2020 MLB Discussion

5fouls

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Going to be a tight one all year long. Strange scheduling quirk might actually help the Cubs this year. 9 of final 12 are vs Pirates and Rockies with 7 of those at home before final 3 at Wrigley vs Cardinals. Could be a situation because the division will be so tight which team gets hot in September. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Going to be a tight one all year long. Strange scheduling quirk might actually help the Cubs this year. 9 of final 12 are vs Pirates and Rockies with 7 of those at home before final 3 at Wrigley vs Cardinals. Could be a situation because the division will be so tight which team gets hot in September. 

We shall see how it all plays out.  

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

As expected but with much delay...Kris Bryant loses his grievance. If anything was or is going to happen with Cubs we should know in the next week I would think.

My wife is following the Kris Bryant situation closely.  Has nothing to do with his baseball skills though.  

Buddy just called me from Chicago....guess Bryant's team released some sort of statement or whatever after this mornings announcement. In a nutshell he feels like the Cubs lied to him and feels underappreciated. 

Few things now. First...Bryant really is trying to stick it to the Cubs in "Public Perception" part of this and potentially hurts trade deals knowing full well that he will never sign with Cubs after 2021 season. Secondly....Bryant might not realize this but he could be hurting his long term value because the Cubs might just decide to keep him for the next 2 years and work him to death which leads me to this. If the Cubs do choose the 2nd route and Bryant isn't going all out....his big contract that he wants could be diminished if teams feel he isn't playing like a pro, giving it his all,etc....

Messy situation for sure. By the way....all of this is because of the very rule the players association put in place. This isn't a Cubs problem. This is a players or players union problem.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Buddy just called me from Chicago....guess Bryant's team released some sort of statement or whatever after this mornings announcement. In a nutshell he feels like the Cubs lied to him and feels underappreciated. 

Few things now. First...Bryant really is trying to stick it to the Cubs in "Public Perception" part of this and potentially hurts trade deals knowing full well that he will never sign with Cubs after 2021 season. Secondly....Bryant might not realize this but he could be hurting his long term value because the Cubs might just decide to keep him for the next 2 years and work him to death which leads me to this. If the Cubs do choose the 2nd route and Bryant isn't going all out....his big contract that he wants could be diminished if teams feel he isn't playing like a pro, giving it his all,etc....

Messy situation for sure. By the way....all of this is because of the very rule the players association put in place. This isn't a Cubs problem. This is a players or players union problem.

Trade him to the Reds for...Castellanos

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ah, I think most of that is Boras baloney coming out. 

I'm kinda ambivalent on this...if he stays, fine, he's a good ball player. I might put him in a corner outfield spot, probably left field, but still a good player...and I know that takes Schwarber out if the lineup, but...

If he goes, I hope we get some good young arms for him...

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

My gut feeling is we will see the Cubs make some big waves in the next week or so.

Have to do something. Bringing back the same guys and expecting it to change isn't something I want....but I guess if that's what has to happen until the payroll/tax/bad contracts expire not much we can do. 

21 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder if the Cubs could ship Kris to L.A.?  Get Seager and some talent?

I think there will be plenty of smoke and hot air over the next 48 hours...during this time Theo will decide if he thinks the relationship with Bryant and his play will be more valuable over the next 24 months vs what he could get in return that could last the next 60-72 months because no way Bryant is signing a deal with Cubs after 2021.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think there will be plenty of smoke and hot air over the next 48 hours...during this time Theo will decide if he thinks the relationship with Bryant and his play will be more valuable over the next 24 months vs what he could get in return that could last the next 60-72 months because no way Bryant is signing a deal with Cubs after 2021.

I think the first call the Cubs would make would be to Colorado to see about Arrenado.

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Ricketts would pass out if he read that statement...

Besides Ricketts family playing Monopoly around 1060 W Addison....they are seeing 7% growth on their team investment. This year (before TV/Streaming $ kicks in) they are making roughly $217,000,000 before they wake up. I'm not saying they will turn into McCaskey's....but if they don't turn the tide on spending soon the avalanche of hate will be coming their way very soon. 

Archived