Watching Basketball on HULU versus Youtube TV

True that Hulu Live TV charges extra for no ads.  For me, I watch live tv, with the ads one gets when watching cable.  I don't dvr. So fast forwarding ads on DVR, are not an issue with me.

I think both services are good. So it boils down to a personal choice.

Even with the unlimited option package, I am not paying $55/mo.  Could they have different price points for different areas of the country ?  This relatively recent link seems to indicate not :

How Much is Hulu and Hulu Live? A Complete Price Breakdown for 2019 - Business Insider

And this link from last Spring indicates a similar price for You Tube TV :YouTube TV price increases to $50 a month

TN___Hoosier asked what service is better.  Many have said they love You Tube TV.   I love Hulu Live TV. Their service people are great.  But I don't think one can go wrong with either service.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any of you have wives addicted to the Hallmark channel?  That's where I'm getting stumped thus far.  If it were just me, either of these services would work, but Hallmark must be distributed via other means as it doesn't appear either service offers that as an option.

EDIT:  Looks like I can add Philo for $20 or Frndly for $5.99 and get what she wants.  I am very very close to joining the masses and cutting the cord...

(Also, probably not a great time to invest in cable companies and satellite providers...just a word to the wise...)

I have hulu but will probably switch to YouTube.  Hulu just upped their rate.  The cord cutting thing isn't really much of a money saver( if at all anymore) with the cost of streaming now.   Getting just the internet alone will usually cost more than when you bundle with their TV service.  I had AT&T internet with Uverse TV.  I was paying about a $100 a month.  Then they upped it to $150 after a year.  So I called and asked about the price of just the same internet without TV.  It was $80 alone.  But the funny thing was the guy said if I bundled just local basic TV with it then the price was $55. So I did that(no contract either) and then started hulu when football started.  I'll probably drop whatever streaming I have as soon as basketball season is over.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

12 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I have hulu but will probably switch to YouTube.  Hulu just upped their rate.  The cord cutting thing isn't really much of a money saver( if at all anymore) with the cost of streaming now.   Getting just the internet alone will usually cost more than when you bundle with their TV service.  I had AT&T internet with Uverse TV.  I was paying about a $100 a month.  Then they upped it to $150 after a year.  So I called and asked about the price of just the same internet without TV.  It was $80 alone.  But the funny thing was the guy said if I bundled just local basic TV with it then the price was $55. So I did that(no contract either) and then started hulu when football started.  I'll probably drop whatever streaming I have as soon as basketball season is over.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Thank you.  I have been keeping relatively quiet about this as I cut the cord awhile back.  Just went to streaming.  It aint any cheaper(on my end) if not more expensive.  The only "benefit" is not having a contract.  Much to do about nothing as far as I am concerned.  I will end up back with Dish eventually.

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Can I get everyone's opinionnof sling vs youtube and hulu?

I'm about to finish my free month.  Have been satisfied, though no btn.  No but I can get btn oddly with my dad's direct password even though it's not on his channel lineup.  

Word on the street is Sling will carry BTN beginning with the 2020 football season.

6 hours ago, rico said:

Thank you.  I have been keeping relatively quiet about this as I cut the cord awhile back.  Just went to streaming.  It aint any cheaper(on my end) if not more expensive.  The only "benefit" is not having a contract.  Much to do about nothing as far as I am concerned.  I will end up back with Dish eventually.

Yea cord cutting really isn't for people that like sports.   But yea if you are paying for a streaming service and paying for high speed internet then you aren't saving much if anything.  Best thing is no contract.   It would be nice if there was a sports only streaming service.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

9 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Yea cord cutting really isn't for people that like sports.   But yea if you are paying for a streaming service and paying for high speed internet then you aren't saving much if anything.  Best thing is no contract.   It would be nice if there was a sports only streaming service.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

In my case it costs more.  Sad, but true.  

10 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Really?  Youtube gives you almost all the sports channels.  Even NBA tv, MLB tv, ESPN U and Goal line, BTN, ACC, etc.

10 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Go Hoosiers!!!

Not true. I get more sports than I did with dish. 

Essentially, saving money comes down to internet. In my area, internet options are crappy internet for $40 or really good internet for $70. I still save a good amount than if I would've chose Dish and crappy internet

25 minutes ago, ephul said:

Essentially, saving money comes down to internet. In my area, internet options are crappy internet for $40 or really good internet for $70. I still save a good amount than if I would've chose Dish and crappy internet

Meh, each to their own.  And at the moment I do stream and it costs me $110 per month.  $50 of that is for the internet.  $50 for Hulu Live.  And $10 for Disney +.  Give or take on each pkg.  But I could run my laptops off my smart phone(hot spot) which is included in my phone service and do away with my internet service.  Then do away with the streaming services and get Dish or Directv for $40-$60 per month.  Streaming is more expensive for me.  The downfall with the sat services is that it seems there seems to be constant haggling between them and the BTN.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Meh, each to their own.  And at the moment I do stream and it costs me $110 per month.  $50 of that is for the internet.  $50 for Hulu Live.  And $10 for Disney +.  Give or take on each pkg.  But I could run my laptops off my smart phone(hot spot) which is included in my phone service and do away with my internet service.  Then do away with the streaming services and get Dish or Directv for $40-$60 per month.  Streaming is more expensive for me.  The downfall with the sat services is that it seems there seems to be constant haggling between them and the BTN.

Granted, I have Dish's 250 pack and some extra equipment, but between home and office, I expect to save a bundle.  I'll have internet access at both places regardless, so I don't consider that part of the cost.  I'll eliminate $250/month between Dish and my cable provider and figure on adding $70/ month between YouTube and Philo to get the necessary channels to keep everyone happy. I'll have some initial equipment costs, but I expect saving $180/month will take care of that pretty quickly.

Definitely different from your situation but for me, it looks like a big cost saver.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Granted, I have Dish's 250 pack and some extra equipment, but between home and office, I expect to save a bundle.  I'll have internet access at both places regardless, so I don't consider that part of the cost.  I'll eliminate $250/month between Dish and my cable provider and figure on adding $70/ month between YouTube and Philo to get the necessary channels to keep everyone happy. I'll have some initial equipment costs, but I expect saving $180/month will take care of that pretty quickly.

Definitely different from your situation but for me, it looks like a big cost saver.

As I said, each to their own.  And every situation can be drastically different.  

48 minutes ago, ephul said:

That's not what I meant.  Yes streaming gives you more options but it's not at much(if any savings).  The cutting the cord thing only saves you money if you use an antenna for local channels or add a cheap option like Netflix.  And with both cases you miss out on sports. 

If you are adding hulu or YouTube it's almost a wash in money savings.

Go Hoosiers!!!

28 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

That's not what I meant.  Yes streaming gives you more options but it's not at much(if any savings).  The cutting the cord thing only saves you money if you use an antenna for local channels or add a cheap option like Netflix.  And with both cases you miss out on sports. 

If you are adding hulu or YouTube it's almost a wash in money savings.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I have all local channels through YouTube TV. I am saving about $40 a month easy with streaming

34 minutes ago, ephul said:

Someone else will have to confirm this, but I've been told, at least with YouTube TV, that you can cancel the service for 1 to 2 weeks and just pay for the times you have it activated. Good benefit for those that travel and such

All the streaming services I know of, have no contract. You can cancel at any time. Many have free trial periods.

Archived