Lunch

milehiiu

Do you do lunch or skip it ?

If you do lunch, what do you eat most often ?

If you don't do lunch.  Why  ?

I have always heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  However, here is an article that refutes that :

Why Lunch Really is the Most Important Meal of the Day 

No wrong answers here.  Just would like to get input . 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Everyday. Do a meal prep for every week so its whatever I'm in the mood for. For example, last week was korean short ribs in the crockpot. This week is balsamic chicken and sausage with cooked cabbage and onions.  

Yummy !

Interesting that you plan out your lunches.  I would have thought most would put something together in the morning.... or go to a restaurant or fast food place for lunch.

In my case. Since I am retired.  I normally open the fridge, and look for left overs for lunch. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yummy !

Interesting that you plan out your lunches.  I would have thought most would put something together in the morning.... or go to a restaurant or fast food place for lunch.

In my case. Since I am retired.  I normally open the fridge, and look for left overs for lunch. 

Wife and I try to follow the paleo style diet so food takes some prepping.  In addition to the proteins we usually roast sweet potatoes and a vegetable.  Spend about 1.5 hrs a week making 5 days of lunches. 

On days off we just throw something together. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Wife and I try to follow the paleo style diet so food takes some prepping.  In addition to the proteins we usually roast sweet potatoes and a vegetable.  Spend about 1.5 hrs a week making 5 days of lunches. 

On days off we just throw something together. 

Interesting that you mention sweet potatoes.  Wife goes with them, while I bake a good old Idaho spud. Bought the only time I do a sweet potato is for Thanksgiving.

Spending 1.5 hours a week preparing lunches is impressive. Says a lot about you, and your concern about nutrition.  At my age. I just eat whatever I like. LOL

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rarely eat breakfast but my lunch is always my healthiest meal of the day. Large salads or high protein/no carb combinations every day. I kind of feel like if my lunches are always healthy that mean I can eat a little poorly come dinner time I choose. Not that I do.

I've always heard the opposite. Splurge on breakfast, and it'll give your active metabolism time to burn off more of it.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I've always heard the opposite. Splurge on breakfast, and it'll give your active metabolism time to burn off more of it.

And that is what prompted me to start this thread. For years, hearing that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So, I was surprised reading the article I linked in my first post, that Lunch is the most important meal of the day.

Those 4th grade nutrition posters must have had a heavy effect on me, because if I don't eat all 3 meals, I feel out of sorts.

Breakfast is always an eggwich breakfast sandwich or bowl of Cheerios and coffee. Try to stay around 400 calories.

Lunch is various combinations of soup (2 favs Chik-fil-a chicken tortilla or El Pollo Loco's chicken Verde pozole), salads, and healthy sandwiches (tuna salad or chicken breast). Try to stay under 500 calories.

Dinner I try to stay under 700 calories. My wife has me eating more fish than Chuck Noland, so that's not hard. 

Never seem to be overly hungry either...

5 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is what Ive heard. Ideally want to eat within 8 hours and fast for 16. Big breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner. 

Havent been able to adopt that personally however. I always eat lunch. Once or twice a week I'll run out for fast food just to get away from work and work in an errand or two. 

During the work week I mix and match 3 servings of fruit among

• Banana
  • Granny Smith Apple
  • Mandarin Orange
  • Blackberries
  • Pineapple
  • Strawberries

Then, I mix in one serving of something not quite as healthy.  Sometimes it's a ham an cheese sandwich.  Sometimes it's peanut butter crackers.  Sometimes, it's 3-4 cookies.  Lately it's been a snack sized bag of Cheez-Its.

Working a desk job, if I didn't primarily do the fruit, I would pack on the weight.  

On the weekends, when I'm more active, I'll lean towards something like a burger and fries.

Archived