Indiana HS Football 2021

30 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

It makes more sense to me now why the mods on that board are constantly asking for donations. 

Yes. Literally.. if you think about we pay literal cents to be on this site per hour. 

So worth it to donate. If we all pay $15-20... well worth it. 

Edited by btownqb

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Football kind of had a resurgence not too long ago but it feels like with the exception of a few well run programs that it’s starting to fade again. Is it just Covid the last couple years or is there something more going on? Haven’t heard much about CTE lately so hard to think that.

There were some articles out years ago that little league football was in big trouble.  I know in Kokomo, my buddies have a hard time getting enough kids to field a few teams.  The fall out from CTE was quoted back then as a reason.  I think personally, kids like video games, youtube, and air condition.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

There were some articles out years ago that little league football was in big trouble.  I know in Kokomo, my buddies have a hard time getting enough kids to field a few teams.  The fall out from CTE was quoted back then as a reason.  I think personally, kids like video games, youtube, and air condition.  

Some of it for sure. That's across the board.. as I alluded to earlier.  

10 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I call it the ESPN generation of athletes. Kids want to be on highlight reels, not play offensive line for a team that goes 3-7. 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Some of it for sure. That's across the board.. as I alluded to earlier.  

I'm hopeful....hopeful that when the covid thing is under control and manageable that we see parents and kids who've either been locked down/out because of their local gov't and schools will be eager and anxious to get back to a sense of normalcy, and perhaps even realize how precious these simple rites of passage/cultural customs of years past and really yearn to get back to community and encouraging their kids to play sports and take up these extracurriculars. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I'm hopeful....hopeful that when the covid thing is under control and manageable that we see parents and kids who've either been locked down/out because of their local gov't and schools will be eager and anxious to get back to a sense of normalcy, and perhaps even realize how precious these simple rites of passage/cultural customs of years past and really yearn to get back to community and encouraging their kids to play sports and take up these extracurriculars. 

But it's past being "locked down" .... it's literally choosing to just stay at home. Covid is just the catalyst that drove some to that point. Doing "nothing" is their security blanket. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But it's past being "locked down" .... it's literally choosing to just stay at home. Covid is just the catalyst that drove some to that point. Doing "nothing" is their security blanket. 

I get that...there are lots of states in the country where the schools etc are still locked down though...so I'm assuming some may not have the option. I know many choose it to do it to themselves. Just hoping that there will be a resurgance of healthy community/cultural activities when things change. Obesity and low levels of vitamin D (and the health affects caused by this) are one of the main reasons this virus is so deadly etc so you would think that getting your families out and active and getting exercise and sunshine would be a good thing. I'm sure there are some benefits to some video games/educational programming on tv (ha!) but possibly after being locked up and having these simple joys of life taken away for so long...many might get excited to get them back. It isn't even just the players but the bands, cheerleaders, the kids socializing in public outside of digitally.

I'm not even going into the social and political discourse of how the loss of community unity (funny how those words work together) and pride has fractured and hurt us. Just getting back to having common interest and love for one's town/school/perhaps can heal some and bring people together for a common good and perhaps cause people to treat one another more generously and compassion. Who knows...maybe even to help heal and realize that we have more in common with our neighbor then with whatever social group the tv/politicians are trying to group us into. Maybe even start to rebuild our love/pride for our country again....I just think that has to start in our communities/churches/schools...it isn't going to happen on social media/internet/or state house/DC. I know...I know...I'll stop there...sorry if this took a slant. Bringing in full circle I just think it is things like football, little league, the scouts, summer camps, and especially in Indiana (basketball) and such that are so important in building strong/healthy young people and strong and healthy communities. I don't think it is any coincidence that we see our schools and sports suffer at the same time we are all suffering such strong social divisions.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I call it the ESPN generation of athletes. Kids want to be on highlight reels, not play offensive line for a team that goes 3-7. 

