Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  
IU Scott

7 college basketball fans living in the past

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Sark said:

How much was Archie involved in cheating at Arizona?

I don’t know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sark said:

Scott and many believe Self is a serial cheater. How was IU able to compete with him to get RL? And since both are Addidas schools, what role did they play do you think?

You do know Kansas was mentioned in the NCAA investigation before Langford committed, right? It’s the same reason he eliminated Louisville. Just last week Langford’s Dad gave the answer to this question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You do know Kansas was mentioned in the NCAA investigation before Langford committed, right? It’s the same reason he eliminated Louisville. Just last week Langford’s Dad gave the answer to this question. 

What would you have expected him to say? There were plenty of rumors that TL had his hand out during RL’s recruitment, leading schools like Duke and UK to take a pass. Allegedly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sark said:

What would you have expected him to say? There were plenty of rumors that TL had his hand out during RL’s recruitment, leading schools like Duke and UK to take a pass. Allegedly.

He didn’t have to say anything and he hadn’t until last week, it was the Langford’s track record. He did the same thing with Louisville. Scandal and they were out. 

Langford passed on UK and Duke, not the other way around. You’re out of your mind if you think UK and Duke passed because they’re squeaky clean. How do you explain Zion, Anthony Davis, Bledsoe, etc., etc,?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He didn’t have to say anything and he hadn’t until last week, it was the Langford’s track record. He did the same thing with Louisville. Scandal and they were out. 

Langford passed on UK and Duke, not the other way around. You’re out of your mind if you think UK and Duke passed because they’re squeaky clean. How do you explain Zion, Anthony Davis, Bledsoe, etc., etc,?

As for UK I heard that the Langford's did not like Cal when Romeo played for him in International play.  Also Romeo's final two schools were IU and Vanderbilt.

You must still be arguing with Sark, so do what I did and put him on ignore.  He is not worth it because he will never admit he is wrong.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As for UK I heard that the Langford's did not like Cal when Romeo played for him in International play.  Also Romeo's final two schools were IU and Vanderbilt.

You must still be arguing with Sark, so do what I did and put him on ignore.  He is not worth it because he will never admit he is wrong.

I’ve made it a point to never put anyone on ignore, though I do highly doubt he’s actually an IU fan, though admittedly I don’t have “proof”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I’ve made it a point to never put anyone on ignore, though I do highly doubt he’s actually an IU fan, though admittedly I don’t have “proof”. 

He is the first one I have on this forum but had many on ignore when I was in rivals.  This guy seems like a couple of guys over there that thought they new more than anyone and was so conected to the program.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sark said:

You claimed they have structural problems, which is nonsense. Their problem, much like IU basketball, is that they believed they had some secret sauce that was unique to them and that winning would always occur because of it. They forgot, or never knew, that it’s about leadership. So they made lousy hire after lousy hire, just like IU, and the program fell off, not winning a national championship in 25 years. And that’s with the most loyal fan base in all of sports, selling out every game in a growing stadium since 1962. That’s with the best facilities. That’s with an ease of admission to the university. Sound familiar? The right leadership opens up all those recruiting avenues again. Not sure? Look at Alabama football and who’s won and who hasn’t, or Texas and T A&M, or USC, or FSU. Look at DePaul or Georgetown in hoops. Leadership is the issue. Not structural problems.

This is pure deflection.  Of course leadership is critical.  We could talk about IU’s mistakes and have done so on this site for years.  I didn’t like much of it in real time.  But what you pressed me on was why I thought Nebraska football and Indiana basketball do not have the same story.  I gave you an answer and you are moving the subject around.  At the end of the day, Indiana will always have access to winning in state talent.  Basketball is only about 13 scholarships, a small fraction of what it takes in football.  I gave you my reasoning and you pushed back seemingly to say Nebraska can still get elite out of state talent and out of region talent in the volume they used to when they used to get the Roziers and Fryars from Jersey, etc.  Lawrence Phillips came out of Cali.  You’re being disingenuous if you are trying to argue they are still getting those guys in the volume they would need.  And it would be an upset if they got that any time soon.  

