2023 NFL Discussion

rico

51 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I guarantee he’s already had several universities contact today. I’m sure his phone has been blowing up for job offers.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I don't see the next couple of years having as many big time jobs like this year. It would have been interesting if he had been fired 3 weeks ago

I wonder if a school would go so far as to fire a coach that they were going to retain just to hire Urban.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wonder if a school would go so far as to fire a coach that they were going to retain just to hire Urban.  

Yes I believe so. Like him or not he the winningest college coach of all time. At the end of the day the only thing a coach can do to to name him unhirable is losing. 

If you put Urban at LSU Saban would have serious concerns for sure. Kelly not going him scare him

Edited by Billingsley99

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes I believe so. Like him or not he the winningest college coach of all time. At the end of the day the only thing a coach can do to to name him unhirable is losing. 

If you put Urban at LSU Saban would have serious concerns for sure. Kelly not going him scare him

No he wouldn't. Saban ran Urban out of the SEC. Urban Meyer is too much of a coward to touch the SEC now. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Absolutely. Or if he went back to UF. Good God his UF teams were good. 

I'm pretty sure I remember Ezekiel running buck wild on Crimson Tide when Urban was coaching them, as well.  

Crummy person, absolute living legend of a football coach.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It absolutely was. Meyer's last SEC title was Saban's second season at Bama. Meyer is among many other things, a pathetic coward. 

For as good as Saban is defensively, that's how good Meyer is offensively.. UF would have consistently (their fair share) have beaten Bama. Those UF teams he built were as good as any Bama team Saban had. Both Pounceys, Harvin, Tebow, Aaron Hernandez, Carlos Dunlap and Riley Cooper all on the same team. 

I'm pretty sure Meyer has a winning record against Saban. 

Now..  I fully respect how great Saban is.. he's awesome. Urban is just as good, or certainly the closest thing to Saban we've seen. Dabo being right behind.

Him being scared? Dude had the entire state of Florida at his disposal. Florida was Bama before Bama was Bama, modern times speaking. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

For as good as Saban is defensively, that's how good Meyer is offensively.. UF would have consistently (their fair share) have beaten Bama. Those UF teams he built were as good as any Bama team Saban had. Both Pounceys, Harvin, Tebow, Aaron Hernandez, Carlos Dunlap and Riley Cooper all on the same team. 

I'm pretty sure Meyer has a winning record against Saban. 

Now..  I fully respect how great Saban is.. he's awesome. Urban is just as good, or certainly the closest thing to Saban we've seen. Dabo being right behind.

Him being scared? Dude had the entire state of Florida at his disposal. Florida was Bama before Bama was Bama, modern times speaking. 

Saban literally gave Urban a mental breakdown then banged on his coffin the next season for good measure. I don't think you'd find someone without a midwest (read, Urban Meyer) bias that wouldn't see it that way. Urban Meyer never ran the SEC the way Saban has, right on the heels of Florida's short great stint under Meyer. 

And it is amazingly laughable to think Florida's offenses in Meyer's best years were any better than Bama's. Bama's had more Heisman, more NFL QBs, RBs, WRs, O lineman.... it isn't even a close comparison between Meyer at Florida and Saban at Bama. 

Hell, even in the middle of Meyer's three good Florida years an LSU team built by Saban won a title while Florida flailed to an 8 win regular season. When is the last time Bama only won 8 games in a season, despite playing in the significantly harder side of the SEC?

Meyer couldn't even touch Saban when he was at OSU with a much easier path the playoff every year. 

Urban Meyer is a top 5-10 college football coach ever, and his daddy is named Nick Saban. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Saban literally gave Urban a mental breakdown then banged on his coffin the next season for good measure. I don't think you'd find someone without a midwest (read, Urban Meyer) bias that wouldn't see it that way. Urban Meyer never ran the SEC the way Saban has, right on the heels of Florida's short great stint under Meyer. 

And it is amazingly laughable to think Florida's offenses in Meyer's best years were any better than Bama's. Bama's had more Heisman, more NFL QBs, RBs, WRs, O lineman.... it isn't even a close comparison between Meyer at Florida and Saban at Bama. 

Hell, even in the middle of Meyer's three good Florida years an LSU team built by Saban won a title while Florida flailed to an 8 win regular season. When is the last time Bama only won 8 games in a season, despite playing in the significantly harder side of the SEC?

Meyer couldn't even touch Saban when he was at OSU with a much easier path the playoff every year. 

Urban Meyer is a top 5-10 college football coach ever, and his daddy is named Nick Saban. 

