Coronavirus

Reacher

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It would be interesting to see a graph of pre-existing conditions by age and overlay it with Covid deaths by age. I'd think that the curve would match up pretty well. 

I need to get into the UVC ray business. Although, I've heard that only the commercial grade UVC lights really only make a difference. (It may have said that in the article, but I didn't have time to read because I'm running out the door.) 

UV rays can be harmful to humans so the key is to be around 220 nanometers to kill the viruses but not harm people. That would be a great business to be in. Looks like LED versions will be available eventually. Cost will come down but they are $$$$ now.

https://www.geekwire.com/2020/inside-seattles-space-needle-1m-spent-cleaning-tech-ensure-safe-reopening/

"The Space Needle has added an array of ultraviolet light technology intended to rid the air and surfaces of harmful viruses. Guests will pass through Far-UV-C “sanitizing” body scanners at the front gates that look like airport metal detectors. Inside, they’ll breathe air that’s been zapped by even stronger UV-C light inside the building’s mechanical systems."

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Colorado College in Colorado Springs.... telling all 2,100 students... that they have until September 20... to leave campus. 

My wife and I were talking over the weekend about if this is still going on when my son graduates high school.  We will not be paying on-campus tuition if he is not getting the full on campus experience.  That would include actually being in a classroom and not learning virtually.  We will let him take a year off, or go locally to IUS for a year until students can get back on campus and in the classroom.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 11:55 AM, Billingsley99 said:

Praise GOD Aydens covid test came back negative. Still sick and it takes him so long to recover but we are very happy for sure.

Fantastic news. One day at a time for Ayden to recover. Reading this made my day. You are all an inspiration to me. Wishing you all nothing but the best every single day!

• Thanks 2

Just heard a report from the CDC where they admitted that only 6% of the deaths attributed to corona virus were actually the sole cause of death.

94% of the "labeled" corona virus deaths were from people with multiple pre-existing conditions, and very old.

So of the 160,000 deaths attributed to corona virus, over 150,000 were actually from people with severe health issues prior to contracting the virus. "Only" 9600 were from the virus itself. That's ¼-th the amount of a flu season.

So why are we still in lock down? Hmmm?

23 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just heard a report from the CDC where they admitted that only 6% of the deaths attributed to corona virus were actually the sole cause of death.

94% of the "labeled" corona virus deaths were from people with multiple pre-existing conditions, and very old.

So of the 160,000 deaths attributed to corona virus, over 150,000 were actually from people with severe health issues prior to contracting the virus. "Only" 9600 were from the virus itself. That's ¼-th the amount of a flu season.

So why are we still in lock down? Hmmm?

You’re not understanding it correctly. Comorbidity can be considered hypertension, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, immune deficiencies. Basically, it’s broad enough to cover a high percentage of the population; especially if they are over 50.

I’m 40 and pretty darn healthy, I expect to live to at least 80 (fingers crossed) technically if I died of COVID I’d have a comorbidity on my death certificate because  genetics have granted me the good fortune of having a pre-existing heart condition (a fib). I would not be in that 6%; very few people would be. 

Bottom line, our excessive deaths are up almost 200k since March; this the the total number of excessive deaths over the 5 year average in the same time frame. Unless those extra 200K died from some other mysterious virus we don't’ know about, it’s pretty safe to assume they died because of COVID. This does a pretty good job at explaining it: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My wife and I were talking over the weekend about if this is still going on when my son graduates high school.  We will not be paying on-campus tuition if he is not getting the full on campus experience.  That would include actually being in a classroom and not learning virtually.  We will let him take a year off, or go locally to IUS for a year until students can get back on campus and in the classroom.

CC students were told there would  be no on campus classes for the rest of the academic year.  But... if they choose to.  Conduct classes on line.

It's a shame. As interacting with fellow students on campus....is ever bit of the college experience.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hopefully the restructuring of colleges will be a good thing that comes from this virus.  College costs and return on investment have been out of control.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Hopefully the restructuring of colleges will be a good thing that comes from this virus.  College costs and return on investment have been out of control.

Definitely a good thing. College shouldn't be easy and way too many worthless degrees.

My intro to Biology class was a 100 level class that was intended to weed out the non hackers.  200+ at the beginning maybe 30 of is moved on.

Most of the quitters went to liberal arts or business majors.  

Art and art history, music, English!! (We all speak it), are things you can teach yourself for free.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Definitely a good thing. College shouldn't be easy and way too many worthless degrees.

My intro to Biology class was a 100 level class that was intended to weed out the non hackers.  200+ at the beginning maybe 30 of is moved on.

