MSU Post Game

Hoosierfan1901

14 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

People who are sure as heck that we're missing the tournament are smoking something, IMO.  I'm not ready to guarantee we'll make it, but we're a lot closer to making it than missing it.

As I said earlier, making the tournament is largely irrelevant.  It does not change who we are, which is a middle of the pack Big Ten conference team.  That's not good enough for IU.  We should expect, if not demand more.

That said, we have a tough stretch of games coming up.  A win in any of them would be considered an upset.  This was a very, very, important game for our tournament chances.  And we did not play like we were deserving.

Can we still make it?  Sure.  Will we make it?  With the upcoming schedule, the odds are against us,.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think anyone would say that is the goal for the program; but for this season, at this point in it, I think we'd all like to see us finish well enough to make the tournament and see what an Archie coached team can do in the tournament. 

Think I've seen enough of what a CAM coached team can do...

It aint good....

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I still think we will be favored in East Lansing, or at least would be if you were making a line today, but I understand your point.

On the flip side, do you really think we will get swept by three teams that are relatively even to us to close out the season? I just don't see that happening, but I could be wrong. 

right, good question.  i wouldn't bet that we'll lose all 3 of those games, but our success against Purdouche hasn't been so good.  i'd predict a loss there.  i still think Rutgers is very talented.  if they're playing right, i don't se that road win.  awful hard to say we'll win at Mich.  then again, i would have bet we'd lose at Iowa for sure.  it's impossible for any of us to call, but i just don't think we'll win 2 or 3 of those and/or do well enough in the BTT to get in.  i hope i'm wrong, and if we do, i can get onboard with at least we made it in and that we could be better next year if TJD comes back.  i'm just very skeptical of all that.   

There is nothing I can point to today that Archie did wrong coaching wise...this game came down jimmy and joes not Xs and Os. Michigan St big recruits showed up when they haven’t all year....and Henry (who I think we all agree wish we recruited instead of Anderson) stuck it to us. We saw today the why recruiting in and around the 200s will get you...inconsistent players. We thought our backcourt was finally going to break out after last game and instead they regressed back. It’s exhausting...

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is nothing I can point to today that Archie did wrong coaching wise...this game came down jimmy and joes not Xs and Os. Michigan St big recruits showed up when they haven’t all year....and Henry (who I think we all agree wish we recruited instead of Anderson) stuck it to us. We saw today the why recruiting in and around the 200s will get you...inconsistent players. We thought our backcourt was finally going to break out after last game and instead they regressed back. It’s exhausting...

When your Jimmy and joes consistently don’t perform it’s a problem with leadership.  

So now the goalposts are moving?

"Make the Dance" they say...ok, pretty much consensus that last year we were in...and if we play like we can, we'll be in this year...

But, and I can't stress this enough, we play 3 upper classmen, which is the least of any B1G team's rotation, in the toughest conference in America...

Couple that with the fact that our bench consists of Jerome and 4 freshmen, it's no wonder we're where we are in the standings...

The inconsistency I lay at the feet of our 2 upper class guards...we go as they go, unfortunately...

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As I said earlier, making the tournament is largely irrelevant.  It does not change who we are, which is a middle of the pack Big Ten conference team.  That's not good enough for IU.  We should expect, if not demand more.

That said, we have a tough stretch of games coming up.  A win in any of them would be considered an upset.  This was a very, very, important game for our tournament chances.  And we did not play like we were deserving.

Can we still make it?  Sure.  Will we make it?  With the upcoming schedule, the odds are against us,.

I totally agree with you about this not being good enough for IU.  Last week though we were told not to look at our past and move on so my thinking if that is the case why should our expectations be more than what we have gotten the last 20 years.  The reason for the expectations are the long history and the past but we should not live in the past.  So if we jus tlook at the resent past our expectations shouldn't be championships.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So now the goalposts are moving?

"Make the Dance" they say...ok, pretty much consensus that last year we were in...and if we play like we can, we'll be in this year...

But, and I can't stress this enough, we play 3 upper classmen, which is the least of any B1G team's rotation, in the toughest conference in America...

Couple that with the fact that our bench consists of Jerome and 4 freshmen, it's no wonder we're where we are in the standings...

