Devonte Green

Winners win. Champions earn it. The noise labeled both good and bad are part of it.

Recent examples would be Vic, Cody, Yogi, Gordon etc. These are young adults with the best tools and opportunity before them. Pick your path. If your weak, lazy, stubborn, defiant or entitled, you will fail.

This is my camp. Your either in and giving 110% or your out. At the end of the day, it’s your choice.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Winners win. Champions earn it. The noise labeled both good and bad are part of it.

Recent examples would be Vic, Cody, Yogi, Gordon etc. These are young adults with the best tools and opportunity before them. Pick your path. If your weak, lazy, stubborn, defiant or entitled, you will fail.

This is my camp. Your either in and giving 110% or your out. At the end of the day, it’s your choice.

Agree but it’s up to the Head Coach to see such dismal effort & bench such said player just like the Nebraska game!  It’s NO coincidence to me that such said player can’t get up vs lower opponents but is a giant slayer vs ranked opponents?  If my memory serves me correct, IU has a gauntlet of a schedule coming up so beware of who you want to dismiss as the player you want to hate can easily be the player we all want coming up!  That’s what I do, I drink & I know things!

16 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Isn't it a tad hypocritical of Mr Sterling to chastise fans for critiquing Devote harshly when he does it in one of his own columns here?

I don't see any criticism of Devonte on this site that is any worse than what that column says...

I don't know Mr Sterling at all, but the media trend any more is to silence the common folk while they tell you what's good or bad.

I'll be damned...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Isn't it a tad hypocritical of Mr Sterling to chastise fans for critiquing Devote harshly when he does it in one of his own columns here?

I don't see any criticism of Devonte on this site that is any worse than what that column says...

I don't know Mr Sterling at all, but the media trend any more is to silence the common folk while they tell you what's good or bad.

I'll be damned...

LOL...and how soon we forget.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'll be damned...

Kent has a history of talking out of both sides. Sad part is he's better than most here locally. Maybe it should be for another thread but our local radio scene has taken some hits recently and only 1 show locally. Indy radio decision makers have made local guys obsolete and decided the syndication route is best. Kind of stinks. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll be damned...

I honestly had the same thought.  I agree with the message but struggle a little more with the messenger.

I chose to give more weight to the importance of the message in this case.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I honestly had the same thought.  I agree with the message but struggle a little more with the messenger.

I agree with you here. I also agree that people need to back off Devonte. He's got obvious flaws in his game, but to berate the kid game after game or wishing him off the team or to the bench forever, is a little over the top. I understand the passion, but some perspective is needed. FWIW, I am not a Sterling fan. 

What I see with Devonte is that he has, so far, squandered an excellent opportunity. Whether it's attitude or personality, I don't know. But he's had 2.5 years playing for CAM, who played point guard and knows how to coach the position.

CAM's best player at Dayton was Scoochie Smith, their point guard who made those teams go. He was a 6'2 180 pound guard out of the Bronx. He was ranked just outside of the top 100 out of high school. He improved every year and became their leader. His senior year, he averaged 14 pts, 3 reb and 4.5 ast. Consistently over 2/1 Ast/TO. His shooting % increased each year and ended at 47%, with 39% from 3. He's playing pro overseas.

Where would this team and Green be if he had committed to be IU's Scoochie Smith? Instead he's shooting 40% and is barely over 1:1 asst/TO. So, instead of leading the team as a senior, he's losing playing time.

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What I see with Devonte is that he has, so far, squandered an excellent opportunity. Whether it's attitude or personality, I don't know. But he's had 2.5 years playing for CAM, who played point guard and knows how to coach the position.

CAM's best player at Dayton was Scoochie Smith, their point guard who made those teams go. He was a 6'2 180 pound guard out of the Bronx. He was ranked just outside of the top 100 out of high school. He improved every year and became their leader. His senior year, he averaged 14 pts, 3 reb and 4.5 ast. Consistently over 2/1 Ast/TO. His shooting % increased each year and ended at 47%, with 39% from 3. He's playing pro overseas.

Where would this team and Green be if he had committed to be IU's Scoochie Smith? Instead he's shooting 40% and is barely over 1:1 asst/TO. So, instead of leading the team as a senior, he's losing playing time. 

