Interesting Inside the Hall article: Archie Cites Locker Room Challenges

IUFLA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, iufaninand said:

It’s going to take some player  to step up and change the culture. To not accept losing and to work hard and lead by example. Not everyone can be the alpha dog.  In this day every player comes in /is being told they’re “that guy “. I really think our next recruiting class has “team guys”. I think that will help turn the tide

Agree and that's the hard part because none of our upperclassmen would do that except Brunk. Problem with Brunk is he just got here. TJD can be such a guy but he's too young. Other juniors and seniors simply don't have that quality. They're just nice kids, but I'm not even sure if they are at least good followers. In a team setting, each individual should be at least good at one thing; to lead or to follow. As time goes by, I get disappointed more and more by kids recruited by Tom Crean. He always preached leadership, good judgments, teamwork, and all the fancy and right things he had to say, but the kids he recruited towards the end of his tenure at IU simply don't have these qualities. Guess that was why he was fired. Bad thing is the new coach had to hang on to these kids for 3 years, and even though he gave (or had to give) them TONS of playing time, these guys only get marginally better without leadership quality nor good follower mentality. I'm getting tired of this lack of character. 

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Could be but man, he's close with Blake Wesley and he's got a little brother who's pretty good evidently.

I just don't see him getting enough minutes.  He has just struggled to adjust to the B1G level of play.  I don't know if the game is just too fast at this level or he is just so broke confidence wise that he can't get out of his own way.  Unless he make s a huge leap shooting or defensively, he is going to struggle to get many minutes next year.  Freshmen are going to be taking them from him.  Just my opinion

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I just don't see him getting enough minutes.  He has just struggled to adjust to the B1G level of play.  I don't know if the game is just too fast at this level or he is just so broke confidence wise that he can't get out of his own way.  Unless he make s a huge leap shooting or defensively, he is going to struggle to get many minutes next year.  Freshmen are going to be taking them from him.  Just my opinion

And maybe that's okay. As long as he is a good teammate. He's a really strong practice Defender I would imagine.  

This is slightly off-topic, but I’m a Jacobs grad and there are a lot of similarities between a basketball team and a music studio. 

I went to IU because of my teacher, not the school. When I showed up the studio’s culture was trash and didn’t start to get fixed until those guys started to graduate and we became the ones in charge. It took years to fully adjust that culture though. 

When I went to graduate school, it was a similar situation except since I was only there for two years I couldn’t do as much to fix things. Joey Brunk could be a great leader and influence on the locker room but it’s going to take one of archie’s freshmen or sophomores to step up as a leader when they’re upperclassmen in order to change the culture in a positive way. 

I see about speculation on having more openings and I just had a thought about Anderson.  He was playing a lot early on and probably partially due to injuries.  Now he is not getting off the bench at all so I was wondering if he might have told Archie that he is looking to leave after the season.  This might be a reason that Anderson is not getting any playing time at all.  This is just pure speculation on my part and have no knowledge of the situation.

32 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

This is slightly off-topic, but I’m a Jacobs grad and there are a lot of similarities between a basketball team and a music studio. 

I went to IU because of my teacher, not the school. When I showed up the studio’s culture was trash and didn’t start to get fixed until those guys started to graduate and we became the ones in charge. It took years to fully adjust that culture though. 

When I went to graduate school, it was a similar situation except since I was only there for two years I couldn’t do as much to fix things. Joey Brunk could be a great leader and influence on the locker room but it’s going to take one of archie’s freshmen or sophomores to step up as a leader when they’re upperclassmen in order to change the culture in a positive way. 

Obviously this is just me speculating without really knowing anything (none of us know any of this stuff behind the scenes), but I would think Brunk's age and experience and his relationship with TJD, or at least reported relationship, would give him some leverage. Typically if you can get the best player on your side, your good. I'd imagine then that guys like Franklin and Phinisee would fall in line, and all of the sudden you have a leadership core there, albeit young. 

