Tennessee Tech Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

You can say it all you want it all you want. Different players same issues.  

We can’t hit 3 pointers or free throws Big Ten teams will be able to use that to beat us.  The fact the 316th ranked team in the country couldn’t isn’t a sign of anything. 

Wow, less than four years in and you expected a well-oiled machine? It’s indisputable that CAM was left with crap, and from all reports not able to clean house from the start. Finally got rid of the dead weight that were poor examples of leaders and couldn’t make decent decisions on the floor. Turnovers are down, defense is at a more than respectable level, and recruiting higher IQ kids. It’s only a matter of time. How long were you planning on giving him? Not even a full recruiting cycle? Not to mention, an unprecedented situation and you’re judging him after one game this year? Were you wanting him to be able to recruit 4 high rated kids every year with ease and win in year two after the mediocrity of the last 25 years?

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

If enough people get upset and vocal a coach gets fired. Or gets on the hot seat and abandons what hasn’t worked for 3+ years. One or the other. 

I'd say give it a rest but this one is on me. I should have known better than to take you off ignore.  You are so relentlessly negative. I'll bet you suck the joy right out of every room you enter.

Assuming you have a wife, she surely has the patience of a saint.  I'm getting suicidal just reading your posts here, so I've read my last one.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

For those of you who would like a good film session, check out Coach Tony Adranga analysis of the TN Tech game.

Glad you posted this. Those stating complaints about the O should watch it - and Adragna is always good with his set analysis. 

Check out the stack 2 (didn’t do this last year) followed by roll replace action. 
Later they ran roll replace action for Hunter, setting up his baby hook shot, perfectly executed, and one for Al. That roll replace action is going to be used to space out the shooters, had a play where Hunter was wide open but Franklin got a good look at at pull up and nailed it - but the play was run in a way that gave IU options including how wide open Hunter was - really well done. That’s the kind of take to take away from this game, not the silly oh dear as a team out 3-point percentage was low, because 2 guys didn’t shoot well. 

I think there was more to be pleased with than displeased with in this game.

I think that we showed that we can be better defensively than last year. This is especially true for two major reasons. First, Last years players have made a step forward in that way, some more than others. Jerome Hunter was completely different defensively than last year. My favorite play of the game is when he dove on the floor to win the ball and started a fast break the other direction that Al Durham dropped off for Armaan Franklin to finish. I thought that Armaan Franklin was by far our best defender on the ball and was active off the ball in ways that made a huge difference. Second, our Freshmen (even in a small sample size) demonstrated great positioning and defensive instincts. The only times that they got turned around defensively were when there were multiple switches happening in a short space of time. Sometimes they didn't communicate the switches well enough. It is true that they struggled a bit staying in front of the ball, but they were pretty much always in the right spot. 

Speaking of the switches, I was very glad to see guard to guard switches on the ball screens, I agree with the film session posted above that we were intending to switch even guard to big under 10 seconds on the shot clock. We were switching guard to guard off the ball as well. I like this quite a bit as I think that it disrupts the design of most actions.

Offensively we will be able to get down hill more often because we have more ball handlers, better finishers, and a higher percentage of our players that have a naturally high motor. Justin Smith was decent in the open court, but only ran hard if he thought he would score off of it. Same as Devonte, and Deron simply couldn't run. To get downhill offensively it requires numbers and I think our roster is willing to run hard from top to bottom this year. This will stretch defenses in transition and will make a huge difference.

I liked the actions that we added in and I think that our ball movement is much better and that we will be able to put more consistent pressure on other teams with more threats on the floor and more reads being made in each action. Even the smallest thing that we saw last night is that TJD has added pick and pop to his reads. I don't know that he ever did that last year. The roll and replace is an essential wrinkle and I'd like to see us run it with Jerome Hunter (or even Race Thompson) starting in the short corner to make the recoveries even longer for the defense.

I will say two things that concern me. I have yet to see an Archie Miller team really buy into the details. Our guards do not slide into the open slot on the floor to make themselves available to the dribble penetrator and off the ball we tend to not be particularly focused with our feet and hands ready to shoot. Our screeners do not usually have the angle right and I don't think we use screens very well. I have thought for three years now that the concepts that Miller is employing are sound and mirror what is run in many of the best programs, but that we do not execute with the necessary energy and attention to detail. I didn't change my mind about that last night. We often have very well designed actions coming out of timeouts and half time but in the flow of the game simply do not do the little things. This may be why the Freshmen class is so essential because they have higher BB IQ than freshmen often have and already utilize these small details to their advantage.

The second thing that concerns me is that I don't think that we will be able to protect the rim very well and the need to rebound will keep us from having our best offensive lineups on the floor. I think that Hunter at the four would be a great offensive lineup, but I'm not sure we will be able to finish off stops at the other end effectively enough to employ that lineup very often.

