Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
Billingsley99

Good Advice

Share some advice that has been shared with you and helped you. 

By nature I am very laid back and easy to get along with for most part. Several years ago i was given some advice that I try to live by. When I react without taking this advice into consideration I usually dont like the results. 

When faced with any situation and how  I react I ask 3 quick questions 

1. Does this impact my family?

2. Does it impact my wallet/business?

3. Does this impact my walk with God?

If The answer to all are no I usually try not to get involved. 

• Like 1

I have two favorite sayings that I refer to often (just ask my kids)

Ten most powerful words- only 20 letters -  IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME

Some things in life you can control, others you can influence and some you have no control over. Focus on the first two, and don't stress over the latter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reacher said:

Some things in life you can control, others you can influence and some you have no control over. Focus on the first two, and don't stress over the latter.

That things you have no control over stresses me out the most.  I want to jump through the TV set and choke people!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, rico said:

That things you have no control over stresses me out the most.  I want to jump through the TV set and choke people!

That's how at least 3 of my remote controls died premature deaths. 

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2019 at 7:33 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Share some advice that has been shared with you and helped you. 

By nature I am very laid back and easy to get along with for most part. Several years ago i was given some advice that I try to live by. When I react without taking this advice into consideration I usually dont like the results. 

When faced with any situation and how  I react I ask 3 quick questions 

1. Does this impact my family?

2. Does it impact my wallet/business?

3. Does this impact my walk with God?

If The answer to all are no I usually try not to get involved. 

Only advice that has ever produced good fruit in my life is Matthew 6:33.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  

when are started applying this to my life I went from depressed, addicted, and in despair to sober, met my beautiful wife, debt free within a few years.  

• Like 3

Mine is hard to follow, but mine is that I am the only one who can control my happiness.  It doesn't matter what happens around me, but as long as I won't let it get me down, I can stay happy.

There was a kid at the school I teach at who was really low functioning, but he was happy 100% of the time.  The place he lives is a run down apartment, sometimes he would wrap up extra food during lunch so he could take it home for dinner, and his IQ probably wasn't about 70, but he always had a smile on his face.  He really helped me.  I thought, if he can always be happy, what the hell do I have to be sad about?

Of course, there are days that are worse than others, but I went through some depression a few years back, and this idea really helped me get through a really tough last year.

• Like 4