Coronavirus

Reacher

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I tell myself I'm a samurai.

Made me think of the old Belushi SNL samurai skits...

After being in the military for so long, I cannot stand having my hair long. Mine was longer than it had been since 1980 a couple of weeks back because of the virus...finally went and got it shaved to the nub about 3 weeks ago...

As far as barbers go, when I first joined the USAF, I'd spend a couple of minutes telling the guys at the base barber shop how I wanted it...they'd say, "Oh yeah?" Then zip, zip, zip "That'll be 6 bucks." 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

After being in the military for so long, I cannot stand having my hair long. Mine was longer than it had been since 1980 a couple of weeks back because of the virus...finally went and got it shaved to the nub about 3 weeks ago...

As far as barbers go, when I first joined the USAF, I'd spend a couple of minutes telling the guys at the base barber shop how I wanted it...they'd say, "Oh yeah?" Then zip, zip, zip "That'll be 6 bucks." 

I remember my first hair cut at basic training in Fort Dix, New Jersey.  Those barbers were brutal. Literally. Skin heads for every one. Zip, zip, zip. Done in a matter of seconds.    And most left with bleeding heads.  Really. 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, IUFLA said:

Ha, even better a Belushi samurai!

I really do prefer a buzz cut, but happy wife, happy life. She likes it long. Now it feels like it's short, but it's the longest I think it's ever been.

21 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I remember my first hair cut at basic training in Fort Dix, New Jersey.  Those barbers were brutal. Literally. Skin heads for every one. Zip, zip, zip. Done in a matter of seconds.    And most left with bleeding heads.  Really. 

Same story, different service branch. In boot camp at Great Lakes, the Navy barbers were brutal to recruits. I had pretty long hair then and they were laughing and making fun of me. Didn't really matter, b/c we all looked the same after that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The old guys at crosstown barber shop in Bloomington took great care of me for years. The wife has been cutting it every 3 weeks for the past 15 plus years. She does a great job.  I used to color her hair and did a decent job.  

So I'm not the only one! To be honest I enjoyed coloring her hair. I'm pretty meticulous so things like bring out my creativeness. 

And if a woman trusts you with here hair you know you're in good. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sorry, yes, the corona census in the hospital is it's highest since May 31.  

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So I'm not the only one! To be honest I enjoyed coloring her hair. I'm pretty meticulous so things like bring out my creativeness. 

And if a woman trusts you with here hair you know you're in good. 

You guys have bigger cajones than I've got...I'd be afraid I'd screw that up like Hogan's goat and have a permanent suite in the dog house...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sorry, yes, the corona census in the hospital is it's highest since May 31.  

Interesting.  In the city, I can't remember the last time we ran in on a patient we suspected covid.  Wonder if the nursing homes are still getting hit hard.  I moved houses right at the start of this.  I knew of one nursing home that was ran over.  2 in the district.  I moved closer into downtown and no nursing homes in my district and I haven't been doing overtime so I may be out of touch with what others are encountering.  A medic buddy on the ambulance got covid and a few ff budies but overall not like you would think with our exposure.  I heard somewhere, maybe here, an entire police force got covid.  Impd in large doesn't even wear masks on scene anymore.  Just my observations in a small square mile bubble near the inner city.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Interesting.  In the city, I can't remember the last time we ran in on a patient we suspected covid.  Wonder if the nursing homes are still getting hit hard.  I moved houses right at the start of this.  I knew of one nursing home that was ran over.  2 in the district.  I moved closer into downtown and no nursing homes in my district and I haven't been doing overtime so I may be out of touch with what others are encountering.  A medic buddy on the ambulance got covid and a few ff budies but overall not like you would think with our exposure.  I heard somewhere, maybe here, an entire police force got covid.  Impd in large doesn't even wear masks on scene anymore.  Just my observations on a smale square mile bubble near the inner city.  

I know this is all anecdotal but one of my wifes clients is an ER doctor at Memorial Hospital in Jasper.  Less than a dozen covid patients in months. Hmmm.

