Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

48 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I hate to root against anyone, but I hope May crashes and burns at Michigan just to spite every IU fan that is consumed with him.  If he didn't serve as a manager under Knight, you'd see 2/3rds fewer posts about him here. 

If only he was a manager under Branch McCracken. 😞

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 4:05 PM, Zlinedavid said:

I hate to root against anyone, but I hope May crashes and burns at Michigan just to spite every IU fan that is consumed with him.  If he didn't serve as a manager under Knight, you'd see 2/3rds fewer posts about him here. 

To be fair, same thing can be said about Woodson. If he didn't play at IU and so forth. He was on zero coaching search list this off season and has yet to win a game with his portal all star team.

Im curious to see if Dusty can lift that program and how quickly. He put FAU on the map for a brief moment but the B1G wont be so nice to him as he is likely aware.

I hope he is largely successful and that he only “crashes and burns” when playing IU.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

To be fair, same thing can be said about Woodson. If he didn't play at IU and so forth. He was on zero coaching search list this off season and has yet to win a game with his portal all star team.

Im curious to see if Dusty can lift that program and how quickly. He put FAU on the map for a brief moment but the B1G wont be so nice to him as he is likely aware.

I hope he is largely successful and that he only “crashes and burns” when playing IU.

Dusty had one out of the blue run to a FF. Great, so did Mike Davis and Tom Crean. 

Woodson at least had a track record of getting multiple NBA franchises to the playoffs, and given that those franchises were the Hawks and Knicks…getting to the playoffs was a decent accomplishment. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Dusty had one out of the blue run to a FF. Great, so did Mike Davis and Tom Crean. 

Woodson at least had a track record of getting multiple NBA franchises to the playoffs, and given that those franchises were the Hawks and Knicks…getting to the playoffs was a decent accomplishment. 

Crean had Wade and at Marquette. Davis was off of RMKs build and at IU. Not close to what Dusty did on his own at FAU. Miller did it at Dayton but failed at IU but that does not automatically mean that Dusty will do the same at Michigan. Who knows?

The bags thrown at Woodson this season in an effort to aid his success right now could have made a huge difference when Miller was here. Never know? There sure is an extra emphasis this off season to try and erase the turd of last season. Winning the transfer portal doesn't exactly mean he is now all of the sudden successful. 

Back to May. He is one of our own so I wont hope for his failure. Similar for Woodson. I don't hope for his failure, but I also don't think he's a great coach for IU. Maybe just as his original hire has proven, he needs a lot of help around him to be successful. It appears he is getting tons of help now so hopefully it pans out.

Like everyone here I just want to win. If that means refinancing the entire city of Bloomington to do it, Im all for it. Kidding there. Actually I think the NIL is killing what was enjoyable amateur college sports. Notice the word college as if there was once some educational benefit to attending college as an athlete. I also know it’s always been there behind the scenes before becoming legal but now it’s just out of control.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

CMW this time last year was leaving a scholarship open….which if filled might have meant multiple wins IMHO 

He was still hockey subbing entire lines and angrily defending it to the press until  it magically went away 

If he strikes out on Sisley & Mullins…. next year will be the first IU team ever without an Indiana kid ?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Lotta time between then and now.

If he strikes out on Sisley & Mullins…. next year will be the first IU team ever without an Indiana kid ? i know your mind has turned to mush spending to much time with purdue kids. but this is what he said. IF

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

2 players staying 4-5 years will be incredibly rare unless the rules change 

Exactly. Meaning that even if there isn’t an Indiana kid on the market now, there might be in a few weeks let alone next offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Exactly. Meaning that even if there isn’t an Indiana kid on the market now, there might be in a few weeks let alone next offseason. 

💯 👍

not sure how long MP can continue high school only recruiting 

On 4/16/2024 at 4:05 PM, Zlinedavid said:

5 hours ago, Inequality said:

I actually hope he does well other than against IU. I think he still has something to prove, but the potential is certainly there.  May is only 47. The former IU coaching tree doesn't have many branches. If he's successful at MI, I'd hope at the right time, the IU donors would pony up for his buyout. It's always easier to get someone to leave a job to go to their alma mater. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I actually hope he does well other than against IU. I think he still has something to prove, but the potential is certainly there.  May is only 47. The former IU coaching tree doesn't have many branches. If he's successful at MI, I'd hope at the right time, the IU donors would pony up for his buyout. It's always easier to get someone to leave a job to go to their alma mater. 

If Woodson isn’t coaching for whatever reason next season, Why limit ourselves to an alum? 

I think too much emphasis gets put on “the former IU coaching tree”. Bob Knight didn’t coach under Branch McCracken. Danny Hurley has no connection to Calhoun. K didn’t go to Duke. Self didn’t go to Kansas. Dean Smith didn’t go to UNC. Wooden didn’t go to UCLA. 

Go shake some trees and see who is willing to listen. Get the best available coach out there. 

The reason I always hear is “oh, they’ll understand the traditions better”.

How about upholding this tradition: win

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If Woodson isn’t coaching for whatever reason next season, Why limit ourselves to an alum? 

I think too much emphasis gets put on “the former IU coaching tree”. Bob Knight didn’t coach under Branch McCracken. Danny Hurley has no connection to Calhoun. K didn’t go to Duke. Self didn’t go to Kansas. Dean Smith didn’t go to UNC. Wooden didn’t go to UCLA. 

Go shake some trees and see who is willing to listen. Get the best available coach out there. 

The reason I always hear is “oh, they’ll understand the traditions better”.

How about upholding this tradition: win

Didn’t say next season. Also, not a fan of limiting a search to an alum. But we’re seeing that coaches don’t want to leave a good job to go to so-called blue bloods. Roy Williams wouldn’t have left Kansas for anywhere but NC. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Didn’t say next season. Also, not a fan of limiting a search to an alum. But we’re seeing that coaches don’t want to leave a good job to go to so-called blue bloods. Roy Williams wouldn’t have left Kansas for anywhere but NC. 

I think the splash we’re making in the portal this offseason isn’t just one for next season, it’s about the state of the program. People have always been willing to ante up for IU basketball. Now that there’s a legal path to do so, you’re seeing the impact. 

• Like 2

I have a question about the NIL and the "Extra" money i heard was added this year.

Is this extra money only for this year?  Do these players we're buying get this extra money for the whole time they are at IU or just this year?  Is a NIL deal for the whole time they play for a school or can they negotiate each year?

I really don't have much of an idea what rules are around the NIL