High School Hoops '21-'22

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

BC, SW Hanover, Providence, Austin, Pekin, Henryville, and Clarksville is how that sectional ended up. If we are fortunate enough to beat Providence, I would assume BC and Linton will be big boy battle in the regional. 

I know our two FR transfers have played very well this spring. