NCAA Tournament!

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Just a fugly, uninspired effort.

No interest in Self.  he's got a lot of 'splaining to do.  For me, he's a notch or two above Will Wade in candidate desirability.

Aw shucks...Dollar Bill just picking up where Ole Roy left off...

I saw a few other post this but Kansas was probably sitting there at halftime wishing they chose the Auburn route and self imposed a 1 year ban this year. 

I haven't read the last few pages but does anyone think having all the teams from Big 10 stay in Indy since BTT had any impact? I mean with Maryland for example they've been in town for what just under 2 weeks already? Besides the normal stuff i.e. just poor play....I'm trying to find a reason that every single Big 10 team looked this bad. 1 sure....2 fine but 7-8 teams played well below normal play. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I saw a few other post this but Kansas was probably sitting there at halftime wishing they chose the Auburn route and self imposed a 1 year ban this year. 

I haven't read the last few pages but does anyone think having all the teams from Big 10 stay in Indy since BTT had any impact? I mean with Maryland for example they've been in town for what just under 2 weeks already? Besides the normal stuff i.e. just poor play....I'm trying to find a reason that every single Big 10 team looked this bad. 1 sure....2 fine but 7-8 teams played well below normal play. 

Absolutely.  The B1G teams have been stuck in hotels for 2 weeks.  

To go along with the meat grinding fist fight every single night in the conference.  

I've started to question the 20 game schedule.  At first the conference claimed it was getting more teams in and more prepared.  Well maybe it's actually too hard.  13 of the B1G teams were in the top 21 strength of schedule.  That is unnecessary.   https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Now look at Michigan.  They didn't play the full grind.  Lose in conference tourney early.  Are they still fresh or more fresh, mentally and physically?

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Absolutely.  The B1G teams have been stuck in hotels for 2 weeks.  

To go along with the meat grinding fist fight every single night in the conference.  

I've started to question the 20 game schedule.  At first the conference claimed it was getting more teams in and more prepared.  Well maybe it's actually too hard.  13 of the B1G teams were in the top 21 strength of schedule.  That is unnecessary.   https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Now look at Michigan.  They didn't play the full grind.  Lose in conference tourney early.  Are they still fresh or more fresh, mentally and physically?

All very good points.

I always hesitate to blame or cite circumstances because people will always say it's the same for everyone. Well in this case it wasn't the same for everyone and the numbers support it....i.e. this many Big 10 teams losing.

Regarding 20 game schedule. Agree all day. They need to revisit asap....and I don't even care about it being unbalanced. Been that way for a decade. Cap the conference at 16 games.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Most of those B1G losses had the same feel: they got down early and couldn't get back into it. They couldn't make any stops and they were shooting a low percentage on the perimeter. It was like watching IU. haha. 

Meanwhile on the other side of the ball, teams looked comfortable and fluid. Not only did most of those teams win, but they won pretty easily. There's flukes and trends; every year it becomes more evident that the B1G is on the butt side of a trend. 

My theory: In the preseason non-conference play we do well. Teams get used to a more fluid style of play and adjust to it. In conference play we get lulled into the B1G style of play...whatever that is. By the time the tournament rolls around we can't adjust back quickly enough. 

If this is the case my question is: where does the B1G need to adapt? I'd love to see a @coachadragna analysis of this.  

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Link 

"Chicago high school basketball is regarded as one of the dirtiest recruiting scenes in the country, whether the reputation is fair or not. To recruit in Chicago, it is said, is to deal with an assortment of hangers-on: parents, AAU coaches, family friends, even street agents, all looking for some under-the-table cash."

The Derrick Rose SAT scandal comes to mind...

Thanks.  

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Most of those B1G losses had the same feel: they got down early and couldn't get back into it. They couldn't make any stops and they were shooting a low percentage on the perimeter. It was like watching IU. haha. 

Meanwhile on the other side of the ball, teams looked comfortable and fluid. Not only did most of those teams win, but they won pretty easily. There's flukes and trends; every year it becomes more evident that the B1G is on the butt side of a trend. 

My theory: In the preseason non-conference play we do well. Teams get used to a more fluid style of play and adjust to it. In conference play we get lulled into the B1G style of play...whatever that is. By the time the tournament rolls around we can't adjust back quickly enough. 