The inconsistency I lay at the feet of our 2 upper class guards...we go as they go, unfortunately...

It’s year 4. These are Archies guys. His lack of contributing players is his fault. And don’t say our problem is lack of upperclassmen when 2 of our best players are under classmen. 

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I blame Archie  for ruining momentum with his constant subbing.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It’s year 4. These are Archies guys. His lack of contributing players is his fault. And don’t say our problem is lack of upperclassmen when 2 of our best players are under classmen. 

You obviously missed my post on experience in the B1G and its relevance to the standings...

Experience wins in our league...and right now, we're playing the least upper classmen of and B1G team...

Just now, IUFLA said:

You obviously missed my post on experience in the B1G and its relevance to the standings...

Experience wind in our league...and right now, we're playing the least upper classmen of and B1G team...

And that’s on Archie.  Besides his player development sucks so much you can hardly tell the difference between a senior and a freshmen.  

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

And that’s on Archie.  Besides his player development sucks so much you can hardly tell the difference between a senior and a freshmen.  

So Armaan hadn't improved measurably? Trayce? Race?

You're missing the point. Next year we'll be the ones with experience...and Archie will be the coach no matter how many empty wagons make noise...

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

But that's the thing, he has shown he can bring in good guys. Our freshman and sophomore classes are great. The junior class got derailed by injuries and an early NBA departure. The senior class isn't his. 

Could he have done things differently? Absolutely, but hindsight is 20/20

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Experience wins in our league...and right now, we're playing the least upper classmen of and B1G team...

Well we have had like 4 guys who should be upper classman transfer and Archie could have brought in some transfers who were upperclassman

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Someone probably already mentioned this.  But, there was a possession at the end of the game, we're down 7 or 9, less than a minute left, and we walk the ball up and run our offense.  No sense of urgency whatsoever.  What was that?

I was screaming at that play

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You're missing the point. Next year we'll be the ones with experience...and Archie will be the coach no matter how many empty wagons make noise...

3 guys out of 11. Isn’t good. Will we have experience next year?

Trayce is leaving, him and Armaan are the only second year players. Rob will be a senior but he plays like a freshmen as a junior so not much help there  

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes those guys have improved but the team has not improved.  Also guys like RP and AL and some what Hunter has not improved.  Those guys are in inconsistent and can't be relied on every game.  You can't win in this league when you only can rely on 3 players every game.  It is one thing to have individual improvement but does it lead to having team success and at this time it hasn't.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

And you guys who're wanting Archie's scalp need to get your stories straight. Half of you beeyotch about subbing patterns, and you in particular gripe about leaving them out there til they're floppy legged, yet another faction says play the freshmen more minutes. 

The stories are straight.
To be fair...people were sometimes asking for freshman to play more when the starters were beginning games by making 1 basket in 7 minutes, 2 baskets in the first 10 minutes, giving up 19-3 runs, etc., etc. Asking for freshman to play more when the starters suck does not contradict letting players “on a roll” to keep playing.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But that's the thing, he has shown he can bring in good guys. Our freshman and sophomore classes are great. The junior class got derailed by injuries and an early NBA departure. The senior class isn't his. 

Doing nothing to adjust is not hindsight.  You can’t just give up on two years because a wasted recruiting class.  

Quit blaming Crean. He has 1 Crean player and he chooses to play him. He could have recruited over Al. He chose not to

I think it’s best that IU cuts ties with a few players next year. I doubt it will happen. But.... It needs to happen. One would think that you would rather risk your job security on transfers over something you have now that’s not working. But... I think next year I see the same players being trotted out. In that case good luck. May the odds be in your favor. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How do you know the freshman will turn out great.  I hope they are but I have not seen anything this year that guarantees they will be great.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well we have had like 4 guys who should be upper classman transfer and Archie could have brought in some transfers who were upperclassman

Yes, the ones who transferred were looking for more playing time... particularly Jake and Clifton...

And didn't he bring in Joey Brunk?

I personally think Joey's injury alone has changed this season quite a bit. If we have him, we CAN play 2 bigs and Jerome together. The way it is now, we can't because Jerome is our only front court depth beside a 6'6 freshman...

Archived