How would you fix it?

KoB2011

i would like to see our guards never stop moving.  They should constantly be running cross court, curl screens or stop and go along the baseline.  Use screen after screen to get open.  Attack the back door.  Use the pick and pop.  Use the screen and roll.  Go to the bucket.  Stop running an offense of guys standing around waiting for the ball.   GET YOURSELF OPEN.  And for the love of god and all that is holy.  If you're open, shoot the ball.  I don't care if its been 4 seconds or 24 seconds into the shot clock.  Shoot if you're open.

I would like to see us bring our some 3/4 to full court defense for stretched to harass a team and upset their tempo.  And for the love of god, if i see one more IU player joback on defense while looking around i will scream.  If your starters are jogging, then jog them right to the bench for 5 minutes.

Effort will fix a ton of perception problems with this team.  If they look like they care and are trying their hardest at all times, i think the fan will give them and CAM more leeway to the fact that we're not very good.  But at least we give 100%.   Crean's first few years are examples of lack of talent but not drive and effort.

At this point, i would rather lose out with players who want to be in the court and walk away having given 100%.  I can't say that is the case for most of our games.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

- Get Phinisee some early, easy shots at the rim to get his confidence going. As others have said, IU will go as Phinisee goes. Lander is miles and miles away from being ready. 

- Put the ball in Franklins hands once we get into the offense. Stop putting him in the corner while Phinisee and Durham run the action. Run the offense through Franklin and TJD. 

- Continuously run Al off of pin down screens where he can get that curl action going. He shouldn't be initiating the offense

- Push the pace in transition and off live ball changes of possession. We initiate offense much to slow

- Get Hunter more playing time on the wing to go along with his time at the 4

- Choose between Galloway and Leal. I'd probably pick Leal just for his shooting. But give one of them 10-12 minutes instead of one of them 8 and the other 4. 

- Finally, pull an Izzo and tell the guys the next month is their chance to audition for next year. The bottom line is IU doesn't have the guard/wing talent to compete at a high level (keyword high. We have middle of the pack talent, not Big Ten Title talent). Those positions need to be upgraded in the transfer market.

Congratulations, you’re now the coach. 

Been saying all year Hunter shou;d start at the 3.  Don't know that fixes anything but Al can bring his leadership minutes off the bench and much needed closing games when ahead. I feel IU is undersized and playing the 3 guard lineup makes it even worse. Hunter just seems to one of the better players on the team especially at forward on the wing and IMO, he has had to adjust more than others.   He missed a year then it took all of last year before he looked comfortable.  He is probably a 3 and with Brunk being out, he used more as big behind (T)Race. 

7 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Been saying all year Hunter shou;d start at the 3.  Don't know that fixes anything but Al can bring his leadership minutes off the bench and much needed closing games when ahead. I feel IU is undersized and playing the 3 guard lineup makes it even worse. Hunter just seems to one of the better players on the team especially at forward on the wing and IMO, he has had to adjust more than others.   He missed a year then it took all of last year before he looked comfortable.  He is probably a 3 and with Brunk being out, he used more as big behind (T)Race. 

hi.  not a big Hunter fan here, but i will say i can understand this mindset.  he may be a defensive liability, but at this point, i think most can agree that we aren't losing many games on the defensive end.  we need to put the ball in the basket.  is he one of the 5 best at putting the ball in the basket?  i would say so.  

One of the things I don't like about our offense is the spacing. For some reason whenever Trayce posts up or we try and do a pick and roll there's always another big man on the opposite block and it messes up the whole spacing. It has to be by design since it happens so often but it doesn't make much sense to me. I was watching the OSU-Michigan game and it really stuck out to me how different they run their PNR or post ups then us. For both of them its four guys around one big man and there was so much more space to work with in the paint. Our offense naturally brings the help defense since that big man is on the other block leading to a lot of contested layups. None of our guards ever get easy layups in the offense and I think one of the reasons is because our spacing isn't great. I'd play Hunter more at the 4 and tell him to spot up on the perimeter for a drive and kick on PNR or off Trayce post ups so there's less congestion in the paint. 

Archived