True story.  I quit football after 4 practices in 6th grade.  I just happened to be the fastest kid on the team but hit puberty before most so I was 'big'.  If you are thinking they made me play line with the fat kids, you'd be correct.   Haha.  As a full grown adult I'm 5'10" 190.  I ran track and cross country 4 years in high school.    Maybe I wasn't mentally tough enough but at the time it felt like the dumbest sh** I've ever been forced to do.  I wasn't even mad, i just said this is stupid.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

True story.  I quit football after 4 practices in 6th grade.  I just happened to be the fastest kid on the team but hit puberty before most so I was 'big'.  If you are thinking they made me play line with the fat kids, you'd be correct.   Haha.  As a full grown adult I'm 5'10" 190.  I ran track and cross country 4 years in high school.    Maybe I wasn't mentally tough enough but at the time it felt like the dumbest sh** I've ever been forced to do.  I wasn't even mad, i just said this is stupid.  

I always had people pressuring me to play football because I was "big" (not wide, just really tall for my age). I was a wimp and had no interest in tackling people or getting tackled. Plus, my high school's football program was a joke and I wanted no part of that mess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I always had people pressuring me to play football because I was "big" (not wide, just really tall for my age). I was a wimp and had no interest in tackling people or getting tackled. Plus, my high school's football program was a joke and I wanted no part of that mess. 

Is my memory bad?  I thought Bluffton was damn good in the early 80's?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Is my memory bad?  I thought Bluffton was damn good in the early 80's?

10-1 in 1982...only winning season in a span of about 13 years. And that was way before my time, lol. Bluffton was averaging a new coach about every two seasons when I was growing up. The current coach is the first one since the early 80's to last more than four years. 

The program is worlds better now, but still trying to figure out how to not get embarrassed by traditionally strong teams. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

10-1 in 1982...only winning season in a span of about 13 years. And that was way before my time, lol. Bluffton was averaging a new coach about every two seasons when I was growing up. The current coach is the first one since the early 80's to last more than four years. 

The program is worlds better now, but still trying to figure out how to not get embarrassed by traditionally strong teams. 

What was the score against Whitko in '82?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

The weight room changes that for so many kids now. I did not enjoy contact in 5th and 6th grade... it wasn't until I was probably a SO that I loved it. I don't believe you have to love contact to play football. 

Just stating general observations from coaching. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The weight room changes that for so many kids now. I did not enjoy contact in 5th and 6th grade... it wasn't until I was probably a SO that I loved it. I don't believe you have to love contact to play football. 

Just stating general observations from coaching. 

Barry Sanders didn't look like he loved contact...and my oh my was he a great player. Probably say that about Peyton Manning and some others. (why they got good at the decision/brain part of the game and execution) to avoid getting hit. I'd say you can't be afraid of contact though. Honestly, if you are afraid to get hit/contact you probably have no business being out there or you will likely get hurt. (I'm sure you attest to it)

I played little league football growing up until Junior High School....but I fell behind physically (I was youngest in my class with an early summer birth day). I didn't hit puberty until I was like 16 and then grew like 6 inches my junior and senior years (and two more in college). I'm 6'2 and filled out pretty good now but was always the smallest in grade school etc. I'd have to say I was afraid to play football against juniors and seniors (as we typically had 20-30 kids on the football team at most so we even had 8th graders playing sometimes against teams with mostly seniors). I was scared of that. Then between my junior and senior year my best friend went out for the team and I was going to be left running cross country alone basically...(and we had some injuries on the football team) so I ended up starting TE. I was big enough and athletic enough by then to hold my own (but still a stick). Funny enough but they let me play rb against the starting defense early on in practice....and once I'd taken a couple hits and realized...hey this aint so bad...I had a blast....and even had fun cracking much bigger LBs when I started playing TE in games. Sometimes just getting out there and getting that first few good cracks makes you wake up and realize this ain't going to hurt me. 

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Silver Creek's game Friday against Salem was cancelled yesterday afternoon.  SC was able to schedule South Oldham in Kentucky before the afternoon was over.  I assume they must have had same issue. There are going to be schools all around with the problem, so substitute opponents should be readily available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Silver Creek's game Friday against Salem was cancelled yesterday afternoon.  SC was able to schedule South Oldham in Kentucky before the afternoon was over.  I assume they must have had same issue. There are going to be schools all around with the problem, so substitute opponents should be readily available.

We are kicking around the idea of Southport if Salem can't go Week 4.