I am still in the belief that DG will play as well as he did at the end of last year. I also think maybe the 30 point game may have hurt him in the MIND game thinking it comes so easy for me if CAM lets me play this way. He IS a key player for us if he plays within himself. Just hope he returns to the end of last year soon. If so he a healthy Rob and an emerging Jerome with the freshman of the year in TDJ and the rest of our team will be a tough out in every game the rest of the year. This from a IU sunshine pumper that thinks it will happen starting Thur.

Devante is the type of player best served on a team full of stars like Duke or North Carolina where he doesn’t have to lead and don’t have the negative pressure of a blue blood missing the field of 64 in each of his young coach’s career!  This is not Devante Green & he didn’t necessarily sign up for this mess but guess what?  He stuck it out anyways and continues to get criticized by Hoosier Nation for doing it!  This is not us & we can’t take out our frustrations of being a loser on him solely!  Please be better than this & show our SR player some love for choosing IU regardless of your thoughts!  If I know Devante, some LOVE from Hoosier Nation just may be the missing ingredient this team needs!  

24 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Devante is the type of player best served on a team full of stars like Duke or North Carolina where he doesn’t have to lead and don’t have the negative pressure of a blue blood missing the field of 64 in each of his young coach’s career!  This is not Devante Green & he didn’t necessarily sign up for this mess but guess what?  He stuck it out anyways and continues to get criticized by Hoosier Nation for doing it!  This is not us & we can’t take out our frustrations of being a loser on him solely!  Please be better than this & show our SR player some love for choosing IU regardless of your thoughts!  If I know Devante, some LOVE from Hoosier Nation just may be the missing ingredient this team needs!  

I know what you are saying, But realistically if Devonte  was on a team full of superstars, he would never play. I’m sure he is a good kid and means well, but turnovers are crucial in college basketball. He is a senior now and Hoosier  fans expect more.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I know what you are saying, But realistically if Devonte  was on a team full of superstars, he would never play. I’m sure he is a good kid and means well, but turnovers are crucial in college basketball. He is a senior now and Hoosier  fans expect more.

Agree, and I’m sure that’s why he chose IU over bigger fish!  His aggressive passes in the lane are better suited for the NBA and hardly ever work in college but when you have an NBA mindset that’s what we get!  He’s has aspirations of being great and outplays his skill set most of the time but when he’s on, HE’S ON!  It’s no secret he plays down to the competition which is quite normal and thank goodness we have a tough schedule ahead.  Give this 4yr SR a break 

56 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

On another note, anybody else see that when Devante catches & shoots right away it’s almost a guarantee but when he has the ball & tries to create own shot it’s a miss?  Anybody?

I've been saying the same thing to my Fiancee all year! I think I remember some guys saying that late last year as well. He is SO much better on the catch & shoot. Now, that step back....🙄

I do hope the kid can finish the year strong. As much as he frustrates me at times, he's a Hoosier and deserves my support, not condemnation.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:56 AM, IUfaninIllinois said:

So we all know about the wide world of Devonte Green. He is essentially his own reality tv show on the court. Sometimes he’s fun to watch and sometimes he’s a train wreck that we yell at the tv but can’t stop watching. My question for y’all is why do you think he is so inconsistent like this when he is a senior. He clearly has the tangibles to be a good player and he has a coaching staff who watches film with him on top of having an NBA player brother. Him being a headcase to me isn’t an acceptable reason because of al of the reasons listed above. How can a 4 year player still be so inconsistent/ a headcase if that’s what your answer would be.

3 pages i'm not going to read. Devonte plays the way he does because he isn;t as good as he is in his own mind.  Plus he has played for 2 coaches for whatever reason, have let him get away with it for the most part. 2 more months of Devonte, i hope we get some of the good Devonte but i'm not counting on it. The first senior day speeches i wont be watching.

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The column you cited loses a little...well ALL of it's message after reading the subsequent one I cited...just another media guy trying to pontificate if you ask me...

And which one is a player more likely to read anyway? An obscure post on a fan forum, or a story on a pundit's website? A pundit that has his own radio show, has interviewed Devonte before, and focuses on Indiana basketball?

