IMHO. The reasons why Calipari does not want to play.....

....IU in Bloomington ever again.

Yeah, I know we've hashed and rehashed this topic in the past. However....

Just recently...

Cal claimed he offered to play IU twice in Indianapolis. But IU turned him down.

Reason number one why Cal does not want to play IU in B-town ever again. Despite having a superior team :

He does not want  IU Fans to  Celebrate a Win Over a No. 1 team. 

And reason why he would want to play IU in Indianapolis ...

He would like to punch a hole in the fence Coach Miller is putting up, in terms of not letting the best Indiana kids leave the state.

Again. Just my humble opinion.  Feel free to comment or not.   Love ya all Hoosier Sports Nation.  Today, is one day closer to IUBB. Yes !

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just recently...

Cal claimed he offered to play IU twice in Indianapolis. But IU turned him down.

Reason number one why Cal does not want to play IU in B-town ever again. Despite having a superior team :

He would like to punch a hole in the fence Coach Miller is putting up, in terms of not letting the best Indiana kids leave the state.

Again. Just my humble opinion.  Feel free to comment or not.   Love ya all Hoosier Sports Nation.  Today, is one day closer to IUBB. Yes !

Great Video.  Did you take that?

Noticed the new ESPN commercial has the Shot at the end again.

This is one topic where I wish Fred Glass would be more creative. Would I love IU/UK to be home and home? Sure, that would be fun and great for the game. But, where college basketball is going is these larger event style showcases in the preseason. 

If I'm Glass and the home/home is a non-starter for UK and two games in Indy is a non-starter for IU, then instead of walking away I'm proposing something creative. You guys don't want to play in Bloomington and we don't want to play in Indy 2 out of every 4, so how about we take this thing on the road? 

The 8-year cycle goes:

Year 1: Indy

Year 2: NYC

Year 3: YUM Center/Louisville

Year 4: Dallas

Then you go:

Year 5: Indy

Year 6: DC

Year 7: YUM/Louisville

Year 8: Vegas

Let's turn this thing into an event. Every 4 years there are two games close by for the fans (the Indy game placates Cal) and every 4 years there are two games in cool, fun cities that you can build recruiting pipelines and/or fans might want to go visit. Make this a made-for-TV thing that put IU (and UK) in the spotlight. Maybe in the years where you're playing in random cities there's an undercard game (Texas vs. Auburn in Dallas for example). 

Instead of everyone walking away because they're mad they're not getting their way, let's get creative and find a win-win. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is one topic where I wish Fred Glass would be more creative. Would I love IU/UK to be home and home? Sure, that would be fun and great for the game. But, where college basketball is going is these larger event style showcases in the preseason. 

If I'm Glass and the home/home is a non-starter for UK and two games in Indy is a non-starter for IU, then instead of walking away I'm proposing something creative. You guys don't want to play in Bloomington and we don't want to play in Indy 2 out of every 4, so how about we take this thing on the road? 

The 8-year cycle goes:

Year 1: Indy

Year 2: NYC

Year 3: YUM Center/Louisville

Year 4: Dallas

Then you go:

Year 5: Indy

Year 6: DC

Year 7: YUM/Louisville

Year 8: Vegas

Let's turn this thing into an event. Every 4 years there are two games close by for the fans (the Indy game placates Cal) and every 4 years there are two games in cool, fun cities that you can build recruiting pipelines and/or fans might want to go visit. Make this a made-for-TV thing that put IU (and UK) in the spotlight. Maybe in the years where you're playing in random cities there's an undercard game (Texas vs. Auburn in Dallas for example). 

Instead of everyone walking away because they're mad they're not getting their way, let's get creative and find a win-win. 

I like your creative thinking.  Have you ever had PR experience in this, in the past ?   Just kidding.

I especially like the Vegas venue. 

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Just recently...

I can't disagree with anything you've said here.  Cal knows what a tough venue Assembly Hall is, but he was perfectly willing to come up and play when IU was down and he felt confident that his team would win.  After this game, the ensuing publicity and the Espy, he was done helping IU.  IU goes to Rupp and Kentucky wins, it doesn't have even remotely the same positive effect.