Then next year you'd expect the freshmen to fall in line with that group, and Hunter and Race seem like team guys, and then all of the sudden the culture is just about there with almost the entire roster. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Obviously this is just me speculating without really knowing anything (none of us know any of this stuff behind the scenes), but I would think Brunk's age and experience and his relationship with TJD, or at least reported relationship, would give him some leverage. Typically if you can get the best player on your side, your good. I'd imagine then that guys like Franklin and Phinisee would fall in line, and all of the sudden you have a leadership core there, albeit young. 

Then next year you'd expect the freshmen to fall in line with that group, and Hunter and Race seem like team guys, and then all of the sudden the culture is just about there with almost the entire roster. 

That’s the sort of situation that makes me optimistic. I feel like the team next year will be a lot better than this year’s team. 

21 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It's not pleasant to discuss but this is big-boy basketball and not biddy ball where everybody plays and gets an ice cream cone after the game.  We have some purging to do of this roster. 

Got a chuckle from this.  My kids are 7 and 8 and I already despise the after game snack routine.  But there are some parents that think it is wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

That’s the sort of situation that makes me optimistic. I feel like the team next year will be a lot better than this year’s team. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great speculation BGleas......I think this could be some real insight to the direction of this team. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read between the lines here and figure out where the "dots stop connecting"....Agree with me or not, every team has jealous or envious players to some degree. It can vary from hype the of a new player, better on and off court connections among players and even coaches..... At some point ALL of these players were starters and never saw the bench. 

38 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Check out Coach Miller's comments about the team "buy in", etc.....at the 10:00 mark....pretty interesting......

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Indiana-hoosiers-basketball-Coach-TV-Archie-Miller-previews-Iowa-addresses-team-leadership-143722753/

said, "caring about one another," about 5 times.  

8 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Joey Brunk could be a great leader and influence on the locker room but it’s going to take one of archie’s freshmen or sophomores to step up as a leader when they’re upperclassmen in order to change the culture in a positive way. 

Good grief, man, how long do we give this situation?

I don’t know what to think about what’s going on, honestly.  But I think those who are done with Coach AM read stuff like the above and wonder if some will EVER be able to draw the line.

Given what you wrote above:  say Phinisee, etc. get it together and are solid leaders as seniors.  Which means the underclassmen of that season two years off will be the first group of Coach’s players to have come up through the program in a normal “Archie Miller environment.”  Do we then need to wait until THOSE guys are seniors before rendering a verdict on the present coach?

I know it sounds absurd when laid out like that, and I’m NOT saying that’s the way YOU are thinking, but I can understand why people are starting to roll their eyes when talk like this arises.

I’m obviously not stoked about what’s happened so far, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to fire a coach before giving them 4 seasons to get the program stable. So I’m not even worried about firing Archie and I’ll just continue to support this team for now. Not worth focusing on something that won’t happen anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m obviously not stoked about what’s happened so far, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to fire a coach before giving them 4 seasons to get the program stable. So I’m not even worried about firing Archie and I’ll just continue to support this team for now. Not worth focusing on something that won’t happen anyway. 

I think a lot of people are fine with four years (I am, though certainly disturbed and disappointed by where we are at this moment).  But what I was commenting on means five (Phinisee is a senior) at least, because the poster wrote something like THEN the culture change can get underway.

The culture change needs to be happening RIGHT NOW.

I think the culture will be a little better next year, but won’t start to really look like an Archie Miller team until his initial class’s senior year. So I think it’ll take 2 more seasons, but I’d rather sit through that than fire Archie too soon and be in an even worse spot than before we even fired Crean. 

All Coach AM has to do is start winning.  The foul mouthed guy on Crimson Cast (episode 659, “The Nadir of 2020”) who started yelling that is right.  All of this goes away if IU JUST WINS.

Actually, it doesn’t even take THAT much to turn down the heat:  just play hard and competitively, even if they lose!

13 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Gals/guys. Transfers will happen every year. Still confused why we are one of the most heavily trafficked boards (not this board but IU fans in general) and we continue to bring up transfers every year. Only program that does. 

You think we are the only board or fans that speculate on transfers?

Archived