35 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I know this is all anecdotal but one of my wifes clients is an ER doctor at Memorial Hospital in Jasper.  Less than a dozen covid patients in months. Hmmm.

The Indiana Department of Health site has the ability to filter data by county.  I'm assuming there is only one hospital in Dubois County.  Could be situation where a nursing home hit hard and the patients bypassed the ER, I guess. 

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/

Amazon announces their Covid cases. Remarkably, a lower percentage than the general population -  despite not being locked down.  https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2020/10/06/amazon_thoroughly_wrecks_narrative_about_lockdowns_being_necessary_579797.html

And

70,000 tests of college kids resulting in 3 hospitalizations and 0 deaths-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Amazon announces their Covid cases. Remarkably, a lower percentage than the general population -  despite not being locked down.  https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2020/10/06/amazon_thoroughly_wrecks_narrative_about_lockdowns_being_necessary_579797.html

And

70,000 tests of college kids resulting in 3 hospitalizations and 0 deaths-

For Amazon, it's amazing what being tested constantly and wearing masks will do. If we could do this nationwide I think it'd help a ton and lessen the amount of restrictions imposed.

As for college students, I don't think it's a surprise to many that the virus hasn't hospitalized many. I keep on seeing these tweets that seem to be stating the obvious like they are trying to prove something. The concerning thing about college students, is not them being infected, it's who they are spreading the infection to.

In a perfect world if students get infected, know exactly when they are contagious, and take the necessary precautions to limit the spread then that would be fine. But if they are careless about receiving it, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll be careless about spreading it. This is a virus and it spreads exponentially. Part of that exponential spread will be to older people with an increased amount of comorbidities: Professors, janitors, employee's at local establishments, etc. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reacher said:

Focused Prevention--the new method for handling Covid? 

https://gbdeclaration.org/

An article article about the GDC that does a good job at portraying both perspectives on this: https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/519727-trump-health-official-meets-with-doctors-pushing-herd-immunity

One of the GDC's authors did clarify in the article above: 

After this story was published, Bhattacharya, the Stanford professor, said it was “false” to say the group was pushing a herd immunity strategy. “A herd immunity strategy better describes the current lockdown policy,” he said in an email. “Herd immunity is a biological fact so of course we mention it, but it is not our strategy.”

Regardless, when broaching the subject I always come back to the following:

1. We still don't know how long immunities last. 
2. If we just wait 3-4 more months we *may* be able to start giving vaccines to the most vulnerable, which would avoid a lot of deaths and many more hospitalizations. 
3. How do we keep the most vulnerable protected? This study and other proponents just generally or theoretically say we let young people get the virus and protect the vulnerable, but how? Up until last week, I'd say that the White House was 'protected', but the virus snuck it's way in and infected the most important people in our government. I have to think that the level of protection the WH receives is going to be way, way more than my Grandma will ever receive. 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

For Amazon, it's amazing what being tested constantly and wearing masks will do. If we could do this nationwide I think it'd help a ton and lessen the amount of restrictions imposed.

As for college students, I don't think it's a surprise to many that the virus hasn't hospitalized many. I keep on seeing these tweets that seem to be stating the obvious like they are trying to prove something. The concerning thing about college students, is not them being infected, it's who they are spreading the infection to.

In a perfect world if students get infected, know exactly when they are contagious, and take the necessary precautions to limit the spread then that would be fine. But if they are careless about receiving it, it's a pretty safe bet that they'll be careless about spreading it. This is a virus and it spreads exponentially. Part of that exponential spread will be to older people with an increased amount of comorbidities: Professors, janitors, employee's at local establishments, etc. 

Heard a study this morning that roughly 2/3 of colleges polled are not testing students regularly. I can say my son who is back at school is not getting tested by the school, but then he is attending class online despite being on campus, which also seems to be happening on a number of campuses so not sure how accurate the study is, but worth noting anyway. Colleges that are opening and having students attend classes should be testing with some kind of regularity, otherwise they are part of the problem.