The Bucket Pre-Game Thread

milehiiu

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think Bell would hold his own. I’m guessing Mullen would get the best of him plenty but Bell is tough to shut down. 

Yeah, I think Bell would still get some decent gains due to his skill and the volume of passes he gets, but I think Mullen could at least break up a few passes and maybe shut down a drive or two.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, milehiiu said:

Leaning towards a no on that one.

I like the games on campus, and liking the proposal in general just isn't enough to outweigh tradition.

I'm just not one to nitpick the rivalry for any perceived current flaws..

The game has been played on campus at season's end for my entire life, but again, I get the bad "look" of sparse attendance for a B1G rivalry game when students are mostly out of town, as well as the potential benefits of holding it early season and/or even in Indy.

If they actually changed something I'm not so against it  to allow any deviation from longtime Bucket Game tradition to ruin my enjoyment or anything deep. Although I am curious where we would get our chance  to find season ending consolation in non-bowl years.Lol

1 hour ago, jblaz13 said:

Leaning towards a no on that one.

I like the games on campus, and liking the proposal in general just isn't enough to outweigh tradition.

I'm just not one to nitpick the rivalry for any perceived current flaws..

The game has been played on campus at season's end for my entire life, but again, I get the bad "look" of sparse attendance for a B1G rivalry game when students are mostly out of town, as well as the potential benefits of holding it early season and/or even in Indy.

If they actually changed something I'm not so against it  to allow any deviation from longtime Bucket Game tradition to ruin my enjoyment or anything deep. Although I am curious where we would get our chance  to find season ending consolation in non-bowl years.Lol

I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier.  Heck, the IHSAA football finals are in LOS.  So moving the bucket game to Indy would be tricky.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know why I didn't realize this earlier.  Heck, the IHSAA football finals are in LOS.  So moving the bucket game to Indy would be tricky.

Yep...which is why when all factors are considered moving this game to earlier in the year when students are on campus makes the most sense of the 3-4 options. At least from where I sit. 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep...which is why when all factors are considered moving this game to earlier in the year when students are on campus makes the most sense of the 3-4 options. At least from where I sit. 

I agree.  

Edit:  I just thought of something.  The Bucket Game could be played in LOS on Thanksgiving Day?  To my knowledge there is only one other FBS game that day.  Ole Miss/Missy St.  

30 minutes ago, rico said:

I agree.  

Edit:  I just thought of something.  The Bucket Game could be played in LOS on Thanksgiving Day?  To my knowledge there is only one other FBS game that day.  Ole Miss/Missy St.  

Thanksgiving is traditionally an NFL day. Afraid the Bucket game would get lost in the, now 3 games.

The Egg Bowl down in Mississippi has always been played in the evening, and until the NFL went to the third game a few years ago, did not conflict with any other games.

I think that this is a function of the 2 bye schedule. Move the game away from Thanksgiving weekend. I have talked to quite a few younger people who are recent graduates from both schools. None of them have interest in going to W. Lafayette this weekend, and almost everyone of them made comment that there are other things they'd rather be doing on their holiday weekend. 

I believe back in the day that the game was played the weekend before Thanksgiving. IMO, this is when this game should be scheduled.

32 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
"It's huge for our program."
IU is either going to finish the regular season on a 3 game losing streak, or accomplish things the program hasn't seen in decades.

Yeah. But it is your President that is proposing the change.  You need to let him know your thoughts. 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

From Purdue’s side, I hope we don’t move it to Indy. Would hate to lose out on another home game. 

Question... I’ve been hearing A lot of talk about how if it rains PU offense is in big trouble. Is that not a concern going forward? I mean you are in the BIG there is a really good chance you are going to play 1-2 games a year in bad conditions. Hard to ever compete for the west if you can’t play in bad weather. 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

Thanksgiving is traditionally an NFL day. Afraid the Bucket game would get lost in the, now 3 games.

The Egg Bowl down in Mississippi has always been played in the evening, and until the NFL went to the third game a few years ago, did not conflict with any other games.

I think that this is a function of the 2 bye schedule. Move the game away from Thanksgiving weekend. I have talked to quite a few younger people who are recent graduates from both schools. None of them have interest in going to W. Lafayette this weekend, and almost everyone of them made comment that there are other things they'd rather be doing on their holiday weekend. 

I believe back in the day that the game was played the weekend before Thanksgiving. IMO, this is when this game should be scheduled.

I agree the Saturday before Thanksgiving week would be best.

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Question... I’ve been hearing A lot of talk about how if it rains PU offense is in big trouble. Is that not a concern going forward? I mean you are in the BIG there is a really good chance you are going to play 1-2 games a year in bad conditions. Hard to ever compete for the west if you can’t play in bad weather. 

I mean I think a lot of that this year revolves around the fact that this is the worst offensive line Brohm has had at Purdue. Even before the injuries, this was always going to be a pass heavy offense. Obviously it’s easier to run the ball in rainy conditions than throwing it. Going forward, I think it’ll get better since Brohm is still replenishing the offensive line depth that was left in shambles when he was hired. I think Brohm will always favor the pass but would like to have more of a balanced attack (like we saw last heR when we had a better line and two senior RB’s in Knox and Jones.) Just didn’t have the right personnel this year to be a good running team. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean I think a lot of that this year revolves around the fact that this is the worst offensive line Brohm has had at Purdue. Even before the injuries, this was always going to be a pass heavy offense. Obviously it’s easier to run the ball in rainy conditions than throwing it. Going forward, I think it’ll get better since Brohm is still replenishing the offensive line depth that was left in shambles when he was hired. I think Brohm will always favor the pass but would like to have more of a balanced attack (like we saw last heR when we had a better line and two senior RB’s in Knox and Jones.) Just didn’t have the right personnel this year to be a good running team. 

Losing your best overall offensive weapon didn't help matters. Those quick outs/pops/screens to Moore had the same effect on a defense as a decent running game. And those quick drops help keep QBs intact if your line is questionable.

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Losing your best overall offensive weapon didn't help matters. Those quick outs/pops/screens to Moore had the same effect on a defense as a decent running game. And those quick drops help keep QBs intact if your line is questionable.

Exactly. Cannot overstate how much losing Rondale has impacted our team. Crazy to think he has missed enough time to be able to take a redshirt. 

Archived