Is it time to consider starting Hunter over Smith?

38 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Gotta say, all the Smith hate in this thread seems a little misplaced.  He’s averaging 10.6 points and 5.5 boards per game in Big Ten play.  Those aren’t crazy numbers, and he has his down games, but honestly he’s been a fairly consistent performer for this team this year.

This team is just in a pretty tough spot, since none of the guards/wings have really played well enough to justify moving Smith or Brunk to the bench.  I was absolutely banging the “go small” drum early on in the season, but none of Green, Durham, Franklin, Hunter, or Anderson have proved themselves to be more valuable than Smith or Brunk up to this point.  On the other hand, it’s not like the offense can get much worse, so going small is probably still worth a shot. 

That's why I said bring Brunk of the bench and move Smith to the 4

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That's why I said bring Brunk of the bench and move Smith to the 4

Agree for all the reasons that have been outlined, and also because I would assume that Brunk has the experience, leadership qualities and emotional intelligence to not let a move to the bench negatively impact his play. You don't even have to reduce his minutes, you're just moving them around. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree for all the reasons that have been outlined, and also because I would assume that Brunk has the experience, leadership qualities and emotional intelligence to not let a move to the bench negatively impact his play. You don't even have to reduce his minutes, you're just moving them around. 

Agree, and for the reason that Hunter's play has been elevating over the past several games. He seems to be starting to round into form. That should bode well going forward.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree, and for the reason that Hunter's play has been elevating over the past several games. He seems to be starting to round into form. That should bode well going forward.

This is what I've been saying. I think Hunter needs to start...whether he should replace Smith or Brunk remains to be seen. I would move them around based on our opponent's personnel for each game. And whoever gets demoted to the bench should still get a good amount of minutes. 

I know there is a contingent of people who would like Smith benched. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  My sense is Archie likes him more than some fans do.  Every sign we’ve seen is Smith is going to play and start.  

Brunk is going through a rough patch, but he does the dirty work that frees up other guys. He’s like the nose tackle that absorbs blockers and frees the middle linebacker to flow to the ball.  Just like the nose tackle who gets no stats from occupying blockers, Brunk is part of helping others.  By hanging tough against other big men, he eases TJD into being able to use his mobility and jumping ability, and keeping him away from fouls.  

We can deflect all we want, but the issue is the guard play.  The manna from heaven for us would be if we can get Kristian Lander to reclassify and come in next year.  If he thinks he’s going pro early anyway, why not get an extra year of college development?  It’s been speculated about.  My dream scenario would be to land him.  Then if you get a grad transfer or two out to free up another scholly, we could hopefully get a grad transfer back who can get on the wing and be a scorer.  Not just a shooter, but a guy on the wing who can go get buckets different ways.  

The core prospects I like on this team are TJD, Phinisee, Hunter, Thompson, Franklin, and Brunk.  I am super happy with the makeup of those guys.  We just need to add to those guys. But it’s a good starting point.  Next year, that’s a good start for a roster who will compete. I like our new recruits along the same lines and it’d be great if we could get 1-2 other guys who could inject some juice into the roster immediately to go with that nucleus.  

Archived