• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Soph 51%

Jr 38.5%

42% AAU

Looking into this year... 

I would think 38% would be a good representation of what to expect from what ive heard about him.  He is a senior going to IU, teams are going to key on him and make it difficult to get a shot off regardless of where he is on the floor.

Do I think he shoots that as a freshman, no.  Big upgrade in difficulty all around.  But, i think he could leave IU around 38-40% from 3.

2002 Team - 40%

Fife - 47.1%

JJ - 38%

Coverdale -37%

Moye - 40%

Hornsby -44.7%

Point is, good teams normally shoot well. Since Archie has been here, they haven't. This needs to change to turn the corner. Guards are almost always the leaders of the team and they haven't been leading. All of them (and next year's recruits) have to step up and fill these needs. 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

2002 Team - 40%

Fife - 47.1%

JJ - 38%

Coverdale -37%

Moye - 40%

Hornsby -44.7%

Point is, good teams normally shoot well. Since Archie has been here, they haven't. This needs to change to turn the corner. Guards are almost always the leaders of the team and they haven't been leading. All of them (and next year's recruits) have to step up and fill these needs. 

Do you have all these guys HS %'s?  How about the guys on the team right now as far as %'s?  Things change when you go to next level.  Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't categorize Leal as a shooter at all. Why would someone shoot higher in HS than college? 

The guys that I know well have had a little struggle as freshman just because their body wears down some. The work load and schedule much more demanding.  A senior in high school many times is much stronger than some of the opponents but in college not always the case. I have no numbers to support it just from the players I know and have coached they seemed to drop from high school to college. Also many have said they dont work on it like they did in high school.  They had other deficiencies to improve on and FT shooting took a back seat. 

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The guys that I know well have had a little struggle as freshman just because their body wears down some. The work load and schedule much more demanding.  A senior in high school many times is much stronger than some of the opponents but in college not always the case. I have no numbers to support it just from the players I know and have coached they seemed to drop from high school to college. Also many have said they dont work on it like they did in high school.  They had other deficiencies to improve on and FT shooting took a back seat. 

Makes sense to me. I'd add that strength training ramps up in college and may effect the shooting mechanics until practice helps relearn them

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

With his athleticism and showing early ability to shoot, this kid has a huge upside.  

Cosigned Captain Obvious 

I do think he is going to be a special one. The ease he is able to get up...I mean he doesn't even have to gather himself...like a human pogo stick. Yet on his 3pt shot he barely jumps...just has a smooth stroke. I like him a lot....maybe steal of the recruiting trail.

7 minutes ago, Vincent14 said:

If I had to guess I'd say Geronimo will have the biggest impact as a freshman of the 3.

Agreed...especially because he has even said if the coach just wants me to come in and play defense that is what I will do. Not that Leal and Galloway won't but early on his athleticism should allow him to see the floor and hold his own defensively until the offense comes around...but if Leal or Galloway come in shooting lights out...nobody will keep them from playing.

I think JG can come in and be the perfect backup for JS, hopefully with the ability to stretch the floor.  I also think TG will get good minutes as we are low on guards.  He's also a gamer and a winner who will come in and play hard.  Although AL is the highest rated recruit I feel playing time will be hardest to come by for him.  Nothing wrong with that, it's not really a good thing if freshman come in and get immediate playing time, especially with the "get old stay old" structure.  AL's playing time his freshman year will be solely dependent on his shooting.

Archived