Lastly, this Freshmen class reminded me of watching some of our great classes in the early 90s. Nobody quite as good as the headliners of those classes, but guys who just know how to play. Leal didn't play that many minutes, but definitely showed that he knows the game. Galloway reminded me of Luke Recker with a more team oriented personality. Lander has a chance to be better than Yogi in the end, but it won't likely happen in Bloomington as he won't spend as many years at IU as Yogi did. Geronimo is a better athlete than nearly anyone we have had in the last two decades and he seemed to have the desire to play within the system and flow of the game in a way that will avoid the growing pains that I associate with guys like Troy Williams.

29 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I think that we showed that we can be better defensively than last year. This is especially true for two major reasons. First, Last years players have made a step forward in that way, some more than others. Jerome Hunter was completely different defensively than last year. My favorite play of the game is when he dove on the floor to win the ball and started a fast break the other direction that Al Durham dropped off for Armaan Franklin to finish. I thought that Armaan Franklin was by far our best defender on the ball and was active off the ball in ways that made a huge difference. Second, our Freshmen (even in a small sample size) demonstrated great positioning and defensive instincts. The only times that they got turned around defensively were when there were multiple switches happening in a short space of time. Sometimes they didn't communicate the switches well enough. It is true that they struggled a bit staying in front of the ball, but they were pretty much always in the right spot. 

Speaking of the switches, I was very glad to see guard to guard switches on the ball screens, I agree with the film session posted above that we were intending to switch even guard to big under 10 seconds on the shot clock. We were switching guard to guard off the ball as well. I like this quite a bit as I think that it disrupts the design of most actions.

Offensively we will be able to get down hill more often because we have more ball handlers, better finishers, and a higher percentage of our players that have a naturally high motor. Justin Smith was decent in the open court, but only ran hard if he thought he would score off of it. Same as Devonte, and Deron simply couldn't run. To get downhill offensively it requires numbers and I think our roster is willing to run hard from top to bottom this year. This will stretch defenses in transition and will make a huge difference.

I liked the actions that we added in and I think that our ball movement is much better and that we will be able to put more consistent pressure on other teams with more threats on the floor and more reads being made in each action. Even the smallest thing that we saw last night is that TJD has added pick and pop to his reads. I don't know that he ever did that last year. The roll and replace is an essential wrinkle and I'd like to see us run it with Jerome Hunter (or even Race Thompson) starting in the short corner to make the recoveries even longer for the defense.

I will say two things that concern me. I have yet to see an Archie Miller team really buy into the details. Our guards do not slide into the open slot on the floor to make themselves available to the dribble penetrator and off the ball we tend to not be particularly focused with our feet and hands ready to shoot. Our screeners do not usually have the angle right and I don't think we use screens very well. I have thought for three years now that the concepts that Miller is employing are sound and mirror what is run in many of the best programs, but that we do not execute with the necessary energy and attention to detail. I didn't change my mind about that last night. We often have very well designed actions coming out of timeouts and half time but in the flow of the game simply do not do the little things. This may be why the Freshmen class is so essential because they have higher BB IQ than freshmen often have and already utilize these small details to their advantage.

The second thing that concerns me is that I don't think that we will be able to protect the rim very well and the need to rebound will keep us from having our best offensive lineups on the floor. I think that Hunter at the four would be a great offensive lineup, but I'm not sure we will be able to finish off stops at the other end effectively enough to employ that lineup very often.

Lastly, this Freshmen class reminded me of watching some of our great classes in the early 90s. Nobody quite as good as the headliners of those classes, but guys who just know how to play. Leal didn't play that many minutes, but definitely showed that he knows the game. Galloway reminded me of Luke Recker with a more team oriented personality. Lander has a chance to be better than Yogi in the end, but it won't likely happen in Bloomington as he won't spend as many years at IU as Yogi did. Geronimo is a better athlete than nearly anyone we have had in the last two decades and he seemed to have the desire to play within the system and flow of the game in a way that will avoid the growing pains that I associate with guys like Troy Williams.

One thing about this group is they have hands to make plays in the open court, which starts with being able to catch the ball on a run.  It makes a big difference.  

Hunter is a stud, not the fastest or best jumper, but an athlete that can play.  Would love to see him as a guard or at the three.  I don't know who would not get time on the court.  I like this team and the kids.  Seems like a talented group of kids that can ball.

We need Brunk and Thompson to be our stength and can't wait to see them against bigger beefier teams.  

15 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

Agree...a lot. Archie said in the interview with Don Fischer that the guards have to make a conscious effort to rebound, and I think Al had like 5 or something like that. But with the bigger lineups in the B10 I'm not sure we can afford to employ what I feel would be our best offensive lineup (TJD, Hunter, Al, Rob, and Kristian) due to the rebounding and, as you pointed out, defense.

I was encouraged by Hunter's defense though. 

16 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

Wait, actual analysis, and recognition of the demonstrated strengths, and weaknesses?

You could’ve just posted we can’t shoot, same as last year. 😄

Archived