Iowa post game

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

In my humble opinion, Trayce Jackson Davis, had his best OVERALL game of his fledgling IU career.  Yet, not one mention in the game thread, nor up till now in this post game thread.     A lot of talk about Garza. A lot of talk about Green. Understood.  However there are times that it takes a game like the one that TJD had, from keeping the game from falling apart.  Oh well.... it must be me. 

I agree Mile...TJD had a GREAT game. His work on the post, defensively was outstanding. He wasn't on Garza the whole game, especially at the 3 pt line, but down low he battled more than I've seen him do so, for the entire time he was in there. Garza would have gotten 50 if TJD wasn't guarding him. He also fought for rebounds, passing out of the post, and setting screens. He ran the floor, and let the offensive game come to him.

And while I'm not Smith's biggest fan, he played GREAT defense on Wiesenkamp. Other than the first 3 for Iowa, he didn't make another 3 until late in the game, when it was pretty much decided. Smith gets 90% of the defensive credit in my book. The big threat is Wiesenkamp getting 30 as well as Garza. Phin also played good defense out front.

The 2 missed lobs were Green's fault, not Smith or Trace. Pass was not catchable in either instance.

1 minute ago, DWB said:

And while I'm not Smith's biggest fan, he played GREAT defense on Wiesenkamp. Other than the first 3 for Iowa, he didn't make another 3 until late in the game, when it was pretty much decided. Smith gets 90% of the defensive credit in my book. The big threat is Wiesenkamp getting 30 as well as Garza. Phin also played good defense out front.

The 2 missed lobs were Green's fault, not Smith or Trace. Pass was not catchable in either instance.

Couldn't agree more. Justin did a terrific job last night on Iowa's second option, and I would say on both ends - he was active on the offensive boards as well. 

Besides Green.....thought Race had his best game as a Hoosier. As we've all mentioned multiple times...just stay healthy kid. 12 touches for TJD turns into 17 points. Still would like to see that number around 15 touches each game but oh well. TJD had a really, really strong game too. As a team 22 points from FT line but really happy we got there 32 times. I know Iowa isn't the best on defense but getting to the line that much shows aggressiveness/attacking rim. Solid minutes and contributions from DD and Hunter. Brunk seemed to be off but could just be a bad game.

Another ranked team win. I give up on trying to figure the rankings. Right now I know we're solidly in the tourney and couple of these players have a chance to change the story that's been written about them. 

Missed game do to work,sounds like they played well and some players stepped  up...heard O G,Blackmon and Danny Green were at the game...I think if we can get through first 10 mins in Ann Arbor we have a good shot a winning...this team is hard to figure out,but come March they could also be a dangerous team for an opponent just because of the uncertainty of how they will play.

I think we can all agree, .......coming to work the day after a big win sets the tone the rest of the day,...especially winning over a ranked opponent!

Bottom line, It's so nice and refreshing to be able to enjoy and relive the positives/potentials of a win instead of all the negativity that accompanies defeat.  

But more importantly,.... my wife is always so much more beautiful too! 😍

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Iowa is 17-8 on the season.

Indiana is 16-8 on the season and owns the head to head win against the Hawks.

We heard multiple times tonight what a great season Iowa was having while hearing about how critical of a win this was for IU.  

I thought the same thing as well. Watching the game last night, you would have thought that the commentators were from Iowa. They both had a man crush on Garza....

Great game for the DG and I hope he realizes that when he plays well it makes this team that much better.  if this team can just come out and play with that intensity and energy every game it will give them a chance to win games.  It is just one game but I hope this can lead to this team coming out and playing this way the rest of the year.  If they play that hard and not win then I am ok with that especially on the road but they can't go back to playing like they did against PU.

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I thought the same thing as well. Watching the game last night, you would have thought that the commentators were from Iowa. They both had a man crush on Garza....

I have a crush on Garza.  Imagine if Brunk, Race, Justin, and Trayce improve a quarter of what he improved from last season to now.  

He's the poster child for hard work pays off.  

20 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

You gotta admit, the guy is impressive. He's not the most athletic kid in the world (I actually saw him get rim stuffed on a breakaway this year and he's 6'11"). 

His game is a product of hard work, as Shon Morris said, not only on his shot and moves, but on his physical conditioning. 

Hard to not like and pull for (but not against IU!) a kid like that...

36 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Missed game do to work,sounds like they played well and some players stepped  up...heard O G,Blackmon and Danny Green were at the game...I think if we can get through first 10 mins in Ann Arbor we have a good shot a winning...this team is hard to figure out,but come March they could also be a dangerous team for an opponent just because of the uncertainty of how they will play.

Heard Juwan was there too...

having a crush on Garza with those scary eye brows is a bit concerning... i have always been a big Brunk fan, but he was bad last night.  no biggie.  certain match-ups will dictate what kind of contributor he will be.  still love the guy!  RP struggled last night, but i am definitely still a believer.  good to see Thompson playing better.  not advocating for making him a starter just yet though.  i am coming around (and admitting i was wrong) about Hunter.  i don't think there's any way it will happen, but i would be totally good with him starting instead of Smith.  i'm a huge TJD fan.  DG is what he is.  he was clearly dialed in last night, so you ride him.  if he comes out forcing shots and missing Sunday, pull him and don't play him much.  it's usually pretty easy to see early on.  last night gives me tourney hopes, but again, winning either of the next 2 on the road is gonna be awful tough.  

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have decided not to even come to the board during the games and it was to late after the game to come on here.

I don't blame you.  It was a peaceful night here at "Rancho Rico" as well as on HSN.  The "vultures" disappeared for an entire game!

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't blame you.  It was a peaceful night here at "Rancho Rico" as well as on HSN.  The "vultures" disappeared for an entire game!

They will be back after the next loss.  I have been trying to put less stress in my life and message boards during games are to stressful.  I have been praying that I will be a better person and coming here during bad play I become a less than good person.

Some key stats of the game. IU was 22-32 FTs, BUT, four different players combined to go 8-8 in the last 1:30. Clutch when Iowa was trying to make it a game at the end.

IU 16 Off Reb to Iowa 7. IU 16 assists on 28 baskets versus IA 9 on 26. Yes, Hoosiers had 17 TOs, but IA had 18, so offset. IU was 11-7 on steals and converted some live ball TOs.

I think Garza goes pro this year. A lot of NBA teams would love to have a guy his size who scores so easily anywhere on the court. Will IA be that much better next year than this year if he returns? Don't see them making a FF run, so why come back? Current consensus is that 2020 will be a weak draft.

Does anyone know what happened with Hunter's technical? I don't get too worked up about a guy momentarily blowing his lid and getting t'ed up, but that doesn't seem to be at all what happened. Hunter seemed quite calm, but his reaction was obviously going to lead to a t. 

I never saw another angle or a zoom in on Phinisee's reaching fouls, so it's possible one or both of those happened, but from my vantage point he committed zero fouls last night and was called for four.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In the pre game thread I said I had a very good feeling about the Iowa game and predicted a win 78-74.  I really think we will still win enough games to get into the tournament.

I even think 9-11 gets IU in the tournament. That would put them at 19-11 with no bad losses. There will be such a logjam of 10-10/9-11 teams and the bubble isn't too strong this year. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It appears that @bobtcat2and several others took the night off as well.  But, I;m sure they will be on at some point today to help celebrate the win.  :coffee:

Ha ha!  I missed watching the game due to an emergency but I did post a happy message when I saw they were up double digits.   Still the same scenario,  need to win out at home to get in, but it just became much more likely 

Archived