Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Sign in to follow this  
Indykev

Rivals Final 2020 rankings out

Having followed recruiting back to the 1980s, IMO the recruting services overall tend to suffer from a variety of problems.  They get caught up in group think.  I’ve gone out to AAU events and, yes, they are fun. But guys hang out, talk, and suddenly the group think phenomenon kicks in.  They tend to overrate athleticism, even if the kid is soft and more flash over substance.  What they miss though, are precisely what Btown refers to, the kid that makes the winning play as well as tenacity and motor.  

The other thing is you don’t need to collect the highest ranked kids in a mish-mash that doesn’t make sense.  You need to construct a team that complements each other.  Knight had roles in mind for a winning formula.  Nobody has the mind of Knight today but you can still see the importance of complementary players.  

30 years ago one of my siblings saw a kid named Calbert Cheaney before he broke his leg and he was positive he would be a stud in college.  We had him as the best player in the class other than Funderburke yet he wasn’t ranked particularly as an elite player.  Since then I’ve sort of decided that I will decide for myself.  I’m not claiming I’m always right.  I saw Brian Evans and had my doubts.  I couldn’t envision what he would turn out to be.  But, and I don’t mean to be cocky, I do alright with my own assessments.  

The gurus will always overrate Bracey Wright and Andrae Patterson and Hanner Perea and underrate Tom Coverdale, Chris Kramer, Brian Evans, Kirk Haston, and Brian Cardinal.  

I think Archie is putting together a roster that will make sense, where, hopefully, the sum of the parts will exceed the individuals. 

That’s not to say that rankings are totally useless.  Some players are obviously good and I don’t just mean the Kobe’s and the Lebron types.  You can see that some kids have that winning gene and are talented and skilled.   Most of the top 20 will be good and that will be obvious to someone who doesn’t even understand ball.  But that kid may not stick around long to win a bleeping thing.  Beyond that, does it matter if a kid is ranked 44 or 87 (of course not)?  You take the athletic kid at 44 who is kind of self absorbed and lacks self awareness and I will take the kid ranked 87 who wants to kick everyone’s ass and who is a team guy with fundamentals.  And I will win more often than not.  The objective is to win, not collect a trophy for recruiting guru rankings.  Overall, I would say that some of the recruiting gurus are good in aggregating information and data.  But that doesn’t validate them as assessors or talent.  Far from it.  

I endorse what HoosierHoopster said because he articulated my feelings well. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i agree with the 90-120 point.  BGleas broke it down into sections not long ago that i agreed with.  you can't sell me that the success rate of a top 25 kid compared to a 125 kid aren't very different.  of course it always comes up about guys like Oladipo or DWade.  sure, there are always exceptions.  but it is very very tough to predict who those exceptions are.  just to say that he could do it all in high school and his team won a bunch of games, so he's overrated is tough to convince me.  i still think the thing that interests me the most is what other teams offered.  

Agree on offers including who offered - and when. Quick example - Hollowell. Good player, but after being offered early by schools like OSU, OSU and some others backed off later while the offers still showed. Hollowell was a good player but not per his “ranking.” And there are of course a gazillion examples of guys ranked in the top 25-50 who don’t pan out at all. Again, rankings are just one way to try to measure a player, and they are in many cases hit or miss. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Drroogh said:

To me the most important ranking at this time is the CAM ranking! How does coach Miller rank these guys based on what he has seen? Have to say he has had some misses like Jake, who I thought was going to be the X factor. Shows how much I know! All in all, I'm happy with the players he has brought in, but like I said what do I know!

Jake counldnt stay away from parties and get in the gym.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Indykev said:

Jake counldnt stay away from parties and get in the gym.

man, i feel like an old man losing my memory, but i haven't had enough coffee or a shower to get my brain moving!  who is Jake?

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man, i feel like an old man losing my memory, but i haven't had enough coffee or a shower to get my brain moving!  who is Jake?

Jake Forrester

All I know about rankings is that for the 2021 class, the best guard, and maybe the best overall player is a kid from Coronado High School in Henderson, NV (where i am), named Jaden Hardy.  Everyone, except apparently IU, is after him.  He's a 6'5" guard, primarily shooting guard, who does everything.  Averaged 30+ points, 8 1/2 rebounds and around 7 or 8 assists per game as a Junior.  I mentioned him on this board last year.  How can we get Archie to at least look out this way?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUguy said:

All I know about rankings is that for the 2021 class, the best guard, and maybe the best overall player is a kid from Coronado High School in Henderson, NV (where i am), named Jaden Hardy.  Everyone, except apparently IU, is after him.  He's a 6'5" guard, primarily shooting guard, who does everything.  Averaged 30+ points, 8 1/2 rebounds and around 7 or 8 assists per game as a Junior.  I mentioned him on this board last year.  How can we get Archie to at least look out this way?

Probably be the kind of player that might go the G-league route or go to the NBA if they change the age requirement.

44 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I think you answered your own question.  If everyone is on him we have no shot at a top 10 player out west with no connections.  On top of that we have a good amount of wings on roster and a few we are recruiting, Archie would probably rather roll with them than a one and done that may not even fit the system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2