Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I totally see where you’re coming from and you probably aren’t wrong I’m just saying I’m tired of everyone always just blaming Archie instead of blaming our team as a whole. I also coach basketball I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to repeat things as a coach and the kids don’t get it or just don’t give a crap. Yes I know them they should be benched. Archie is still trying to win and none of us see what he or the coaching staff sees or experiences behind the scenes and in practice.

I don’t agree with this 100%. 

First, as a high school coach you are playing with the hand you’ve been dealt (at least I’m assuming). Your pool of capable players is only so big; you can’t essentially pick the players that fit your culture.

Also, one thing I’ve learned as a coach (although not nearly at CAM’s level, but it applies to all) is that a coach is a teacher, a trainer, a psychologist, a salesman and a guardian. When a coach says one of those descriptions listed above is not his/her ‘job’ is when they lose their kids. We all deal with mistakes (hundreds a day would be an underestimation), but if the athletes don’t give a crap then that’s on the coach. The most important challenge of a coach is to (hate to use this word, but I mean it in a good way) manipulate the kid into buying into the system, buying into the culture, buying into you and most importantly buying into themselves. The bench is a motivator, but if it’s the main and most used tool for accountability then there’s a bigger systemic problem. I’m sure you know this very well, but it’s to broaden the discussion and defeat the general perception about the bench; it’s an oversimplification of a solution. 

Sure, athletes and coaches share in the responsibility and there are always one or two kids who don’t mesh, but when multiple players don’t seem to be able to comprehend and implement what CAM wants; it’s his job to teach it to the them better. Plain and simple. This is year 4 of pretty much the same problems. 

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t agree with this 100%. 

First, as a high school coach you are playing with the hand you’ve been dealt (at least I’m assuming). Your pool of capable players is only so big; you can’t essentially pick the players that fit your culture.

Also, one thing I’ve learned as a coach (although not nearly at CAM’s level, but it applies to all) is that a coach is a teacher, a trainer, a psychologist, a salesman and a guardian. When a coach says one of those descriptions listed above is not his/her ‘job’ is when they lose their kids. We all deal with mistakes (hundreds a day would be an underestimation), but if the athletes don’t give a crap then that’s on the coach. The most important challenge of a coach is to (hate to use this word, but I mean it in a good way) manipulate the kid into buying into the system, buying into the culture, buying into you and most importantly buying into themselves. The bench is a motivator, but if it’s the main and most used tool for accountability then there’s a bigger systemic problem. I’m sure you know this very well, but it’s to broaden the discussion and defeat the general perception about the bench; it’s an oversimplification of a solution. 

Sure, athletes and coaches share in the responsibility and there are always one or two kids who don’t mesh, but when multiple players don’t seem to be able to comprehend and implement what CAM wants; it’s his job to teach it to the them better. Plain and simple. This is year 4 of pretty much the same problems. 

You make some really good points and I can appreciate what you’re saying.

If we can’t get one of those top candidates Mark Pope at BYU looks really interesting. Won a title in college and even played for the Pacers in the NBA. Only two years at BYU but he had a top 15 team last year and has another top 30 team this year after losing 6 players from last year’s team. His teams play a really fun style. He’s shown the ability to adapt his team’s play based on what personnel they have. He’s had a lot of success in the transfer market which is appealing. Top 10 kenpom offense last year and he has a top 25 kenpom offense and defense this year. I’ve read that he’s someone Arizona could be looking at if they fire Sean. 

16 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

If we can’t get one of those top candidates Mark Pope at BYU looks really interesting. Won a title in college and even played for the Pacers in the NBA. Only two years at BYU but he had a top 15 team last year and has another top 30 team this year after losing 6 players from last year’s team. His teams play a really fun style. He’s shown the ability to adapt his team’s play based on what personnel they have. He’s had a lot of success in the transfer market which is appealing. Top 10 kenpom offense last year and he has a top 25 kenpom offense and defense this year. I’ve read that he’s someone Arizona could be looking at if they fire Sean. 

He took over a solid program, but has taken them to new heights. Personally, I would never hire an fUK alum to coach IU but that's just me.

Would like to see if Lawrence Frank has any interest, should at least get a call.  East coach ties, IU grad, NBA and college experience.  

As coach:
19921994 Marquette (assistant)
19941997 Tennessee (assistant)
19972000 Vancouver Grizzlies (assistant)
20002004 New Jersey Nets (assistant)
20042010 New Jersey Nets
2010–2011 Boston Celtics (assistant)
20112013 Detroit Pistons
2013 Brooklyn Nets (assistant)
20142016 Los Angeles Clippers (assistant)

20 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Lawrence Frank is the president of basketball operations for the Clippers. I honestly think coaching at IU would be a downgrade for him at this point. 

Yes, and an office job is much better than being on the recruiting trail for a healthy life style.  However, it could of been a dream while a student working for coach.  And, the challenge to bring IU back might be an interest.  Got to give it a phone call, at the least.  

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Take Stevens out of the talk. Boston with the 3 year extension today.

Yeah, and the Celtics could fire him by the end of the season as well.  LOL

But seriously, that just reinforces that Brad is happy in Beantown.

Get Beilein for 6 years to get things stabilized and moving in the right direction.  Before we can think competing  for championships we need to get back to where we are making the tournament every year.  We need to start finishing in the top 5 every year in the big ten and once we get their then think about making deep runs in the tournament.  I think by year 3 Beilein would have us competing for conference champsionships

Archived