Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

With Matta already in the fold (at least partially Woodson's idea) and Brown a possibility for another non-assistant coach role, I'm kind of excited to see who he actually brings in as assistants. 

His age, lack of college coaching experience, and not great overall record as an NBA head coach (yes, yes, I know about getting better year after year blah, blah, blah, but also heard that about Miller) I was disappointed about the hire initially. Now I've moved past that to where I'm neutral on it. But I'm starting to get excited because it looks like he is attempting to  put together a stacked group of assistant coaches and support/advisory staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

With Matta already in the fold (at least partially Woodson's idea) and Brown a possibility for another non-assistant coach role, I'm kind of excited to see who he actually brings in as assistants. 

His age, lack of college coaching experience, and not great overall record as an NBA head coach (yes, yes, I know about getting better year after year blah, blah, blah, but also heard that about Miller) I was disappointed about the hire initially. Now I've moved past that to where I'm neutral on it. But I'm starting to get excited because it looks like he is attempting to  put together a stacked group of assistant coaches and support/advisory staff.

okay, i know i am taking all negatives, but is it weird to be more excited about the assistants than the head coach?  i mean i hope we get an all-star group of assistants, but i wonder how many guy may be assistants that i'd rather see as the head coach?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

So we should all just be sheep and agree with everything on here? I doubt if anything being said on these forums has any affect on the IU program. 

Not just here bit all social media and the stuff out there is embarrassing.  I don't want people to act so surprised or upset when the national people talk about how some of this fan base is bad

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

okay, i know i am taking all negatives, but is it weird to be more excited about the assistants than the head coach?  i mean i hope we get an all-star group of assistants, but i wonder how many guy may be assistants that i'd rather see as the head coach?

How about you let him coach a few games, if its not good  then I am sure you won't be alone. Mike Woodson is a better coach then the last 4 clowns we've hired. I'll buy you a roll of new pennies if you need something shinny to look at. :coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

How about you let him coach a few games, if its not good  then I am sure you won't be alone. Mike Woodson is a better coach then the last 4 clowns we've hired. I'll buy you a roll of new pennies if you need something shinny to look at. :coffee:

Maybe they should form their own message board for whiners

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

thanks Kev.  i'll definitely watch and support and cheer.  i'm just very disappointed at this point.  don't know what shinny is, but i'll be all right.  thanks for your support.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm trying not to keep posting negatives right now, but how about if he's the right guy, why does he need Matta?  or the question of would any other high profile program have considered him for their coaching vacancy?  but just because he's an IU guy, he is the right hire?

I'm guessing because Woodson knows nothing about recruiting.  I'm sure there are plenty of ridiculous rules you have to follow and even if you're an honest coach you could accidentally break a rule.  Sampson got in trouble for phone calls and even Crean had an incident contacting Gary Harris in a dead period.  The NBA is different than college.  He needs someone to help with the transition. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He's not a better coach than Sampson. No way.  Better person sure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

It is but it's because of his total and complete lack of college basketball coaching. I literally have no idea what we'll get with him. Matta and Brown, on the other hand, do have histories at this level. Very good histories. 

For me, it's not so much the assistants or the other personnel themselves that could get me excited. It's more that we bring in this guy who is well respected in the NBA who then acknowledges that he is missing key knowledge and experience for coaching at the college level. He then does what he can to immediately remedy that. It's looking more like "I want to win and win soon" rather than "I'll eventually figure it out and then win."

He also realizes that not everyone knows who he is but someone like Brown would have name recognition. 

So I get what you're saying but I think it's kind of exciting because he wants to win soon. And the commitment from the AD to make a new position for Matta to help ensure it happens then maybe another new position for Brown. It just seems like there is more of a commitment to winning and doing it soon than there has been since Knight was here. That's even if the initial hiring appeared uninspiring.

We might start landing a bunch of the top players that have been targeted recently but missed. Or we may not. If we don't, it certainly looks like it won't be for lack of effort.