And I'll agree that there's a line that shouldn't be crossed when assessing Devonte's game and value to the team, but I've went back through a lot of game posts and haven't seen many, if any, that actually crossed that line. I think the mods here do a great job of policing that...

I don't go on Twitter or other social media platforms, so I won't comment on those...

Is it ok for me to express (respectful) frustration in a basketball forum when I see a player dribble the ball off his leg for the upteenth time? I think so...I hate to think we live in a world so coddled that facts, no matter how delicately presented, always take a backseat to feelings. Come on, these kids are a little stronger than that...

I'll close by saying that in the past week, I've read people carping about critiquing players, and opinions on lineups and such...what ARE we supposed to talk about then? This is a basketball forum...it's the internet version of a bar where people come to talk about a common interest. Sure, it's put in public, but as long as no one goes of the rails and abides by the forum guidelines, what's the issue?

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

3 pages i'm not going to read. Devonte plays the way he does because he isn;t as good as he is in his own mind.  Plus he has played for 2 coaches for whatever reason, have let him get away with it for the most part. 2 more months of Devonte, i hope we get some of the good Devonte but i'm not counting on it. The first senior day speeches i wont be watching.

100% and I would say more but it just isn't worth it. This team doesn't need problem "children!" Unfortunately they have a few of them.

This is a completely different team with lots more talent than the last couple years. That's a good thing.

I had always dreaded Green, as did my TV, but not so much now. He is good coming of the bench, but not good at running the show. I have to give the guy props. When he's good he is very good. I just prefer steady.

Green may go down, for me, as the most frustrating IU player ever. I cannot stand the way he plays basketball. In everything he does I feel like he’s auditioning for an And1 mixtape. The way he dribbles, passes and takes selfish shots. We were rolling last night, playing team ball and he comes in and immediately takes a bad shot, complains about a no call and doesn’t get back on D and they hit a 3.

He was also “guarding” Winston on two of his 3’s.

He just does not get it. That’s a shame. If he did, if he played with fundamentals...making a good pass instead of a flashy pass...working to get open for a catch and shoot instead of dribbling until the shot clock forces an ill advised 3, he could be dominant. WE could be dominant. I agree with some others on here, the FSU game, while a great win, was probably horrible for his season. It’s like the kid in little league that hits a home run and swings for the fences the rest of the season.

Between Green and Justin Smith, this team can be extremely frustrating to watch. So much talent, so many bad choices. So much talent, so inconsistent. Here’s hoping they get it figured out but I won’t hold my breath when it comes to Green. 🤷🏻‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Hoosier76 said:

Between Green and Justin Smith, this team can be extremely frustrating to watch.

Smith may be inconsistent, but he's at least brought it to tolerable levels of inconsistency.  He's also averaging nearly 12 points, 5 boards, a steal and an assist.  Not exactly all american numbers, but that ain't terrible. 

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Smith may be inconsistent, but he's at least brought it to tolerable levels of inconsistency.  He's also averaging nearly 12 points, 5 boards, a steal and an assist.  Not exactly all american numbers, but that ain't terrible. 

And he plays some really solid defense...

Smith isn’t anywhere near as bad but last night, in a critical moment in the game...he took a terrible, selfish, long range jumper with a defender in his face and plenty of time on the shot clock. It didn’t end up costing us but it was bad. Against Rutgers, at a critical moment in the first half when they started taking over the game for good, he got the ball at the three point line with no one near him and took two steps in and threw up a one handed floater on the run and air balled it. He just needs to stop with those mental lapses that can impact close games against good competition. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier76 said:

Smith isn’t anywhere near as bad but last night, in a critical moment in the game...he took a terrible, selfish, long range jumper with a defender in his face and plenty of time on the shot clock. It didn’t end up costing us but it was bad. Against Rutgers, at a critical moment in the first half when they started taking over the game for good, he got the ball at the three point line with no one near him and took two steps in and threw up a one handed floater on the run and air balled it. He just needs to stop with those mental lapses that can impact close games against good competition. 

If he can hold it to one bad shot per game, I can live with that.  He was doing that multiple times per game last year.

Archived