Shelter-at-home turnaround jumper question

So I'm bored as heck and not able to get out on the court, and spending my time watching highlights on YouTube.  I came across this clip and wondered.. what's Jordan doing with his hip shimmy before the turnaround?  I know this is a common maneuver but it seems like a good example because it's so exaggerated.  Is he using his shoulders to test how much space he has, confirming that he can get the shot off to his left?  Or trying to create that space, and finding nobody up there to move?  Or is he pulling his right hip away from the defender's hand-check?  

giphy.gif

He makes that turn around jumper with a defender that close look easy.  Most guys can't get away with that shot.  The hip thing is you watch, creates separation from the defenders hand, making it easier for him to spin, fade and shoot.  The defender loses contact and control of where the shooter is going.  IMO

If you look closely, That hip shake forces the defender to slightly move to his right.....it is slight, but if you look closely you can see it. That tiny shift gives MJ just enough room to spin the opposite direction.

I also feel some of those maneuvers  create "rhythm" for the shooter.

57 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I think the key to that shot is 2 fold.

1.  He drops his right foot slightly just before his spin to get the defender to shift just enough.

2.  It’s Jordan.

Yep. I think it also puts the defender slightly off balance when his right hand slips from the movement which makes him slower to react. 

Archived