Another thing is that since I have absolutely no say in the matter and Woodson is already a done deal to IU I'm not going to fight it at this time, especially before he's even coached a single game. I'll give him some time before I start complaining.  You're less than thrilled by this hire. I get that. I just think if he surrounds himself with the right people it could work out, and earlier rather than later. Wither or not it does remains to be seen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It is but it's because of his total and complete lack of college basketball coaching. I literally have no idea what we'll get with him. Matta and Brown, on the other hand, do have histories at this level. Very good histories. 

For me, it's not so much the assistants or the other personnel themselves that could get me excited. It's more that we bring in this guy who is well respected in the NBA who then acknowledges that he is missing key knowledge and experience for coaching at the college level. He then does what he can to immediately remedy that. It's looking more like "I want to win and win soon" rather than "I'll eventually figure it out and then win."

He also realizes that not everyone knows who he is but someone like Brown would have name recognition. 

So I get what you're saying but I think it's kind of exciting because he wants to win soon. And the commitment from the AD to make a new position for Matta to help ensure it happens then maybe another new position for Brown. It just seems like there is more of a commitment to winning and doing it soon than there has been since Knight was here. That's even if the initial hiring appeared uninspiring.

We might start landing a bunch of the top players that have been targeted recently but missed. Or we may not. If we don't, it certainly looks like it won't be for lack of effort.

Another thing is that since I have absolutely no say in the matter and Woodson is already a done deal to IU I'm not going to fight it at this time, especially before he's even coached a single game. I'll give him some time before I start complaining.  You're less than thrilled by this hire. I get that. I just think if he surrounds himself with the right people it could work out, and earlier rather than later. Wither or not it does remains to be seen.

To me these guys are brought in for things that are not on the court. The actual basketball stuff  Woodson had under control.  Basketball is basketball and if you can teach it in the NBA he will be able to do it in college

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i like the Matta part a lot, but it does seem a little weird that e is needed if Woodson is so great.  i don't think Matta would have been needed for Beard, Musselman, Oats, Drew, Altman, etc.  also, Penny is a bad example.  he is a terrible coach and already got in trouble for breaking the rules.  still want to see Howard down the road.  he has Martelli and inherited a great situation.  

If you listen to the presser - dolson spoke about how this will allow him to focus his time more with the other sport programs and be more of a partner in basketball decisions. Also if you can get matta on staff and it doesn’t take up a spot on the bench... why the heck not? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me these guys are brought in for things that are not on the court. The actual basketball stuff  Woodson had under control.  Basketball is basketball and if you can teach it in the NBA he will be able to do it in college

I'm aware that Matta (and Brown if added) will not be coaching. I'm sure the kids still know who Matta is. I'm sure they know who Brown is. They can help sell the university to the kids on visits. And having two very knowledgeable ex-coaches to turn to for advice couldn't hurt. Especially when one is in the HOF and won championships at both the college and professional levels.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I bet if you asked every Athletic Director of a Power 5 program if they would take Thad Matta in a consultant role if they could get him for $400,000 a year, virtually every one would take you up on the offer.  Really no need to try to understand it beyond beyond that.  Dolson thought outside the box and made a brilliant tactical move.  

Not to mention, Matta was being considered for the Head coach role at Georgia, Wichita St, and even UCLA. Glad to have him around. 

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Is anyone at all concerned about Mike's close friendship with World Wide Wes and the talk that Wes can get IU into a lot of doors? or are you ok with it? myself i'm ok with it.

I don't want him around the program.  I would guess if he is in the Knicks orginization he might be done with helping college coaches

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Is anyone at all concerned about Mike's close friendship with World Wide Wes and the talk that Wes can get IU into a lot of doors? or are you ok with it? myself i'm ok with it.

Love it.  Hiring Matta and Brown as Co-Directors of Cheating could end up being the best thing Indiana has done for its basketball program since it hired Bobby Knight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3