...and as to @BGleas's idea, while I'd much prefer that home and home be part of it, I'd be OK with that rotation once IU basketball gets back to where it needs to be.  When Cal sees IU as a true peer instead of an underdog that keeps beating his program, I think he'd be more willing to add back the home and home. 

I can't imagine being a coach at one of the nation's most coveted hoops jobs yet being so insecure that you have to annually explain why you won't come to Bloomington. I will give Cal credit....he keeps trying to sway the public but every time he brings this up the overwhelming majority of fans end up saying the same thing. Cal is scared to come to Bloomington.

I don't mind getting creative with alternatives but asking that a college basketball series be scheduled out of the general area isn't something I'm a fan of for this particular series/teams. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't mind getting creative with alternatives but asking that a college basketball series be scheduled out of the general area isn't something I'm a fan of for this particular series/teams. 

I am with ya on that.  Chicago seems like a good place for me.

3 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

In ok thinking creatively BUT I love letting him sit in his fear also. :)

i think you nailed two of the bigger reasons he won’t MileHi. And btw hope things are going well sir. You’ve always been such a blessing to this board.

Thank you for your kind words. 

Living down here I’ve heard Cal answer it on his call in show like at least a dozen times and he is more honest then when he is being quoted in an article. 

#1 he didn’t like how the team was treated and the fans. He realizes that any neutral court allows BBN to come in droves and buy out the tickets making every road game a home game. 

#2 After the IU loss and then I think it was the next year he went to ND and lost as well after the ND game he said he would never do that to a young freshman team ever again. Those early loses hurt the confidence of his young fragile freshman and he said they aren’t ready for the environment early in the season. 

#3 At this point UK plays a pretty big out of conference schedule with regularly playing Duke, MSU, and Kansas on rotation, UL, and recently home and homes with UCLA and UNC. He doesn’t see a reason to schedule IU as that isn’t a step up.

#4 UK is the premier school in college basketball. They should benefit most from any matchup. Revenue, recruiting eyes, fans. They are at the top...they don’t negotiate from a position of equality. It’s their way or the highway. 

Its these reasons he has said many times that it hasn’t happened. UK fans aren’t really clamoring for it either. They want more games they can go see...and a ticket at sold out AH won’t benefit them much. The main thing they want is better home nonconference games. They would like to swap out some Northern Kentucky’s and say Holy Cross for Cincy, Memphis, and West Virginia’s at home. (Those teams won’t come if it’s not returned and Cal just said he won’t do that so at best it’s a home UK/road neautral).

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Living down here I’ve heard Cal answer it on his call in show like at least a dozen times and he is more honest then when he is being quoted in an article. 

#1 he didn’t like how the team was treated and the fans. He realizes that any neutral court allows BBN to come in droves and buy out the tickets making every road game a home game. 

#2 After the IU loss and then I think it was the next year he went to ND and lost as well after the ND game he said he would never do that to a young freshman team ever again. Those early loses hurt the confidence of his young fragile freshman and he said they aren’t ready for the environment early in the season. 

#3 At this point UK plays a pretty big out of conference schedule with regularly playing Duke, MSU, and Kansas on rotation, UL, and recently home and homes with UCLA and UNC. He doesn’t see a reason to schedule IU as that isn’t a step up.

#4 UK is the premier school in college basketball. They should benefit most from any matchup. Revenue, recruiting eyes, fans. They are at the top...they don’t negotiate from a position of equality. It’s their way or the highway. 

Its these reasons he has said many times that it hasn’t happened. UK fans aren’t really clamoring for it either. They want more games they can go see...and a ticket at sold out AH won’t benefit them much. The main thing they want is better home nonconference games. They would like to swap out some Northern Kentucky’s and say Holy Cross for Cincy, Memphis, and West Virginia’s at home. (Those teams won’t come if it’s not returned and Cal just said he won’t do that so at best it’s a home UK/road neautral).

