Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have a question about the NIL and the "Extra" money i heard was added this year.

Is this extra money only for this year?  Do these players we're buying get this extra money for the whole time they are at IU or just this year?  Is a NIL deal for the whole time they play for a school or can they negotiate each year?

I really don't have much of an idea what rules are around the NIL

That's the $64 dollar question...

This explains the guidelines...

But I think anyone who believes these kids are visiting and signing without numbers being negotiated are only fooling themselves...And I'd think year to year would be all they're good for with the way the portal is bustling...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's the $64 dollar question...

This explains the guidelines...

But I think anyone who believes these kids are visiting and signing without numbers being negotiated are only fooling themselves...And I'd think year to year would be all they're good for with the way the portal is bustling...

So each year they have a chance to negotiate for another NIL deal?  That has to be exhausting for everyone involved.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

So each year they have a chance to negotiate for another NIL deal?  That has to be exhausting for everyone involved.  

I think that's about the only way it can be played at this point...

The kids all have representation (and the really smart ones get a pro, and not some family member/friend who thinks they know how to talk money), and I'm sure the schools/collectives have certain people representing their interest as well...

At this point, it's kinda the Wild West...But we seem to have gotten ahead of the game, and are already pretty good at it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have a question about the NIL and the "Extra" money i heard was added this year.

Is this extra money only for this year?  Do these players we're buying get this extra money for the whole time they are at IU or just this year?  Is a NIL deal for the whole time they play for a school or can they negotiate each year?

I really don't have much of an idea what rules are around the NIL

My guess is that the total fund is probably like a line of credit.  Financial source X has said "I'll fund up to $x over y years".  Our staff then allocates accordingly. 

As for the deals....could be either or.  There's nothing that says you can't write a multi-year NIL deal.  If the financiers/programs were smart, they'd structure NIL deals to incentivize kids to stay.  "Ok, you'll get X in 24 installments over the first year.  If you don't transfer, you get X2 as of next year, plus Y "retention bonus" at the beginning of next season."

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

My guess is that the total fund is probably like a line of credit.  Financial source X has said "I'll fund up to $x over y years".  Our staff then allocates accordingly. 

As for the deals....could be either or.  There's nothing that says you can't write a multi-year NIL deal.  If the financiers/programs were smart, they'd structure NIL deals to incentivize kids to stay.  "Ok, you'll get X in 24 installments over the first year.  If you don't transfer, you get X2 as of next year, plus Y "retention bonus" at the beginning of next season."

Yeah, that supposedly can't happen (conditioned on a particular school) except that it does and the NCAA is powerless to prevent it. NIL loopholes are so large and abundant,  the NCAA might as well not try to enforce anything. 

• Like 2