Izzo

32 minutes ago, beaver56 said:

We must all adapt to succeed and if you don't you will get lost.  I feel my kids are soft, but tend to forget that I am over the top at times.  Kids need to work through emotions and learn to cope in tough situations, however adults, coaches, mentors, etc. have to understand their players.  Was Brown out of line, sure, but you can't excuse the way Izzo acted no matter what the situation is.  If he can't control himself better than than on national TV imagine what happens when nobody is around.

Now, more than ever, kids deal with really adult situations at a young age.  The quickest way to get a harsh reaction from them is to disrespect them and get loud and aggressive with them.  The world has changed and leaders have to change as well.  This IMO ultimately was the what led to the downfall of Coach Knight.  We may not agree, but it is reality.  The greatest leaders adjust and morph into what their people who rely on them need.  It is all about relationships in most cases.

Funny story that relates to this. I’ve mentioned before that I coach swimming and ‘underwaters’ (aka the dolphin kick and streamline off the wall) has now evolved into the ‘5th stroke’. The fastest swimmer in the world, Caleb Dressel, is only swimming above water for about 5 seconds of the 17 seconds it takes for him to complete a 50 in a 25 yard pool. 

Anyway, everyday i need to yell at my kids to make sure they working their underwaters because it’s vital to their development. One day I’m just about blue in the face because my insistence ‘to keep it perfect off every wall‘. My constant negative criticisms are going in one ear and out the other, nobody is concentrating and I’m getting frustrated. I say to my assistant coach.....’let’s try this’: I start lying and praising half of the team for getting it right “those were great! Way to go!”. Literally the next one everybody does It perfect! Haha. 

It’s so true that coaches need to find different ways to get through to their kids. And every kid is different. Maybe Brown responds to that type of criticism, but Izzo should know better not to do that on national TV especially after what happened last time. I have a kid on my team that you need to get in the face of. For another kid who puts on a tough front, all I have to say is I’m disappointed in your effort and it crushes him, but elicits a change for the better. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not a parent. My generation didn't fix? I'm 30. I'm literally working all day, every day to HELP fix things. They shouldn't be exposed to a lot of what they are... especially at very young ages. I for one don't have nearly the problem with our youth, as I do the people raising it. (Your generation). 

I'm not getting this - if my posts don't apply to you, then why respond? As for kids not being tested, I couldn't disagree with that more, but that could also because my experience is having two stepkids who are mixed race teenagers (my wife is also a middle school principal, so I get some info from there, too). Not to get too political, but when you have a former president retweeting a man yelling "white power," or a congressman who just yesterday talked about getting ropes and lynching people and doesn't understand why that's inappropriate, then yeah, I'd say kids are being tested every day, at least kids who are minorities.

That's why I think there's a pretty big disconnect when you toss out a blanket statement calling kids soft. Today's kids are dealing with things like race relations or environmental issues that are regressing right in front of our eyes.

I do appreciate all of you that work with kids, and are trying to make things better. I also get that you're likely just venting by calling kids soft. I just hope that there's an understanding that their experiences are very different than yours were at that age.

:snack:   I'm out on this one. Last time I got into a discussion about social issues I got immediately labeled racist....pretty sure my views would get me branded another -ist ....but I thank those on this board who are making a difference in the lives of our youth and I value everyones opinons lol.

16 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well this thread certainly took a turn I was not expecting. 

All I wanted to know was if we thought the incident at halftime had an impact on the final result of the game?

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

:snack:   I'm out on this one. Last time I got into a discussion about social issues I got immediately labeled racist....pretty sure my views would get me branded another -ist ....but I thank those on this board who are making a difference in the lives of our youth and I value everyones opinons lol.

No worries, I need to get off my soapbox anyway, and apologies for the hijack. Back to your discussion.

5 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I always thought of you as a good dude, but this reinforces it. 

Macro: I personally think that a ‘man’ needs to have more important traits than ‘changing a tire’. I’ll teach my boy how to do that, but I know he’s going to be more comfortable coding a website in the long run. Not only do I accept that but I appreciate it. Nature makes every human differently. When raising a boy into a man, for me first comes instilling accountability, honesty and empathy. Confidence stems from them being comfortable in their own skin and comfortable in the decisions they make. We aren’t living in mid evil times and being a ‘man’ is not determined by how well you can take a literal punch. Nerds pretty much rule the world now. And whether we like to admit it or not we depend on the systems and technology they’ve created. 

Micro: People need to calm down about Izzo. As much as we love to hate Izzo, I guarantee his players and former players believe he’s helping to instill those traits I mentioned above. Let’s wait to see if the kid some are feeling offended for, actually feels offended. 

+1

If I may add, there is so much more to "making" and "being" a man than what previous generations have deemed "correct". We are all born into a system of cultural/societal norms and expectations, but those might not correlate with our inner, authentic selves. I think the more we learn to stand in our own inner confidence (as well as allow others/those younger to do the same), the better we'll all be.

Archived