is this coach high, or what?

coachv

23 hours ago, BGleas said:

To me, the keys to successful season where IU is one of the surprise teams is:

- Can Phinisee stay healthy and make a leap to become one of the top echelon point guards in the conference?

- Is TJD ready to perform like some of our past McDonald's AA's have? Bryant, Zeller, etc. Not that he has to be as good as those guys, but is he close?

- Is Hunter 100% and can he be a consistent, go-to scorer? Not saying he has to average 16-17ppg like Langford, but is he a guy that can get some buckets when the offense is sputtering a bit and a guy that can hit those tough shots when the team needs it?

- Can Green be a leader and perform consistently?

- Will a bench shooter/scorer develop between Anderson and Franklin?

There are a lot of 'if's' there, but if those things happen and the team stays relatively healthy, I don't see why they can't finish in the top 5 or so of the conference and be a tourney lock. 

I think these five ifs you put forth have shown up in numerous threads at different times in discussion of the upcoming season. Enough so that I think these are the consensus five big ifs for this season. Having said that, here a are a few questions for you and others as well for the sake of discussion. 

1.  What is the ceiling if we hit positive on all five ifs?

2.  How many do we need to hit positive on to bare minimum make the tournament?  

3.  Is there a hierarchy to the ifs?  Is there a most important if?  

4.  Which is the most likely if?  The least likely?  

I thought about turning this whole series of questions into a new thread, but this was easier and I wanted to make sure @BGleas got credit for laying the ifs out. 

11 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I think these five ifs you put forth have shown up in numerous threads at different times in discussion of the upcoming season. Enough so that I think these are the consensus five big ifs for this season. Having said that, here a are a few questions for you and others as well for the sake of discussion. 

I thought about turning this whole series of questions into a new thread, but this was easier and I wanted to make sure @BGleas got credit for laying the ifs out. 

1) A top 5 finish in the conference

2) 3

3) Green playing consistent and Hunters health

4) most likely RP being the point guard we think he can be.  Least likely would be getting shooting off the bench from Anderson.

56 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Haha, no need for the credit, but I appreciate it! Awesome post by the way, instead of just replying you sparked even more discussion which is really fun. Well done!

Here's my thoughts on your questions.

1. Probably a 3rd place finish in conference if everything comes together.

2. 3 probably minimum.

3. Tough one. I'd probably go TJD, Hunter, Phinisee, Green, bench shooter. To expand on this one, I think TJD having a McDonald's AA type impact cures a lot of ailments. We've seen what adding Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant can do to teams that really struggled the year prior to their arrival. A McDonald's AA big performing at a high level can change a lot of things. Hunter and Phinisee I debated on. This roster really needs a 'go-to' scorer but at the same time Phinisee is such a huge part of the program's growth and is a point guard. Ultimate I went with Hunter because his development seems all or nothing, and we know even a freshmen (but healthy) level Phinisee is a strong asset. Green I put 4th because I think if the prior 3 things come to fruition, then Green being consistent is almost a certainty. Those prior three things will open up the floor so much for this team and Green in particular. 

4. I'll hedge my bets and say TJD and/or Phinisee. I think those two and Hunter (if healthy and 100%) are the most talented guys on the roster, it's just difficult to pick Hunter here because there is so much unknown. 

Again, awesome post @Parakeet Jones!

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, no need for the credit, but I appreciate it! Awesome post by the way, instead of just replying you sparked even more discussion which is really fun. Well done!

Here's my thoughts on your questions.

1. Probably a 3rd place finish in conference if everything comes together.

2. 3 probably minimum.

3. Tough one. I'd probably go TJD, Hunter, Phinisee, Green, bench shooter. To expand on this one, I think TJD having a McDonald's AA type impact cures a lot of ailments. We've seen what adding Cody Zeller and Thomas Bryant can do to teams that really struggled the year prior to their arrival. A McDonald's AA big performing at a high level can change a lot of things. Hunter and Phinisee I debated on. This roster really needs a 'go-to' scorer but at the same time Phinisee is such a huge part of the program's growth and is a point guard. Ultimate I went with Hunter because his development seems all or nothing, and we know even a freshmen (but healthy) level Phinisee is a strong asset. Green I put 4th because I think if the prior 3 things come to fruition, then Green being consistent is almost a certainty. Those prior three things will open up the floor so much for this team and Green in particular. 

4. I'll hedge my bets and say TJD and/or Phinisee. I think those two and Hunter (if healthy and 100%) are the most talented guys on the roster, it's just difficult to pick Hunter here because there is so much unknown. 

Again, awesome post @Parakeet Jones!

Thanks for the kind words. I went to Hoosier Hysteria for the first time in years and even though I know you can’t take much away from it, I left super impressed with TJD. I think this kid could surprise a lot of folks this season. I liked how you referenced the freshman seasons of Zeller and Bryant. That type of impact certainly would be huge. Again,  to put too much on HH, but I feel better about that likelihood now than I might have a week ago. 