Most of the quitters went to liberal arts or business majors.  

Art and art history, music, English!! (We all speak it), are things you can teach yourself for free.  

This could be a topic all on its own, but agreed. The amount of useless majors out there are crazy.

• Like 1

This is significant. We are identifying, and counting as cases, people who may have successfully fought off the virus months ago?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

"Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

On Thursday, the United States recorded 45,604 new coronavirus cases, according to a database maintained by The Times. If the rates of contagiousness in Massachusetts and New York were to apply nationwide, then perhaps only 4,500 of those people may actually need to isolate and submit to contact tracing."

38 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This is significant. We are identifying, and counting as cases, people who may have successfully fought off the virus months ago?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

"Some of the nation’s leading public health experts are raising a new concern in the endless debate over coronavirus testing in the United States: The standard tests are diagnosing huge numbers of people who may be carrying relatively insignificant amounts of the virus.

The PCR test amplifies genetic matter from the virus in cycles; the fewer cycles required, the greater the amount of virus, or viral load, in the sample. The greater the viral load, the more likely the patient is to be contagious.

This number of amplification cycles needed to find the virus, called the cycle threshold, is never included in the results sent to doctors and coronavirus patients, although it could tell them how infectious the patients are.

In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found.

On Thursday, the United States recorded 45,604 new coronavirus cases, according to a database maintained by The Times. If the rates of contagiousness in Massachusetts and New York were to apply nationwide, then perhaps only 4,500 of those people may actually need to isolate and submit to contact tracing."

I do PCR at work everyday. A 5 micro liter sample of enrichment (less volume than the tip of a ball point pen) will produce detectable levels of bacteria at 40 cycles.

And with the CDC recently saying detectable levels of virus can found up to 3 months old, I wonder how many of these positives are active cases. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I do PCR at work everyday. A 5 micro liter sample of enrichment (less volume than the tip of a ball point pen) will produce detectable levels of bacteria at 40 cycles.

And with the CDC recently saying detectable levels of virus can found up to 3 months old, I wonder how many of these positives are active cases. 

Right! Probably should have it set to 30 cycles. Any way you slice it, positive cases have been vastly overstated influencing peoples actions and government policy accordingly.

• Like 1

From the WSJ editorial board:

We hate to be the bearer of good news, but here goes: The so-called second virus wave is receding and has been far less deadly than the first in the spring thanks to better therapies and government preparation. Nobody is suggesting we should now let it rip, but the progress should give Americans more confidence that schools and businesses can reopen safely. (…)

Hospitalizations and deaths in hot spots peaked at about the same time in apparent contradiction to epidemiological models that have predicted two- to three-week lags between cases, hospitalizations and deaths. (…)

The best news is that the virus is killing fewer Americans than it did during the spring. (…) One reason is better (and earlier) treatment including less intensive ventilation and therapies like remdesivir. Doctors in Texas and Arizona have said they prepared for their states’ surge by seeking advice from doctors in New York City.

States also are doing a better job protecting their elderly and vulnerable populations, so there have been relatively fewer deaths in nursing homes. (…)

Nobody is suggesting the U.S. has achieved herd immunity and should now declare victory. Americans will have to behave cautiously for many more months, but it’s still worth taking stock of progress. (…)

• Like 2

It's not that I enjoy pointing out BS reporting by the Media, but.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-covid-19-death-linked-to-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-reported-in-minnesota/ar-BB18DPOM?ocid=msedgntp

Article factually states that the rally ended on August 16th.  Today is September 2nd.  So, it roughly ended two weeks ago if my calculations are correct.

The article also contains the following.  

The man was in his 60s, had underlying conditions and was hospitalized in intensive care for several weeks after returning from the rally,

Maybe it's just me, but my definition of 'several' does not start at the number two.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

It's not that I enjoy pointing out BS reporting by the Media, but.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/first-covid-19-death-linked-to-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-reported-in-minnesota/ar-BB18DPOM?ocid=msedgntp

Article factually states that the rally ended on August 16th.  Today is September 2nd.  So, it roughly ended two weeks ago if my calculations are correct.

The article also contains the following.  

The man was in his 60s, had underlying conditions and was hospitalized in intensive care for several weeks after returning from the rally,

Maybe it's just me, but my definition of 'several' does not start at the number two.

At this point have you had several wives yet or still too low of a number for several??

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Went into the food mart at a gas station this evening.  

• Cashier had her mask down around her neck.
  • Woman customer buying stuff had no mask at all.
  • As I was leaving, man walks in with no mask.

I'm sure they just didn't want anyone to think they were about to rob the joint.