (weak IL 4 banger). I had a friend loan me a Festiva for a trip from the Florida Panhandle to Atlantic City, NJ. 

What a trip that was...

I was struggling to crest the hills on I85 through North Carolina. Usually, I was down to 40mph by the time I got to the top. 70 mph on the way down, though!

Side note: as a present for my friend's generosity, I put new tires on it. Cost me $112 out the door for all 4.

Not sure if this is better or worse, but those cars weren't really Fords and Chevrolets. The Metro was a rebadged Suzuki Swift, and the Festiva was (and I'm not making this up) designed by Mazda and built by Kia. And this was pre-Hyundai Kia, when Kia stood for Krap In Automobiles.

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

On my way back to IU from Columbus the old Metro could not make it up the hill into Bloomington so I parked it at w house and caller a friend to bring his Dodge Ram. He pulled me up the hill and I drove it straight to the Ford Dealership by Bloomington south and traded it in on a new Mustang.  No more problems making it up the hill unless it snowed

Reminds me of a similar situation. Had a roommate from HS.  He had an old Chevy Nova, that he bought out of scrap yard. Just to put around. Kept it on campus in the summers. Was never towed away.  Never took it off campus, except to drive it to Colonial Crest. Where we shared the apartment, with another HS friend of ours.  Anyway. We graduated. So he needed to drive the Nova from B-town back to Gary.

The Nova would slow down over some hills. And then I saw him driving all over the road. And it was raining.  I was driving my '67 Caprice (chick magnet at that time). We stopped at a gas station. And I asked him what was going on. He said he had the  Nova floored to the board. But hit a puddle of water, which splashed water through the floor board. Obscuring his vision, as he wore glasses.  And for a while could not see where he was going.  Next. Hit a big hill on 37. I was following him. And pushed the Nova up the hill with my Caprice. No damage to either vehicle.  LOL.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

OMG. I didn't even think of the commercial.  But I do remember it. A mile high salute. Goes out to you. My friend.

Thanks. Some advertising agencies make their bones by including a jingle that's hard to forget...no matter how bad the product.

The 1980s weren't the best years for US automakers.

27 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not sure if this is better or worse, but those cars weren't really Fords and Chevrolets. The Metro was a rebadged Suzuki Swift, and the Festiva was (and I'm not making this up) designed by Mazda and built by Kia. And this was pre-Hyundai Kia, when Kia stood for Krap In Automobiles.

I have owned 5 Kia's and will own more I am sure. Nothing but positive from me. My grandfather who passed several years ago, but when i bought my first Kia in 2003 he said he would take me to any dealership and put me in a GM and take care of the difference. He fought in Korean and could not believe that I bought one. I told him if (at the time) GM had anything on the market that cold give me the mileage and look as nice I would take him on it. 200K miles later I traded that Optima in for a new Kia Sedona. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have owned 5 Kia's and will own more I am sure. Nothing but positive from me. My grandfather who passed several years ago, but when i bought my first Kia in 2003 he said he would take me to any dealership and put me in a GM and take care of the difference. He fought in Korean and could not believe that I bought one. I told him if (at the time) GM had anything on the market that cold give me the mileage and look as nice I would take him on it. 200K miles later I traded that Optima in for a new Kia Sedona. 

Reminds me of the time I drove my 1992 Mazda MPV into my uncle's (who fought in Pearl Harbor...USS Raleigh) driveway...

I had some splainin to do...

Archived