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Thanks for the kind words. I went to Hoosier Hysteria for the first time in years and even though I know you can’t take much away from it, I left super impressed with TJD. I think this kid could surprise a lot of folks this season. I liked how you referenced the freshman seasons of Zeller and Bryant. That type of impact certainly would be huge. Again,  to put too much on HH, but I feel better about that likelihood now than I might have a week ago. 

I'm no expert on TJD, as I don't live in Indiana so all I've seen are highlight clips, but I have consistently said all summer that he's the least hyped McDonald's All-American I can remember Indiana having. In my opinion, TJD having an impactful season is right up there in terms of importance as Hunter being legit and healthy.

If those two can deliver, and it's a lot to ask of two guys that haven't played a minute yet, IU just added two NBA guys to the roster. That's huge. 

On 10/9/2019 at 12:12 PM, BGleas said:

I'm no expert on TJD, as I don't live in Indiana so all I've seen are highlight clips, but I have consistently said all summer that he's the least hyped McDonald's All-American I can remember Indiana having. In my opinion, TJD having an impactful season is right up there in terms of importance as Hunter being legit and healthy.

If those two can deliver, and it's a lot to ask of two guys that haven't played a minute yet, IU just added two NBA guys to the roster. That's huge. 

Like you I've never seen TJD play live, but as I posted somewhere else, when I watched a compilation clip of TJD he reminded me, kind of oddly, of Cody - in the way he played, moved and in the now-and-then outside shot. 

Cody's impact was of course monstrous considering the prior season. It would be a lot to put that kind of expectation on TJD, and I really don't know how capable he is at this point. But Cody was undervalued coming in -- pretty much no one anticipated the level of contribution he made in his frosh year, partly because he came onto campus thin and was expected to get pushed around, then he put on 25 lbs of muscle over the summer in the conditioning program.

TJD to me kind of moves the same, he shows some flashes of athleticism but I would not (on what limited views I have) describe him as exceptionally athletic. But then, he also looks to have a really big upside and is definitely coming in under-valued, imo.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:12 AM, BGleas said:

One does not have to live in Indiana to know that TJD is the real deal. 

On 10/12/2019 at 12:08 AM, coachv said:

it's not over,,,but it escalating

read from bottom, up

On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:57 PM, atomic boy <atomicboy_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

by tyler smith about the iu basketball team

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 11:57:45 AM EDT, Tina McGrady <tmcgrady@jrpress.com> wrote:

What story are you reporting has been published with errors? I am not a mind reader, nor am I high.

Tina McGrady
Editor

On Oct 9, 2019, at 2:28 PM, atomic boy <atomicboy_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

no. your paper-your credibility

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 02:26:06 PM EDT, Tina McGrady <tmcgrady@jrpress.com> wrote:

Since this is a sports column issue, please direct your comments and what you believe needs changed to the columnist Tyler Smith or to JR sports editor Jared McMurry. He can be reached by email at jmcmurry@jrpress.com.

Thank you for reading the Journal Review.

Tina McGrady
Editor
Journal Review

I understand your point, however, the best way to get errors corrected is to go to the source, and that is where I have directed you.

You still have not identified what errors need corrected. If you refuse to do that, I cannot help you.

Tina McGrady
Editor
Journal Review

To:Tina McGrady
Oct 9 at 5:26 PM

i could not care less about your "news"paper's reputation. just a whole bunch of indiana fans making fun of your writer and website on a fan site. if you want to pay me to be a freelance editor, i will gladly fire tyler smith and correct your drivel.

If you have a problem with Journal Review sports page, I can help you fix your problem. 

So either call me, don’t read our newspaper anymore. Not going to hurt my feelings.
On Oct 10, 2019, at 3:14 PM, atomic boy <atomicboy_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

oooo. sounds ominous. what do you want?

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019, 06:53:00 PM EDT, Jared McMurry <jmcmurry@jrpress.com> wrote:

atomic boy <atomicboy_x@yahoo.com>
To:Jared McMurry
Oct 12 at 12:03 AM

jesus christ! did you even bother to read the f**king thing? what the hell's the matter with you people? have you no pride in your work? shaking my head at how far newspapers have fallen

6 minutes ago, coachv said:
atomic boy <atomicboy_x@yahoo.com>
To:Jared McMurry

Oct 13 at 9:28 AM

that is because i posted it to the most popular indiana fan site and we're having a field day laughing at it. stick to mowing lawns because you are not a newspaper man

That's seriously one of your best contributions here...just pure awesome...

ROFL.jpg.e0c99bfb2bd4cd22aa7c1043a833265e.jpg

Archived