Great post my friend.

Through the grapevine, I have heard that UK season ticket holders are not happy and haven't been for quite awhile.

4 hours ago, rico said:

Great post my friend.

Through the grapevine, I have heard that UK season ticket holders are not happy and haven't been for quite awhile.

They are just not happy with the non-conference home games. Calipari has since scheduled home and home with UNC and UCLA. Ticket prices are ridiculous so to pay to watch Colgate and Patch Adams U isn’t making them happy. It’s true BBN travels and Cal loves the home games on neutral sites where his fans out number the opposing teams but a lot of fans can’t afford to do that so much and want some big games at Rupp. I don’t think Cal will change much. What good does it do him to play good teams at home early in the season and lose. Honestly those Rupp games aren’t even that loud because tickets are so expensive it’s mostly old q-tips in the crowd and few students. The big money is still rolling in so he won’t change much. Plus he likes using those trips as recruiting trips in New York, Chicago, St Louis, Washington DC etc. I don’t think enough people that matter are upset. Cal won’t change.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is that they won't get any big games at home if Cal is not willing to play true road games.

Cal has a life time contract. He isn’t worried about what some kissin cousins think. Now if big doners start getting upset maybe but I don’t see that anytime soon.

13 hours ago, rico said:

Great post my friend.

UK fans are going to kvetch if they don't win every game en route to a national title and have fewer than 6 McDAA's in next year's class . Period.

I'm not exaggerating. That's the mentality of some UK fans. They might not be able to name more than 3 players on the current roster, but those are their expectations. Why? "Cause we's Yew-Kay, that's why"

This is the only area in which I feel something somewhat resembling a shred of pity for Teflon John. I'd like to eviscerate half of their fan base with a brick chisel, and I don't have to make public speeches or take radio calls from these inbred simpletons.

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

Its these reasons he has said many times that it hasn’t happened. UK fans aren’t really clamoring for it either. They want more games they can go see...and a ticket at sold out AH won’t benefit them much. The main thing they want is better home nonconference games. They would like to swap out some Northern Kentucky’s and say Holy Cross for Cincy, Memphis, and West Virginia’s at home. (Those teams won’t come if it’s not returned and Cal just said he won’t do that so at best it’s a home UK/road 

DEAD ON!

17 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

UK fans are going to kvetch if they don't win every game en route to a national title and have fewer than 6 McDAA's in next year's class . Period.

I'm not exaggerating. That's the mentality of some UK fans. They might not be able to name more than 3 players on the current roster, but those are their expectations. Why? "Cause we's Yew-Kay, that's why"

This is the only area in which I feel something somewhat resembling a shred of pity for Teflon John. I'd like to eviscerate half of their fan base with a brick chisel, and I don't have to make public speeches or take radio calls from these inbred simpletons.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:17 AM, dgambill said:

UK is the premier school in college basketball. They should benefit most from any matchup. Revenue, recruiting eyes, fans. They are at the top...they don’t negotiate from a position of equality. It’s their way or the highway. 

This is why I don't ever care if IU plays UK in the season again.  Why should IU agree to something that benefits UK more than IU?  Piss on Cal.  I'd rather see IU knock his team out in March.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

This is why I don't ever care if IU plays UK in the season again.  Why should IU agree to something that benefits UK more than IU?  Piss on Cal.  I'd rather see IU knock his team out in March.

Indeed...and the NCAA is always looking at ratings and matchups when seeding time comes. They love Unc vs UK and IU vs UK...if those teams haven’t already met they like to make it happen in the tournament at some point. Duke/UK however is always a final 4 or championship matchup. 

Hey I know what you are saying but it’s just a fact. It’s like the headliner always gets a bigger cut of the purse etc. Have to accept the facts UK and Duke are the media darlings of college basketball...you go in already knowing you aren’t on an even playing field in negotiations. I just agree you don’t give in to them. College basketball should be played on college campuses...at least until tournament time comes up...I honestly hate the sterile environments of those early season neutral site games...just no energy.

Archived