General Music Thread

IUFLA

57 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No group has ever harmonized as well as the Beach Boys.  Whether you like the surfer vibe or not, I think most people would really enjoy this lesser known song if they gave it a listen.

That reminds me of another awesomely mastered album: Brian Wilson’s rerelease of Smile. Holy cow.

• Like 2

a follow up from Smile. The last minute of 'Surfs Up' is one of my favorite clips of recorded music ever. 

Side note, I think this is the last CD I ever purchased. I got it the day it was released. 

Side side note, I know there's a debate about if this album is better than the original Beach Boys Smile Sessions, and I think that I'm in the minority, but I'm going with the re-release every time and twice on Sundays. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Side note: The Beatles vs Beach Boys rivalry was the impetus for some really great music in the mid 60s...

I also always loved that story you linked; it's one that more huge music fans should know. Brian Wilson drove himself crazy trying to top Sgt. Peppers with SMiLE. There are cool interviews of him saying how he experimented with so many drugs to push the boundaries of innovation, that he got to the point where he couldn't distinguish reality from his trips. Wilson was literally afraid to listen to the original Smile session tapes for 30 years.  Back to me plugging SMiLE (again); this is why I love that album so much. Listening to Cabin Essence (for example) transports you to a fun house in Brian Wilson's state of mind....it's so bizarre. And another over-looked thing about SMiLE is how the harmonies were used percussively; just another thing that is 100% uniquely Brian Wilson. 

Not living through it, but It kinda sucks that Beach Boys seem to have been perceived as more of an afterthought in that era. The article quotes George Martin as saying Sgt. Peppers wouldn't have been made without Pet Sounds, but I'd also venture to say say that many albums wouldn't have been made without Pet Sounds. The way harmonies are used in today's music subconsciously channel the Beach Boys. Groups that come to mind are Gorrilaz (Demon Days), TV on the Radio, Prince, Bon Iver, Bruno Mars, The Bee Gees.....you could go on and on. 

And for anybody who is a Van Dyke Parks fan you need to check out Silverchair's album (yes, 'Frogstomp' Silverchair) Young Modern, which he helped write and produce. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Grunge killed hair metal. I like both genres.  My dad did not like grunge. Two songs bridging both era's that he liked.  About as opposite as it gets. 

I think Warrant was underrated.  The timing wasnt right for them. 

I saw Warrant in concert with White Snake many years back before the passing of Jani Lane. Speaking of Jani Lane, he was friends with a good friend of mine ....and played in his backyard a couple times in Northern Indiana for his birthday party.

Also, the song "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was very good....maybe my favorite song of theirs.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I saw Warrant in concert with White Snake many years back before the passing of Jani Lane. Speaking of Jani Lane, he was friends with a good friend of mine ....and played in his backyard a couple times in Northern Indiana for his birthday party.

Also, the song "Uncle Tom's Cabin" was very good....maybe my favorite song of theirs.

Very cool. And yeah, Uncle Tom's Cabin is great. My dads favorite of theirs was I Saw Red. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bootlegs anyone? I used to collect and trade "bootleg" live cds of concerts from my favorite bands. I have hundreds of cds of various concerts and bands ranging from the Beatles rooftop concert to my favorite band Van Halen. Anyone else collect or listen to bootlegs? Now you can download etc, but back in the day we used to trade cds via snail mail. I just started going through some of these and giving some a listen again. Some are really poor quality, but some of the soundboard recordings are quite good.

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Bootlegs anyone? I used to collect and trade "bootleg" live cds of concerts from my favorite bands. I have hundreds of cds of various concerts and bands ranging from the Beatles rooftop concert to my favorite band Van Halen. Anyone else collect or listen to bootlegs? Now you can download etc, but back in the day we used to trade cds via snail mail. I just started going through some of these and giving some a listen again. Some are really poor quality, but some of the soundboard recordings are quite good.

Crap, after decades of running soundboard, you mean there is money to be made? Oh wait, I run soundboard at church.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Crap, after decades of running soundboard, you mean there is money to be made? Oh wait, I run soundboard at church.

I don't think they are worth much now...since you can find lots of them online for free downloads. I need to go through and see how many shows I have...I think I have around 500 shows on discs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Saw Motley Crue open up for Aerosmith once. I thought they were better live than Aerosmith!

I saw Aerosmith on the "Rocks" tour circa 1976 in old Market Square Arena...Montrose (right after Sammy Hagar left them)...Aerosmith was fabulous...

Never saw Motely Crue, but always wanted to...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I saw Aerosmith on the "Rocks" tour circa 1976 in old Market Square Arena...Montrose (right after Sammy Hagar left them)...Aerosmith was fabulous...

Never saw Motely Crue, but always wanted to...

I've seen Sammy several times in concert...with Van Halen and solo several times(a couple times when him and Roth were touring together). Sammy puts on a great show too if you haven't seen him. Motley Crue was supposed to do a big tour last year but COVID obviously happened...they will probably tour this year or next year if you still want to see them. I saw them/Aerosmith probably 13/14 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Saw Motley Crue open up for Aerosmith once. I thought they were better live than Aerosmith! Motley Crue had nice looking ladies on stage as well!

Saw Motley Crue on their Shout at the Devil and Theatre of Pain tours in Evansville. They put on a heck of a show both times, but the Shout at the Devin tour was epic! 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, FritzIam4IU said:

I've seen Sammy several times in concert...with Van Halen and solo several times(a couple times when him and Roth were touring together). Sammy puts on a great show too if you haven't seen him. Motley Crue was supposed to do a big tour last year but COVID obviously happened...they will probably tour this year or next year if you still want to see them. I saw them/Aerosmith probably 13/14 years ago.

I actually just saw that they are doing a stadium tour with Def Leppard and Poison. 

People can say what they like about 80’s music but those groups had some technically skilled musicians. 

• Like 4