MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

People say this all the time.  I get that McRobbie may not give a hoot.  But, I would have to think that the majority of people in the administration understand how important it is.  

I agree I never thought that they don't care and one of the guys on the BOT is Quinn Buckner.  I think Quinn probably cares about having a great basketball program.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

What you say is correct, but the "buck" has to stop somewhere however fair that is.  

I still see no decision on CAM's future being made for 13 months. At this point I don't think he's acquitted/proven himself, but we don't make the decision or determine when one will be made.

Yep, and I completely agree that this is on him. However, I'm seeing a team that is doing a lot of things well, but is severely lacking in leadership/production out of their upperclassmen guards. It's on CAM that his only other valid option is a kid who should be in high school right now, too, but let's face it, this team would easily be in the tournament with consistent play from Al and Rob. 

I'd also like to see what CAM can do with this team next year before making a decision, too. 

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Yeah, frankly, they should be fired if they're ignoring a pretty good cash cow. I don't know what the actual numbers are, but I'd wager that basketball runs heavy in the black, and then you add in some pretty big donors like Cuban who also follow the program. 

Exactly. It’s money but it’s also the potential for donations and rising student applications.  

I was in Bloomington in our heyday over a seven year period in the late 80s to early 90s.  My freshman year, we had guys on our dorm floor from out of state (New Jersey, California, Illinois etc)  who told me that basketball pointed them toward IU.  They looked into academic programs and liked the school.  It’s not that you go to IU from New Jersey because of basketball. It’s that you then look into the business school or music school or whatever, and you’re in.  We had guys from NYC and they were saying the kids from their high school spilled into Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Virginia etc because they didn’t have the big state school atmosphere in a college town nearby.  Basketball advertises for the academic programs and the school as a whole.  

Same thing with donations.  You start going to final fours and people connect with the school and are more apt to get the checkbook out.  

29 minutes ago, HoosierBrit64 said:

Looked like a good time to make my first post. It is absolutely impossible to win in this league when your starting backcourt of upperclassmen completely disappear. I’m all for junior/senior leadership, but Archie can get more out of Cooper Bybee than either Phin or Al gave this team. And it isn’t just on the offensive end. They stop no one defensively. If you look at our losses, every one other than OSU and Texas is on that combination in the backcourt.

AGREE.  great comments

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just had lost a quad 3 loss at home so we will not be in the tournament.  This is the need of year 4 and see no improvement so it is time for him to be replaced.  If you can't win this game at home against a team that is 4-9 and we had a big lead early.  MSU lost by 30 last week to a team we have beaten twice.  They also only put up 37 points in a game against Rutgers but scored 52 in the second half today.

100% agree with you.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly. It’s money but it’s also the potential for donations and rising student applications.  

I was in Bloomington in our heyday over a seven year period in the late 80s to early 90s.  My freshman year, we had guys on our dorm floor from out of state (New Jersey, California, Illinois etc)  who told me that basketball pointed them toward IU.  They looked into academic programs and liked the school.  It’s not that you go to IU from New Jersey because of basketball. It’s that you then look into the business school or music school or whatever, and you’re in.  We had guys from NYC and they were saying the kids from their high school spilled into Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Virginia etc because they didn’t have the big state school atmosphere in a college town nearby.  Basketball eventually advertises for the academia.  

Indeed, and to reverse that, when I moved to the East Coast after graduating and when I mentioned I went to IU, people would almost always ask me about RMK or the basketball program. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Also another mistake by Archie is taking Anderson and Hunter of Aaron Henry.  Talking to Aaron's dad Archie stopped calling once we got those two commits and that was a terrible decision.

No doubt. But it might have been a first come, first served problem.  The problem is Henry was really blowing up at the end and I heard buzz he liked IU.  He was a bit of a late bloomer.  You’d know better than me because of your connection to the dad, but everything I read at the time was we had a good shot at Henry.  He may had sour grapes later and stories change. 

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

No doubt. But it might have been a first come, first served problem.  The problem is Henry was really blowing up at the end and I heard buzz he liked IU.  He was a bit of a late bloomer.  You’d know better than me because of your connection to the dad, but everything I read at the time was we had a good shot at Henry.  He may had sour grapes later and stories change. 

I asked his dad about that because it was rumored he was about to commit.  His dad said that was never the case at all.

25 minutes ago, Let said:

First half we were going pretty good! Then he brings in the second string. All momentum is lost. Lander is just NOT READY!!! He must have set some kind of record for air balls! He is talented but not ready, I doubt if he will ever be a shooter. Al makes SO MANY terrible passes. Please, God let us recruit some shooters! If Archie can't find better shooters he SHOULD be run out of town on a rail!!! I feel sorry for Jackson Davis, he gets NO HELP!!!

how is a guy rated 5 star and cannot shoot?

Besides Lander none of our guards were ranked in the top 100.  I know ratings don't always tell the story but for the most part when your guards are ranked around 100-125 you won't get a consistent contributor.  I know I don't want a lot of one and done players.  We need to have more talented guards who can compete at a high level in every game.  AL and RP just isn't consistent and we know it won't change.

I want a coach who will bring back the Indiana style of basketball.  That is smart and heady players with high basketball IQ's.  I want players who can make their teammates better and show leadership.  Most importantly they need to bring in guys who can shoot the ball from all positions.  Even our big guys shooting percentage is not great from 2 since most of those misses are from 5 feet.

30 minutes ago, Let said:

First half we were going pretty good! Then he brings in the second string. All momentum is lost. Lander is just NOT READY!!! He must have set some kind of record for air balls! He is talented but not ready, I doubt if he will ever be a shooter. Al makes SO MANY terrible passes. Please, God let us recruit some shooters! If Archie can't find better shooters he SHOULD be run out of town on a rail!!! I feel sorry for Jackson Davis, he gets NO HELP!!!

could a coach or an asst coach tell these guys that SOFT lob passes are more likely to be stolen or blocked PLEASE.

Archived