Business Idea

Rev_AK

After 25 years, I am considering changing careers. I cannot find a home church, and recently lost out as a finalist to a 24 year old with no experience because he has a Master’s degree, you know, just like the disciples had... Anyway, a family member has offered to invest money and help me get off the “hamster wheel” and own my own business. Without the obvious implications of stealing ideas, and my brother’s insistence that we start a robot brothel, ( umm, no) what would be a good area to dive into???

23 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

After 25 years, I am considering changing careers. I cannot find a home church, and recently lost out as a finalist to a 24 year old with no experience because he has a Master’s degree, you know, just like the disciples had... Anyway, a family member has offered to invest money and help me get off the “hamster wheel” and own my own business. Without the obvious implications of stealing ideas, and my brother’s insistence that we start a robot brothel, ( umm, no) what would be a good area to dive into???

As someone who started their own 15 years ago it's the greatest and worst way to live, make $,etc....but wouldn't have it any other way. With that said I have a few ideas I'm tossing around for ancillary income to see if one of them hits. Unfortunately I won't be sharing on this thread. Haha. What I would suggest in today's world is find a service or ability that few want to do and will gladly pay for it. 

I'll give you one example. Good friend of mine was a lawyer here in town. Just was burned out. She started a dog walking business for busy professionals who always can't get home during day or don't want kennel time when they go on vacation. 7 years later...she has 8 Full Time employees and a very, very nice business earning more than what she earned as a 2400 hour per year (billable) attorney.

You'd be surprised that people hand over $75/week for a 15 minute walk during the day. Good luck with things! I can help or suggest things on the peripheral but not specific ideas.

48 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

That's amazing you can't find a home church...around me, the complaint I always hear is there aren't enough ministers to go around.

My recommendation is start with what interests you, but pass on photography.  There are a blue million photographers out there and very few of them make any real money.  Also, restaurants have a 95% failure rate so I'd pass on that as well. 

One thing here there seems to be a huge need for is in-home care for the elderly, but I would guess that hiring and screening caregivers could be a real headache.  There are also very few qualified gunsmiths around me.  How's that for a couple of very divergent ideas?

If you go with something you love/that really interests you, your odds of success greatly improve.

Depends on the population in your area but a home delivery/transport service(groceries-stores are starting to shop for you so no lost time just pick up, household goods , transport people to dr appointments or wherever one needs to go) could work.

Maybe even include a meal prep service as part of it. My wife has and elderly massage client that she helps around the house on the side. She was recovering from a surgery so once a week my wife would meal prep for an hour or so. The lady loved it and paid well for it. 

Good points above. I'm also a business owner and as Seeking6 said- wouldn't have it any other way.

The point I'd add is to look into the future the best you can to make sure you won't be outsourced. Both service and home health are great areas. I was approached to invest in buying a home to convert to allow 4-5 seniors to live there. Thought it was a great concept. 

People will always need their houses/ yards / dogs/ kids/ etc looked after so find something you like  and research the competition. Maybe you can learn from an existing bbusiness and buyout the owner on favorable terms?

Just NREMT. I worked as a technician in an ER for many years. I had a chance at the “green to gold program” when I was in the Army if I would have re upped, to be a PA. Instead, went to seminary. I also had a long stent as a manager of a chick Fil a, so  in other words, I always put ministry first. Luckily, my wife of 25 years has loved me enough to allow me to pursue my dream. But after this long, and a mid-life crisis, I want a change.

8 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Just NREMT. I worked as a technician in an ER for many years. I had a chance at the “green to gold program” when I was in the Army if I would have re upped, to be a PA. Instead, went to seminary. I also had a long stent as a manager of a chick Fil a, so  in other words, I always put ministry first. Luckily, my wife of 25 years has loved me enough to allow me to pursue my dream. But after this long, and a mid-life crisis, I want a change.

Another question you may not want to get into, what denomination?  

2 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

You probably aren't interested but you could most likely direct commission to a captain chaplain in the army with an age waiver of course.  

I'm a partner in a start-up/small business as well, and while it isn't for the faint of heart, I also wouldn't have it any other way. While our company still has a long way to go, it's one of the most rewarding, terrifying, fun, scary things you can do. Everyone is wired differently, but for me I have to be passionate about what I'm doing. I just wouldn't be able to look at the market and discover there's a huge need for ball bearings and then start a ball bearing business. It's just not me. 

So my advice would be to of course look at the needs of the market, as someone else said look at the future prospects of where society, technology and those markets are heading, and then also marry those things with ideas you're passionate about. Again, everyone is wired differently, but my experience with a start-up is that it's much easier to grind and put in the hard, long hours when you're doing some you love. 

Archived