How can someone be your dad.. if you have beaten them more times than they've beaten you?

I'm not arguing he's better than Saban. He's not. No one is. 

But scared? Nah. He ain't scared. Neither were his UF teams. And yes his UF offenses were sooo much better than the Bama offenses at the time. So much. Yes I realize when you compare 3-5 years at one school compared to almost 20 years... they are going to have vastly more NFL players. Are you just completely forgetting how good those UF teams were? They were LOADED. I didnt even talk about their defensive talent, hardly at all. Haden, Hargreaves, Spikes. I could go on and on. 

If Urban stays at UF... Saban doesn't have the amount of titles he has now. Meyer could beat Saban, he proved that. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

How can someone be your dad.. if you have beaten them more times than they've beaten you?

I'm not arguing he's better than Saban. He's not. No one is. 

But scared? Nah. He ain't scared. Neither were his UF teams. And yes his UF offenses were sooo much better than the Bama offenses at the time. So much. Yes I realize when you compare 3-5 years at one school compared to almost 20 years... they are going to have vastly more NFL players. Are you just completely forgetting how good those UF teams were? They were LOADED. I didnt even talk about their defensive talent, hardly at all. Haden, Hargreaves, Spikes. I could go on and on. 

If Urban stays at UF... Saban doesn't have the amount of titles he has now. Meyer could beat Saban, he proved that. 

UF had one loaded team under Meyer in 2008. The 2006 team was not an offensive juggernaut. He had two double digit win seasons there. 

Yes, Meyer was scared. He had a panic attack after Bama beat him. That’s a fact. 

Of course Meyer would have beaten Saban at some point, but the FACT is he didn’t do it at Florida after Saban’s second season. Then he took his ball and went home because he was no longer the top dog in the SEC. How can you even argue that, it literally is what happened. This whole discourse started because someone said Saban would be scared of Meyer which is very clearly not the case. 

Yeah, Florida ran a more wide open offense than Bama over a decade ago. But now? Bama has as much talent and production on offense as any team ever year after year after year. 

I actually don’t think Meyer staying at Florida takes away any of Saban’s titles. He went to OSU which has an easier path to stopping Saban from a title than Florida and he managed to knock him out one time in seven years. Why would Saban be scared of that?

Edit - they’re 2-2 against each other, but one of Meyers win (and the only at Florida) was in Year 2 at Bama. Then Bama beat the tar out of him, he had a nervous breakdown, came back and got the tar beat out of him again and left the conference. Those are all documented facts… maybe correlation doesn’t equal causation but Urban Meyer sure profiles like a guy who can’t handle adversity and ran away. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

UF had one loaded team under Meyer in 2008. The 2006 team was not an offensive juggernaut. He had two double digit win seasons there. 

Yes, Meyer was scared. He had a panic attack after Bama beat him. That’s a fact. 

Of course Meyer would have beaten Saban at some point, but the FACT is he didn’t do it at Florida after Saban’s second season. Then he took his ball and went home because he was no longer the top dog in the SEC. How can you even argue that, it literally is what happened. This whole discourse started because someone said Saban would be scared of Meyer which is very clearly not the case. 

Yeah, Florida ran a more wide open offense than Bama over a decade ago. But now? Bama has as much talent and production on offense as any team ever year after year after year. 

I actually don’t think Meyer staying at Florida takes away any of Saban’s titles. He went to OSU which has an easier path to stopping Saban from a title than Florida and he managed to knock him out one time in seven years. Why would Saban be scared of that?

Edit - they’re 2-2 against each other, but one of Meyers win (and the only at Florida) was in Year 2 at Bama. Then Bama beat the tar out of him, he had a nervous breakdown, came back and got the tar beat out of him again and left the conference. Those are all documented facts… maybe correlation doesn’t equal causation but Urban Meyer sure profiles like a guy who can’t handle adversity and ran away. 

He went to the Jags lol obviously he's not scared of a challenge. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He went to the Jags lol obviously he's not scared of a challenge. 

I think that’s more arrogance and narcissism than anything. Narcissists typically deal with a challenge where they can eventually end up on top, and he knows he can’t do that with Saban. 

Edited by KoB2011

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Any of those field goals would have made a huge difference 

The first one was ridiculous. Literally it was free money. They returned the kick to the KC 25.. didn't move the ball basically, at all, and were still going to get 3pts. Take the points and move on. 

The last one... they'd already been down 10-0  from their own foolishness and at that point in time if someone would have told them you'll get a 30yd FG to go up 17-10 at the half, they would have signed that in blood. 

• Like 3