2023 NFL Discussion

rico

6 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I've never seen a receiver's shoulder pads as often as I saw theirs back in those days, because the Pats' corners were constantly tugging on their jerseys. 

It was absolutely ridiculous.

Regardless of them legitimately getting caught cheating, 3 times.... this was an even bigger crime. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, btownqb said:

truthfully... the worst call was the one they gave Evans in OT. That's a joke man. TB12 threw a s*** pass and gets literally bailed out. Evans didn't really even make an attempt to come back to the ball lol officials just said "heck it's close enough, we'll throw a flag" 

But yeah..another game winning drive for Brady lol 

I hate that call. It should be changed next year. The defender has every right to that spot on the field. They are in perfect position. The offensive guy shouldn't be able to come back through a player and get that call. You shouldn't be allowed to under throw the ball 5 yards and flail at the end and get a call. Mahomes and Hill do it also all the time. It's similar to the change in rules in the NBA imo. You can't just do non-football/basketball moves and be rewarded with a foul/penalty. I'm sure they won't because it's all offense all the time but it's almost impossible to be a DB in this league anymore. Then you look at the no calls Diggs got and you have to wonder wth is going on.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I've never seen a receiver's shoulder pads as often as I saw theirs back in those days, because the Pats' corners were constantly tugging on their jerseys. 

The Seahawks took a page right out of that book later on. Figure if you set a tone of physical play on the wrs early the refs will adjust and start letting more and more go as the game goes along. After all they won't call a penalty on every play. That said Belichek is no idiot. He adjusted his defenses not too long after that...and went from physical guys to zone and focused on taking away the best player on the other team and forcing teams to go to their second option. He now will let you move the ball between the 20's but once you get to the redzone....his defense goes to another level. Reason being...he probably has done more analytics in the redzone and charted the opponents tendencies better than any other coach. I mean Philly literally scored all their TDs from outside of the redzone and the only one inside was on the Philly special which was an illegal formation and was something almost impossible to prepare for. 

In the end the Colts loss to Pittsburg was the worst loss in my eyes. We were the best team in the league that year for sure and was loaded. How we wet the bed that night was a travesty.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I can't imagine being a life long Lion fan.  Hell, does such a fan even exist?

I can only assume most live in Detroit and looking around the Lions are probably more encouraging than life. 

Sticking with my stand.up routine. I did hear that Eminem will be performing at half time ofnthe Super Bowl. It's about time Detroit gets represented in the Super Bowl

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I hate that call. It should be changed next year. The defender has every right to that spot on the field. They are in perfect position. The offensive guy shouldn't be able to come back through a player and get that call. You shouldn't be allowed to under throw the ball 5 yards and flail at the end and get a call. Mahomes and Hill do it also all the time. It's similar to the change in rules in the NBA imo. You can't just do non-football/basketball moves and be rewarded with a foul/penalty. I'm sure they won't because it's all offense all the time but it's almost impossible to be a DB in this league anymore. Then you look at the no calls Diggs got and you have to wonder wth is going on.

It's not a penalty now if the defender plays the ball, the reason it gets called is because the defense is playing the receiver. Would you say on a slant it's okay for a defender to just get in the way of a receiver and not even attempt to play the ball? That's the door you're opening if you get the rule change you're asking for. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's not a penalty now if the defender plays the ball, the reason it gets called is because the defense is playing the receiver. Would you say on a slant it's okay for a defender to just get in the way of a receiver and not even attempt to play the ball? That's the door you're opening if you get the rule change you're asking for. 

Evans didn't play the ball, at all. 

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

Questioning whether Brady is the GOAT or not is one of the most ludicrous things I've seen on these boards going back to the Scout days when I started posting. 

There isn't even an argument for anyone else, thats how far Brady is ahead of the pack. 

Biggest Manning and before that Montana fan there is but I don't know any measure at QB he isn't #1. If you have one qb to lead your team to win a game to save your life who else would you want? Now when it comes to greatest players ever I can see arguements for Jerry Rice and several others at various positions but as we all know QB is the most important position on the field so I can see how that becomes the GOAT when we go into that discussion. I'd love to hear who the other 5 better qbs are but I know I've been hard opposed in another discussion so I don't want it to seem like I'm just trying to pick a fight...but I'm dying to hear.

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I didn't see that particular play and I know they miss calls on PI a lot, but my general point is that saying a receiving coming back for the ball and getting hit by a defender not looking should absolutely continue to be PI. 

Yes, I agree, if they come back for it. The Buffalo DB turned around as soon as Evans was looking for the ball. Evans not any sort of real attempt to come back. 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The defender should have the right to his position on the field. I know it's a different sport but it's analogous to taking a charge in basketball. Many times a defender isn't playing the ball etc but a guy just comes barreling down the lane leaving his feet to pass...and crashes into him. Why is it the defenders fault that the offense made a bad play? I don't care if the defender looks back or not...it's just simply impossible for a cb to be looking back at the qb and defend his man...it just isn't possible. Your asking him to do something physically impossible to run at 20 mph down a field trying to keep stride with a person you don't know where they are going and to simultaneously look back at a qb??? I just don't think that is fair.  We aren't talking where he runs into the wide receiver early or grabs etc of course that is one thing and I don't think all situations where they run into the wr obviously should be allowed but PI is already a judgement call...and I just think in this one type of scenerio it should be a no call. They can learn to adjust on that situation and make it an area of emphasis to not give that call...especially when it really is uncatchable.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Biggest Manning and before that Montana fan there is but I don't know any measure at QB he isn't #1. If you have one qb to lead your team to win a game to save your life who else would you want? Now when it comes to greatest players ever I can see arguements for Jerry Rice and several others at various positions but as we all know QB is the most important position on the field so I can see how that becomes the GOAT when we go into that discussion. I'd love to hear who the other 5 better qbs are but I know I've been hard opposed in another discussion so I don't want it to seem like I'm just trying to pick a fight...but I'm dying to hear.

@btownqb

Can one be the GOAT and still be overrated?

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yes, I agree, if they come back for it. The Buffalo DB turned around as soon as Evans was looking for the ball. Evans not any sort of real attempt to come back. 

Then that sounds like a blown call by current rules. No need for a rule change, just call things correctly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The defender should have the right to his position on the field. I know it's a different sport but it's analogous to taking a charge in basketball. Many times a defender isn't playing the ball etc but a guy just comes barreling down the lane leaving his feet to pass...and crashes into him. Why is it the defenders fault that the offense made a bad play? I don't care if the defender looks back or not...it's just simply impossible for a cb to be looking back at the qb and defend his man...it just isn't possible. Your asking him to do something physically impossible to run at 20 mph down a field trying to keep stride with a person you don't know where they are going and to simultaneously look back at a qb??? I just don't think that is fair.  We aren't talking where he runs into the wide receiver early or grabs etc of course that is one thing and I don't think all situations where they run into the wr obviously should be allowed but PI is already a judgement call...and I just think in this one type of scenerio it should be a no call. They can learn to adjust on that situation and make it an area of emphasis to not give that call...especially when it really is uncatchable.

I've personally never seen an under thrown deep ball that the defender who had his back to the ball was stationary. Generally the defender doesn't know it's under thrown and is continuing to go down field - that's not a defender being stationary and getting run into, it's a defender trying to force a receiver away from a ball because the defender doesn't know where it is. Do you have an example where the defender was just stationary and holding his place on the field? 

• Like 1