Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

No one knows what Stevens' mindset is right now. Four years ago he was in a very different place with the Celtics than he is today. It's entirely possible that the opportunity to return home would be much more attractive now than it was in 2017. It's also entirely possible that he really would prefer to stay in the NBA, even if he gets let go by Boston. Outside of those in his inner circle, no one has any clue what he's currently thinking.

Of course, at the end of the day, the odds are he won't be the next coach at IU. But as others have noted, if there was ever any chance of it happening, the stars do currently seem to be aligning to make it happen.

You'd probably have to offer him a lifetime contract similar to what Cal has to get his interest.   Same for Tony Bennett.  Not impossible just unlikely given our highly incompetent administration. 

Just now, BADGERVOL said:

Why? Unpack your reasoning. Need me some knowledge 💣 ‘s

He was put in a bad spot in Nebraska...pretty much the same thing Crean faced here...

But he had a .673 winning percentage at Iowa State...and they aren't a traditional power house...

The guy can coach...

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

You'd probably have to offer him a lifetime contract similar to what Cal has to get his interest.   Same for Tony Bennett.  Not impossible just unlikely given our highly incompetent administration. 

You mean that incompetent administration where women's team is in the top 10, a football team that will be in the top 10 and have a top 20 baseball program.  Also they have one of the top soccer programs in the country.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You mean that incompetent administration where women's team is in the top 10, a football team that will be in the top 10 and have a top 20 baseball program.  Also they have one of the top soccer programs in the country.

No one cares about those sports here.

A coach saying no to us 4 years ago means absolutely nothing today. That goes for Stevens, Bennett, and any others who said no back then. 

So much has changed in four years that we do know, let alone thing we have no way of knowing that could have changed. You go ask those guys again. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I see him going back to Iowa St. If they have an opening.  You want a guy who has won like 3 conference games in two years

So you know more about coaching than Steve Kerr? Is that what you're saying? 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You want a guy who has won like 3 conference games in two years

Aren't you insinuating that Hoiberg isn't a good coach here?

Your words...

And I cited an article where Kerr said he'd stolen a lot of Fred's offensive sets and that he was a great coach...

So who am I to believe? You or Steve Kerr?

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Aren't you insinuating that Hoiberg isn't a good coach here?

Your words...

And I cited an article where Kerr said he'd stolen a lot of Fred's offensive sets and that he was a great coach...

So who am I to believe? You or Steve Kerr?

LOL!  Never said he was a bad coach but his NBA winning% is .42 but you make fun of Keith Smart and his percentage is .35.  Nether one is good so why would you want one and not the other.  Hoiberg college winning percentage is .568 and got passed the sweet 16 once.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

LOL!  Never said he was a bad coach but his NBA winning% is .42 but you make fun of Keith Smart and his percentage is .35.  Nether one is good so why would you want one and not the other.  Hoiberg college winning percentage is .568 and got passed the sweet 16 once.

Again, you're acting like you know more than a highly respected NBA coach...which is pretty funny if you ask me...

I was watching Oregon and yet again they have a really good record.  I know the Pac 10 is not a great but he has been very successful.  His overall winning percentage is .67 and at Oregon it is .72 so he would be a good hire.  The only thing I found on him that would lead me against him was from 2014 where he had 3 players accused of rape so that would be hard to explain.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You want a guy who has won like 3 conference games in two years

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said he was a bad coach but his NBA winning% is .42 but you make fun of Keith Smart and his percentage is .35.  Nether one is good so why would you want one and not the other.  Hoiberg college winning percentage is .568 and got passed the sweet 16 once.

Then what are you saying here? Are you agreeing with Kerr in saying that he's a great coach?

Funny way of putting it I guess...

Then what are you saying here? Are you agreeing with Kerr in saying that he's a great coach?

image.jpeg.7525494b8b2b1c40a7cd1f0c55203568.jpeg

You are right he is the best coach in the history of the sport and let's sign him right away

He is stating facts that’s it.... when anyone disagrees with you it’s impossible. You are one of those people that will never admit they are wrong and treat people horribly in the process. If you don’t agree with him fine but the way you act on this board is frustrating and annoying. Yes I could just not respond but that’s not how I am. This board is an outlet for many and the way you act affects that and I guarantee I’m not the only one who feels this way. Can’t you just for once have a decent debate with someone. 

2 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

He is stating facts that’s it.... when anyone disagrees with you it’s impossible. You are one of those people that will never admit they are wrong and treat people horribly in the process. If you don’t agree with him fine but the way you act on this board is frustrating and annoying. Yes I could just not respond but that’s not how I am. This board is an outlet for many and the way you act affects that and I guarantee I’m not the only one who feels this way. Can’t you just for once have a decent debate with someone. 

He rips on some peoples suggestion on a new hire but if you question one of his selections he can't take it.

5 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

One thing I learned REALLY fast is that I had to block both Scott & IUFLA. The board has been exceptionally more pleasant. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He rips on some peoples suggestion on a new hire but if you question one of his selections he can't take it.

And it’s not even just in this topic. Look at every debate he’s ever in. The way he treats people I can’t believe he is a boss over people and feel sorry for those who work for him.

1 minute ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

One thing I learned REALLY fast is that I had to block both Scott & IUFLA. The board has been exceptionally more pleasant. 

I try to give people multiple chances because we are human and IU basketball brings out passion and emotion and I’ve been pro cam like him and I’ve never blocked one person on here ever but it’s getting very close.

23 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Wait a minute...How's he stating fact?

I said Fred Hoiberg would be a good hire IF we decide to go that route. He had Iowa State, the Big 12's version of Northwestern, making the NCAA tournament 4 out of his 5 years there, and winning 2 conference tournament championships. Anyone who knows anything about coaching will tell you he's a great coach. I cited one (Kerr) but I'll dig up more if you want...

17 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

And it’s not even just in this topic. Look at every debate he’s ever in. The way he treats people I can’t believe he is a boss over people and feel sorry for those who work for him.

Ah, the good old personal attack...

No need to feel sorry...they're all quite happy...

Archived