Guess who's going to Europe.

Word to me.  It's De'Ron Davis.

Who recently tweeted his surprise that he was the first in his family to earn a college degree.

Is in the process of hiring an agent. 

IU has had others who have done well playing overseas after IU.  I can only hope the same for De'Ron.  Will be following you... big fella.  Just wish you could have played in the NCAAT.

Stay safe. Stay strong. And stay injury free. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Good deal. Hard to think of another Hoosier that has had more hardship than DD. 

I will give you one.  Mo Creek.  Suffered through three season ending injuries in 22 months, while at IU.

Interestingly enough.  Mo is still playing professional ball in Ukraine. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I will give you one.  Mo Creek.  Suffered through three season ending injuries in 22 months, while at IU.

Interestingly enough.  Mo is still playing professional ball in Ukraine. 

Yep. DD and Mo at least over the last 10 years are the two who naturally come to mind. Wish Davis nothing but the best. When healthy we saw how valuable he can be. Hopefully this is a start of a very well paying way to live life.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. DD and Mo at least over the last 10 years are the two who naturally come to mind. Wish Davis nothing but the best. When healthy we saw how valuable he can be. Hopefully this is a start of a very well paying way to live life.

Knowing De'Ron and his mom, the way I do... I think they would appreciate your thoughts of well wishes.

There's money to be made in Europe for former IU players.  Jordan Hulls started out in Poland.  He is now playing for his fifth European team.  This one in Germany.  Doing some research.  Several websites have estimated Jordan's net worth in the millions of dollars.  One has him at $51 million :

Jordan Hulls : Net Worth

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Knowing De'Ron and his mom, the way I do... I think they would appreciate your thoughts of well wishes.

There's money to be made in Europe for former IU players.  Jordan Hulls started out in Poland.  He is now playing for his fifth European team.  This one in Germany.  Doing some research.  Several websites have estimated Jordan's net worth in the millions of dollars.  One has him at $51 million :

That seems...unlikely. Probably off by at least a factor of 10 unless he's made some GREAT investments that have paid off quickly. Still, he might have several million dollars and that isn't bad money at all.

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

That seems...unlikely. Probably off by at least a factor of 10 unless he's made some GREAT investments that have paid off quickly. Still, he might have several million dollars and that isn't bad money at all.

Yes. Sounded bloated to me as well.  Yet.  Many sites have Jordan Hulls listed as a multi millionaire.  Not bad for a 29 year old former Hoosier who never played in the NBA. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

AJ Moye was another star over in Europe.  

FYI - A player who played professional basketball in an area you would never think...Xavier Keeling - played in Iraq. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

AJ Moye was another star over in Europe.  

FYI - A player who played professional basketball in an area you would never think...Xavier Keeling - played in Iraq. 

Yep.  Knew about Moye.  Thanks for bringing him into the discussion. Always loved the chant IU fans gave him in Assembly Hall.

Was not aware of Keeling playing in Iraq.  Guess that's better than Iran.... LOL.

Does anyone have a reliable source for European player salaries? I remember trying to look this up several years back when Jordan and Sheehey went over to play. I was listening to a podcast a couple of weeks ago and Rabjohns made a comment something like the following...by going to Europe you can make six figures and the first digit may not necessarily be a 1. If that is the case - yes these guys can make good money...but its not NBA money. Common sense tells me this is probably accurate, which is probably why guys like Watford and Troy Williams didn't try to make much of a go of it over there.

32 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Does anyone have a reliable source for European player salaries? I remember trying to look this up several years back when Jordan and Sheehey went over to play. I was listening to a podcast a couple of weeks ago and Rabjohns made a comment something like the following...by going to Europe you can make six figures and the first digit may not necessarily be a 1. If that is the case - yes these guys can make good money...but its not NBA money. Common sense tells me this is probably accurate, which is probably why guys like Watford and Troy Williams didn't try to make much of a go of it over there.

Here's what my research has found for me.  Though not on a level of a pro in the NBA.... top flight European BB players make millions, annually.  And in most cases. Tax free.

1 hour ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Stars can make millions. Others who are good but not great could make multiple $100k. Best money is in EuroLeague, I think. Others pay less.

Not NBA money (Euro stars make about as much as bench warmers in NBA) but not chump change.

Top European basketball salaries

Minimum NBA salaries

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Stars can make millions. Others who are good but not great could make multiple $100k. Best money is in EuroLeague, I think. Others pay less.

Not NBA money (Euro stars make about as much as bench warmers in NBA) but not chump change.

Minimum NBA salaries

Good add. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Minimum NBA salaries

I take back that bolded section after actually reading the article. For the European players, it's actually like making much more (they say double the listed value) due to less taxes in many cases compared to the US. I don't know if this would be the same for US citizen players playing in Europe. I know they still have to file taxes but do they still have to pay US income taxes? I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I take back that bolded section after actually reading the article. For the European players, it's actually like making much more (they say double the listed value) due to less taxes in many cases compared to the US. I don't know if this would be the same for US citizen players playing in Europe. I know they still have to file taxes but do they still have to pay US income taxes? I'm not sure.

American's playing  overseas, are required to file an IRS tax form, annually.  However the income they earn overseas is exempted from taxes in our country.

Thanks for asking the question.  I have done my homework.  Hope that answers your question.

Archived