Tomorrow is the day...

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yes he does.  Tammy's(my GF) sister is flying him into Fort Wayne in the morn from Atlanta.

He looks like a Boxer we had back in the 90s. One of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. Good with the kids, and he had 5 separate toys you could ask him to go get and he'd always get the one you asked for. Never made a mistake. 

I use to hide his rubber cheeseburger behind my back and then tell him to go find it...

He'd just sit there and look at me like, "ok, a-hole. You're real funny."

11 hours ago, rico said:

The 1st thing he gets when we get him home is..........an IU collar strapped on.  It is here waiting.  A new Hoosier fan from Georgia!!!!!!!

Don't know why we waited so long but things work out for a reason...we rescued a Pit/Terrier mix few years ago. Pure joy and awesomeness with him every single day.  Congrats!!

Back story to our new pup.  He(along with his brother) were found by a motorist in Atlanta along the highway in a cardboard box.  The Good Samaritan took the dogs to a shelter.  A shelter in which my GF's sister frequents to find homes for abandoned animals.  "Nub" has had an interesting day to say the least.  He is here now and making himself home.  IU collar attached...

28 minutes ago, rico said:

Back story to our new pup.  He(along with his brother) were found by a motorist in Atlanta along the highway in a cardboard box.  The Good Samaritan took the dogs to a shelter.  A shelter in which my GF's sister frequents to find homes for abandoned animals.  "Nub" has had an interesting day to say the least.  He is here now and making himself home.  IU collar attached...

Guaranteed. Given his history.  He will love you forever.  Both of my dogs are rescue dogs. The love they give is undeniable. 

Happy for you.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Two things.  Get Nub set up with a vet. Have him checked out. Even if your sister already has.

And two.  Check out Chewy.com. 

Edit to add one more thing :

Get him chipped.

One other thing I'll add. As anyone with animals can attest....they can be very expensive sometimes. I used to take our dog to a vet in Broad Ripple. Checkups, toenails or whatever were typically 3-4x more expensive. Not sure exactly where you live but I found a clinic called FACE Low Cost Animal Clinic in Indy. Phenomenal service and all the same services for much, much less $.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One other thing I'll add. As anyone with animals can attest....they can be very expensive sometimes. I used to take our dog to a vet in Broad Ripple. Checkups, toenails or whatever were typically 3-4x more expensive. Not sure exactly where you live but I found a clinic called FACE Low Cost Animal Clinic in Indy. Phenomenal service and all the same services for much, much less $.

Also, check for a local private pet store. For toenails. Around me, we have a couple that do toenails, without giving drugs, and are half the cost. 

4 hours ago, rico said:

Good on you and your gf...rescue dogs (we have 2 of them) always seem to understand what you've done for them, and pay it back at every opportunity...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Good on you and your gf...rescue dogs (we have 2 of them) always seem to understand what you've done for them, and pay it back at every opportunity...

I agree. We have had pure bred dogs. Not saying they were bad.  However the rescue dogs we have had seem to understand and appreciate their new home.  I melt when my German looks me directly in the eyes.

Try your best to enforce your rules right off the bat. New environment/ routine they are getting used to. Easy to set their behavior now vs trying to change bad habits. 

My adopted German Shepherd {was about 8 when we got him 2 years ago) took a good month to settle in and probably a year to get fully acclimated. 

23 hours ago, Reacher said:

Try your best to enforce your rules right off the bat. New environment/ routine they are getting used to. Easy to set their behavior now vs trying to change bad habits. 

My adopted German Shepherd {was about 8 when we got him 2 years ago) took a good month to settle in and probably a year to get fully acclimated. 

Yep. All day long. Took our rescue a good 6 months to a year to get completely settled in. Depends on what environment they came from or how long at shelter. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. All day long. Took our rescue a good 6 months to a year to get completely settled in. Depends on what environment they came from or how long at shelter. 

I think the age of the dog, breed, prior history and skill of the owner are all factors. German shepherds are very loyal and with ours being older you could tell he missed his old owner (we think he died) and are still rebuilding that trust. 

If there is an issue we have had with our "newborn son" thus far is that family and friends have been coming over all week-end to check out the new dog.  Seems to bother or make him uneasy.  I wish we would have got him on a Monday instead of a Friday afternoon.  Oh well.

The pup is fine now that activity has slowed down.  

Archived