I’m sure you remember those 1980s Nebraska teams where they seemed to be in the Orange Bowl every year.  I have a buddy who played defensive end there then.  They were stacked with elite out of state talent.  That might as well have been a different galaxy from their potential now.  

IU basketball doesn’t have to deal with all those problems since the in state talent in basketball is endless.  IU has had poor leadership at a variety of levels but there have been a host of in state players that IU could have won with if we had better leadership as you put it.  From Kyle Guy to Luke Harangody to Dominic James to Sean McDermott to Bryant McIntosh to Desmond Bane, and that’s without getting into the Deshaun Thomas, Greg Oden and Mike Conley types.   Or Sean May jilting us over loyalty to his dad’s coach.   You can expect that this type of talent will be there the next 20 years.  Nebraska doesn’t have any of that.  

And to think it’s realistic that Nebraska could come out of the junior division of the B1G and then knock out OSU or PSU AND then beat an SEC school and/or Clemson? They just aren’t set up for that.  Their challenge is far greater than anything IU basketball has.  That’s the topic that you asked me to explain and there it is.  I can’t keep repeating myself so that’s it.  You can deflect and change the subject all you want but those are structural differences between Nebraska football and IU basketball.

 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He didn’t have to say anything and he hadn’t until last week, it was the Langford’s track record. He did the same thing with Louisville. Scandal and they were out. 

Langford passed on UK and Duke, not the other way around. You’re out of your mind if you think UK and Duke passed because they’re squeaky clean. How do you explain Zion, Anthony Davis, Bledsoe, etc., etc,?

So RL passed on those schools that you say cheat for IU? And TL was known to have been paid by Addidas. Hmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This is pure deflection.  Of course leadership is critical.  We could talk about IU’s mistakes and have done so for years.  I didn’t like much of it in real time.  But what you pressed me on was why I thought Nebraska football and Indiana basketball do not have the same story.  I gave your answer and you are moving the subject around.  At the end of the day, Indiana will always have access to winning in state talent.  Basketball is only about 13 scholarships, a small fraction of what it takes in football.  I gave you my reasoning and you pushed back seemingly to say Nebraska can still get elite out of state and out of region talent in the volume they used to when they used to get the Roziers and Fryars from Jersey.  Lawrence Phillips came out of Cali.  You’re being disingenuous if you are trying to argue they are still getting those guys in the volume they would need.  And it would be an upset if they got that any time soon.  

You remember those 1980s Nebraska teams where they seemed to be in the Orange Bowl every year.  I have a buddy who played defensive end there then.  They were stacked with elite out of state talent.  That might as well have been a different galaxy from their potential now.  

IU basketball doesn’t have to deal with all those problems since the in state talent is endless.  IU has had poor leadership but there have been a host of in state players that IU could have won with with better leadership as you put it.  from Kyle Guy to Luke Harangody to Dominic James to Sean McDermott to Bryant McIntosh to Desmond Bane, and that’s without getting into the Deshaun Thomas, Greg Oden and Mike Conley types.   Or Sean May jilting is over his dad’s coach.   You can expect that this type of talent will be there the next 20 years.  Nebraska doesn’t have any of that.  

And to think it’s realistic that Nebraska could come out of the junior division of the B1G and then knock out OSU or PSU AND then beat an SEC school and/or Clemson? They just aren’t set up for that.  Their challenge is far greater than anything IU basketball has.  That’s the topic that you asked me to explain and there it is.  I can’t keep repeating myself so that’s it.  You can deflect and change the subject all you want but those are structural differences between Nebraska football and IU basketball.