If this is the case my question is: where does the B1G need to adapt? I'd love to see a @coachadragna analysis of this.  

Obviously this year's tourney has been a disaster for the Big Ten, but this the the first time in quite a while you could say that. I didn't go back to look it up, but seems that most years we are leading the way with win percentage and number of Sweet 16 teams. I think we just had some over-rated teams this year (OSU, Iowa and probably Purdue), but we also lost 3 OT games - have one bounce go the other way in those and there is an entirely different narrative about this tournament. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

Obviously this year's tourney has been a disaster for the Big Ten, but this the the first time in quite a while you could say that. I didn't go back to look it up, but seems that most years we are leading the way with win percentage and number of Sweet 16 teams. I think we just had some over-rated teams this year (OSU, Iowa and probably Purdue), but we also lost 3 OT games - have one bounce go the other way in those and there is an entirely different narrative about this tournament. 

yeah, you're probably right. I get clouded over the fact we haven't won any NC's since early 2000's. 

6 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

So...  Gonzaga is going to be the only team to go undefeated and win the National Championship since our Hoosiers did it in 1976, and their going to do it in our backyard. That actually might be kind of cool.

I believe they have an excellent chance of doing it.  They're a really smart team with good players, plenty of good ball handlers, plenty of good shooters, a very good coach.  They are a confident team with great understanding of how their coach wants them to play.  But you never know.

34 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I believe they have an excellent chance of doing it.  They're a really smart team with good players, plenty of good ball handlers, plenty of good shooters, a very good coach.  They are a confident team with great understanding of how their coach wants them to play.  But you never know.

I’ve come around to the fact that they are a great team that would be fun to root for and follow. I’m okay with them joining my favorite team (and my first Hoosier team when I was a kid)  in the record books. 

43 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve come around to the fact that they are a great team that would be fun to root for and follow. I’m okay with them joining my favorite team (and my first Hoosier team when I was a kid)  in the record books. 

After watching USC with the Mobley brothers demolish Kansas last night, I'm not just going to hand the trophy to the Zags.  There are some teams who could surprise us and the Zags.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

As much as I would hate it, the 76 team is class and doesn't root against anyone to go undefeated. If they accept it I guess I would get over it eventually.

13 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

After watching USC with the Mobley brothers demolish Kansas last night, I'm not just going to hand the trophy to the Zags.  There are some teams who could surprise us and the Zags.

I hope someone does knock them off, but if they make it through I wouldn’t be as bummed if I would have been if say Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas going undefeated. 

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

They are definitely the best team in the country.  But, the best team doesn't always win.

I think the style of play in the B1G just doesn't match up anymore with the rest of basketball.  Most of the B1G teams don't run an open fluid run the floor type of offense.  We don't run in your face, attach turnover defenses.  Other than Iowa, no one team was a high scoring team game over game.  And then Iowa tented to be off quite often and lost when they were.

I know the Big 10 has phenomenal athletes across the board. When I'm watching some of these teams still playing Arkansas, Houston,etc.....our style of play just looks slow overall in our conference compared to others.

I know fast pace play doesn't always translate to more points but just watching games yesterday. Especially Baylor/Nova and Houston/Cuse....I see freedom, player movement,etc.....as opposed to dump on the box and pray it goes in.

One other thing I'll add. Watching Oregon St/Loyola yesterday. Oregon St came out in zone and Loyola offense looked completely different. Krutwig couldn't facilitate at will from the top.

Few of my Illini buddies were more upset yesterday watching zone shut down Loyola because Underwood should have switched early on in their game.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

One other thing I'll add. Watching Oregon St/Loyola yesterday. Oregon St came out in zone and Loyola offense looked completely different. Krutwig couldn't facilitate at will from the top.

Few of my Illini buddies were more upset yesterday watching zone shut down Loyola because Underwood should have switched early on in their game.

Some truth to your comments but the fact of the matter is that they were getting wide open looks from the 3 point line and shot horribly. They also missed at least 7 free throws, and for a team in the top 5 nationally, that’s a lot.

IMO, make a couple of open shots and hit the free throws and Loyola wins that game.

Archived