General Music Thread

IUFLA

On 12/5/2020 at 8:23 AM, 5fouls said:

Stumbled across this bracket of the Worst Christmas Songs Ever.

See the source image

And here is the Winner!

The Christmas Shoes - YouTube

Not sure I agree with the rankings and never heard The Christmas Shoes, but Mele Kalikimana  can’t advance too far if only for Randy Quaid with his shirt tucked into his bathing suit 

On 12/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, IUFLA said:

I know some think he's a little corny, but I love singer/songwriters...nothing like a guy who can put an acoustic guitar on his knee and sing something beautiful...

Nothing corny about this song. One of the best. 

Let me present you this.  Now some of the "artists", well most of them involved are douchebags but the concept and mashup is masterful. 

Edited by mrflynn03

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I've never been to Hawaii at Christmas.  Actually, I've never been to Hawaii.  

Bing Crosby - Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian Christmas Song) - YouTube

Highly recommend at least one trip to Hawaii.  First time we went.... cruised the islands.  7 islands in 8 days. The neat thing about that is the ship would leave a port at night.... and arrive at the next port the following morning. Now... Alaska is a different story. Beautiful state.  But ship can leave a port at night, and still be going to the next port till the middle of the next day.

Back in the day when there was no color tv.... Arthur Godfrey would broadcast from Honolulu.

Arthur Godfrey - My Little Grass Shack 

49 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Thank you for your service my friend. 

That's something I did not get while serving during the Viet Nam conflict.  In order to fly military, we were required to wear our dress uniforms.  Going through the airport in St. Louis, one day.... I got attacked by 6 college students.  My military training swung into action.  And they all took off running.

In terms of my 21 year old when I left for the Army.  We were engaged to be married.  She followed me to all my in state duty stations.  Then.... when I was on leave, and visited her in Chicago.... she gave me the engagement ring back. Much more to the story.  But I feel I have bored you too much by now.

Greatest Rock N Roll Vietnam War Music 60s 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's something I did not get while serving during the Viet Nam conflict.  In order to fly military, we were required to wear our dress uniforms.  Going through the airport in St. Louis, one day.... I got attacked by 6 college students.  My military training swung into action.  And they all took off running.

In terms of my 21 year old when I left for the Army.  We were engaged to be married.  She followed me to all my in state duty stations.  Then.... when I was on leave, and visited her in Chicago.... she gave me the engagement ring back. Much more to the story.  But I feel I have bored you too much by now.

Greatest Rock N Roll Vietnam War Music 60s 

My brother Tim was in Viet Nam too. He was drafted into the Marines. Everyone he went over with was killed. Tim was awarded numerous purple hearts and the Bronze and Silver Stars. He was in my opinion the original Rambo. He was a martial arts and an explosive expert as well as being an interrogator. 

When he came home and guys would find out he was in Viet Nam they would want to fight him. He never talked about being over there and he did everything he could do to not engage them. When they gave him no choice but to fight he would always ask them, "what leg do you want broken?" If they continued to push him and he had to fight he would break their leg. He was one bad xxx dude. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

My brother Tim was in Viet Nam too. He was drafted into the Marines.

First, God Bless your brother for his service...

I never thought you could get drafted into the Marines until I worked with a Vietnam Vet in the mid 70s...He said he'd been drafted, and went to the Army induction center where there was about 80 draftees in a room...A Marine came in and said, "I need 10 for the Marines. Raise your hand" No one raised their hands, so he pointed at guys and said, "Ok, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 9,10...Grab your gear and welcome to the Corps."

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First, God Bless your brother for his service...

I never thought you could get drafted into the Marines until I worked with a Vietnam Vet in the mid 70s...He said he'd been drafted, and went to the Army induction center where there was about 80 draftees in a room...A Marine came in and said, "I need 10 for the Marines. Raise your hand" No one raised their hands, so he pointed at guys and said, "Ok, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 9,10...Grab your gear and welcome to the Corps."

Thank you. Tim was also at the induction center with a whole bunch of draftees. He and about 6 other guys were playing cards when a Marine recruiter walked in and said he need volunteers for the Marines. The recruiter looked at the table they were sitting at playing cards and said I will take you, you, you, you, you and you. So that whole table became Marines. LOL

7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Thank you. Tim was also at the induction center with a whole bunch of draftees. He and about 6 other guys were playing cards when a Marine recruiter walked in and said he need volunteers for the Marines. The recruiter looked at the table they were sitting at playing cards and said I will take you, you, you, you, you and you. So that whole table became Marines. LOL

I actually saw that happen at the Chicago Induction Center. A Marine picking and choosing.  Long story... but I did meet with the head guy of the draft center in Indianapolis, as I was attempting to get into the Army. He was a Navy guy.  My draft number was 364, which meant I would not have to go in.  He sent me back to Gary.  Walked into the Army center to meet a hopping mad Staff Sergeant... who had gotten the order to let me in.... and take away a guy he had already sworn in.

Ride of the Valkyries 

• Like 2