National Scene 2020(Not B1G)

rico

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Boston College passes on playing in bowl game in 2020 season (espn.com)

BC opting out of going to a bowl game.  I know there new AD is who a lot of IU fans wanted so maybe a good thing he didn't come here.

I think this is a great move. I don't think the benefit of 15 extra practices is worth the tradeoff and the expense to go to some minor bowl game. 

These kids have been through hell this year. They deserve to be home for the holidays, spending time with their families and friends. 

Do you realize how expensive it is to do the regular covid testing required to meet the guidelines to play? In a year where program revenues are down everywhere, the decision not to spend that money so they could play in a meaningless, and non-profitable bowl game is a smart business decision. Do you realize what it costs to keep the athletes fed and sheltered, again to play in a meaningless game? Due to covid restrictions, there are no longer the open spread buffets for kids meals. Each meal has to be individually packaged for each diner. Again, escalating the costs to the athletic department. 

The decision to not play the bowl game is much more involved than just not playing a game. Appears to me that BC got an AD who is pretty adept at evaluating and taking decisive actions in the best interests of his program.

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I think this is a great move. I don't think the benefit of 15 extra practices is worth the tradeoff and the expense to go to some minor bowl game. 

These kids have been through hell this year. They deserve to be home for the holidays, spending time with their families and friends. 

Do you realize how expensive it is to do the regular covid testing required to meet the guidelines to play? In a year where program revenues are down everywhere, the decision not to spend that money so they could play in a meaningless, and non-profitable bowl game is a smart business decision. Do you realize what it costs to keep the athletes fed and sheltered, again to play in a meaningless game? Due to covid restrictions, there are no longer the open spread buffets for kids meals. Each meal has to be individually packaged for each diner. Again, escalating the costs to the athletic department. 

The decision to not play the bowl game is much more involved than just not playing a game. Appears to me that BC got an AD who is pretty adept at evaluating and taking decisive actions in the best interests of his program.

It is the ole "Catch-22".  I completely understand the BC decision.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

With that thinking no team should go to a bowl game this year because you won't be making any money. There will be no fans to buy tickets so all athletic programs will lose money

Archived