 

Nothing has changed structurally for Nebraska, which is why your argument was nonsense. You can’t even explain what you meant, since it meant nothing. Their issue, like IUs has been leadership. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sark said:

Nothing has changed structurally for Nebraska, which is why your argument was nonsense. You can’t even explain what you meant, since it meant nothing. Their issue, like IUs has been leadership. 

They don’t have access to in state talent. They don’t have Tom Osborne.  IU doesn’t have Knight but we don’t need to go convince some Jersey kid to come to IU. We can go to Silver Creek with or without Knight and get talent.  Nebraska can’t go into Camden and get a stud athlete without Osborne.  Big difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ve made it a point to never put anyone on ignore, though I do highly doubt he’s actually an IU fan, though admittedly I don’t have “proof”. 

Scott really got upset because he couldn’t provide facts, so he put me on ignore and then went on the attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sark said:

So RL passed on those schools that you say cheat for IU? And TL was known to have been paid by Addidas. Hmm.

TL was payed by Adidas, that’s not a secret. He was paid to operate Langford’s AAU Team, just like Marvin Bagley’s parents were paid by Nike to operate his AAU team.  

Yeah, Langford and Cal didn’t get along on that international tour they were on. That’s also pretty common knowledge. You’re out of your mind if you don’t think Cal wanted and would have absolutely taken Langford if he wanted to go there.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

They don’t have access to in state talent. They don’t have Tom Osborne.  IU doesn’t have Knight but we don’t need to go convince some Jersey kid to come to IU. We can go to Silver Creek with or without Knight and get talent.  Nebraska can’t go into Camden and get a stud athlete without Osborne.  Big difference.  

The talent level is no different today in Nebraska than it ever was. That’s more nonsense. It’s leadership. Look how much trouble some IU coaches had recruiting in Indiana. It’s all about leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

TL was payed by Adidas, that’s not a secret. He was paid to operate Langford’s AAU Team, just like Marvin Bagley’s parents were paid by Nike to operate his AAU team.  

Yeah, Langford and Cal didn’t get along on that international tour they were on. That’s also pretty common knowledge. You’re out of your mind if you don’t think Cal wanted and would have absolutely taken Langford if he wanted to go there.  

 

And everyone said Duke cheated to get MB, too. The RL situation was no different. Part of the reason Cal didn’t want Romeo was because TL wanted more than a scholarship offer. It’s what everyone knew happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sark said:

And everyone said Duke cheated to get MB, too. The RL situation was no different. Part of the reason Cal didn’t want Romeo was because TL wanted more than a scholarship offer. It’s what everyone knew happened.

giphy.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sark said:

The talent level is no different today in Nebraska than it ever was. That’s more nonsense. It’s leadership. Look how much trouble some IU coaches had recruiting in Indiana. It’s all about leadership.

I’m sorry but if you think Nebraska’s talent now is as good as it was in the 1980s, it’s impossible to have a rational conversation with you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m sorry but if you think Nebraska’s talent now is as good as it was in the 1980s, it’s impossible to have a rational conversation with you. 

The in state talent in Nebraska is no different today than it was then. You’re talking in circles because you made a nonsensical comment about structural issues and you’re deflecting to get out of it. It’s always been a leadership issue. You can’t argue otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You can't prove Tim Langford was telling the truth in that article. 

You can’t prove he didn’t take money. That’s your standard and Scott’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sark said:

And everyone said Duke cheated to get MB, too. The RL situation was no different. Part of the reason Cal didn’t want Romeo was because TL wanted more than a scholarship offer. It’s what everyone knew happened.

Where's your proof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, go_iu_bb said:

Where's your proof?

You guys all claim proof isn’t necessary. TL was paid by Addidas. That’s well known fact. Why are you changing your tune now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sark said:

You guys all claim proof isn’t necessary. TL was paid by Addidas. That’s well known fact. Why are you changing your tune now?

Where did I say no proof is necessary? You're the one telling everyone to back up their claims with proof so of course you have the evidence to back up your own claims, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...