It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

4 minutes ago, AshtonHershey said:

The best shots are open and balanced. An open layup should be about 90% (1.8 PPS), an open mid-range jumper should be about 50% (1.0 PPS) and an open three should also be about 50% (1.5 PPS). Basically, you're sacrificing half of a point, minimum, every time you take a mid-range jumper. If you put enough movement into the possession, you should be able to create an open layup or three.

Analytics is killing the game the way it was supposed to be played.  Basketball teams scored well before the analytics came along and the product on the court was better as well.  You can't tell me that the product we see from a lot of teams in college is good.  Calbert Cheaney scored more points in the big ten by hitting a lot of mid range shots so it can be done.  that IU team scored around 85 points a game and now a lot of teams are scoring in the 60's with all of this analytics

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  If you are an administrator needing to hire a basketball coach, and you don't call Brad Stevens, then you have failed at your job.  I don't care if it is IU, Duke, UK, or Montana State.  You ask the man to see what it would take.  If he tells you no, so be it.  But, you have to ask,

So, no, we should not stop talking about Brad Stevens.

Again I said to ask but it won't go any further

For once, I agree with that shady @5fouls character!

Whenever the next coaching search is, you offer as much as you can to Stevens.  As long as it is north of 6 or 7 million.  Don't make an embarrassing offer.  If he says no a few times, you do the same with Wright.  If he says no, you do the same thing with the next best option.  If we end up having to hire a mid major coach, those other offers wouldn't have mattered.

Do we really think Archie would have turned us down if we already offered Stevens, Donovan, Wright, and Bennett?  I highly doubt that.  The mid major coach will always be there.  You have to shoot for the stars first.  The only way it is embarrassing is if you offer a low amount of money.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Again I said to ask but it won't go any further

You don't know that.  5 years ago, you couldn't have got me to move from Southern Indiana.  It's home.  Today?  I'm sick of cold weather and fully expect to be moving to the Southwest when I retire.

4 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I'd like to get a coach from the following 3:

Beard

Drew

Matta

I don't think Stevens would come but IU should make the call.  One sleeper coach for me would be Bobby Hurley.  Wasn't he at Buffalo before Oats.  I like Hurley better. 

Anyway, if IU does pull a trigger, I hope they send out feelers behind the scenes and go after a target.   Texas did that replacing Strong then Herman in football and quickly got their guy.  None of this dump Archie stuff then taking a long time to figure it out. I'd rather keep Archie than strike out in a search then hire someone to just hire someone. 

I would hate Hurley and can't stand him.  He has been just mediocre at Arizona St.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty sure the top programs including ours typically bring in north of 40 mil annually.  They don't pay player salaries, so yes, they actually can and it won't be long before we see these numbers.  

With the country going through a pandemic no way a state institution will pay that much money plus the buyout.  With most stated losing a lot of money there is no way to justify paying a basketball that much.

Just now, IU Scott said:

With the country going through a pandemic no way a state institution will pay that much money plus the buyout.  With most stated losing a lot of money there is no way to justify paying a basketball that much.

The program supports itself.  People calling it state money is semantics, I guess.  I don't know what else to call it.  But the program pays for itself, at least 2 times over annually.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

Says who?  You.

Clemson Tigers (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2010–present)
2010–11 Clemson 22–12 9–7 T–4th NCAA Division I Round of 64
2011–12 Clemson 16–15 8–8 7th  
2012–13 Clemson 13–18 5–13 11th  
2013–14 Clemson 23–13 10–8 6th NIT Semifinal
2014–15 Clemson 16–15 8–10 T–9th  
2015–16 Clemson 17–14 10–8 T–7th  
2016–17 Clemson 17–16 6–12 12th NIT First Round
2017–18 Clemson 25–10 11–7 T–3rd NCAA Division I Sweet 16
2018–19 Clemson 20–14 9–9 T–8th NIT Second Round
2019–20 Clemson 16–15 9–11 9th Postseason not held
2020–21 Clemson 9–1 3-1    
Clemson: 190–143 (.571) 88–94 (.484)

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

So Scott, I'm sure that you have told us, but humor me and tell me who you would hire.  Just curious.  Not slamming you here.  😊

You check with some of the top names but I know they won't come.  I would make a run at Beard at TT and check with Matta and Belien. I would also interview Keith Smart

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah no thanks on Brownell for me too.  Lateral move in my opinion.

Lateral move.  I am sick of hearing that.  Archie was a mid-major coach and he has failed.  Brownell was a mid-major coach and now at Clemson at least he can beat Purdue.

Archived