Jump to content

Morels are up


rico
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Watch out for poison ivy!!!

I'm one of those people that is highly allergic to it. All I have to do is breathe it.....  🙄

I used to get it so bad I would have to go to the ER for benadryl shots from time to time. But even with that if I got it on my jewels it took a month or more to go away.  

Got less allergic over time and now I rarely get it. When I do it's just some small patches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I used to get it so bad I would have to go to the ER for benadryl shots from time to time. But even with that if I got it on my jewels it took a month or more to go away.  

Got less allergic over time and now I rarely get it. When I do it's just some small patches. 

Cortisone shot. Stuff is amazing. In my case, all symptoms were gone in less than 24hrs. Rash and all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Cortisone shot. Stuff is amazing. In my case, all symptoms were gone in less than 24hrs. Rash and all

Been years since I had one so forgot what it was. Remember using OTC benadryl.  But yeah, amazing.  I would get it so bad my eyes would swell shut and I would have trouble breathing due to swelling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Going to go try my luck tomorrow. Really just looking forward to getting out in the woods for awhile. 

Can't remember where you are at...but I would caution you about ticks.  They are out here in Warsaw.  Poison ivy?  Meh, I don't get it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rico said:

Can't remember where you are at...but I would caution you about ticks.  They are out here in Warsaw.  Poison ivy?  Meh, I don't get it.

Yep. Teeny tiny varmits are out. I use peppermint oil and water in a spray bottle as an attempt to repel ticks and mosquitos. Either works or been lucky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

It's probably still a week or two away for me. For anyone in Illinois, there is a really good Facebook page that follows the progress of where people are finding them in the state. Could give Indiana people an idea too.

https://m.facebook.com/IllinoisMorelMushrooms/

Same with me in north central Iowa       We were wanting to go down to Missouri next weekend, we shall see 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Produce shop near me sells them for $36/lb.  Since they have to be 3ft tall for me to find enough I usually buy from him a few times a season. Got some soaking for tonight. 

I remember when me and my grandpa would go we would fill breadsacks full of them.  I feel like they aren't as abundant as they used to be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

 

I remember when me and my grandpa would go we would fill breadsacks full of them.  I feel like they aren't as abundant as they used to be. 

Yeah, it seems the old days were much better.  But a couple of my personal thoughts are 1) that more people are hunting them.  2) More of the farmers woods are getting logged out.  3)  The emerald ash borer has rendered the ash tree nearly extinct in my area.  White and black ash trees were great producers of morel mushrooms.  And 4) My eyesight ain't as good as it once was.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BDB said:

Hoping to get out this Friday for the first time.  Still early here, but what the heck.  Actually, just looked at the weekly forecast and it has highs of 44 this week.  Maybe next week.

They are predicting a chance of snow in my area this week...sigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, rico said:

The snow is falling in the Warsaw area as I type...UGH

Woke up this morning with the grassy areas covered in snow.  Supposed to warm up next week here, so I will wait another week to get out.  I have the next 6 Fridays off work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a friend of mine who basically went Jeremiah Johnson but did it here in Indiana. Sold everything and bought a farm/land out near Cloverdale. He's huge in the morel stuff. My question out of curiosity. How much are these bad boys worth? Normal haul of say a kroger plastic grocery bag?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I have a friend of mine who basically went Jeremiah Johnson but did it here in Indiana. Sold everything and bought a farm/land out near Cloverdale. He's huge in the morel stuff. My question out of curiosity. How much are these bad boys worth? Normal haul of say a kroger plastic grocery bag?

$35-$45 per lb. usually.  Give or take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...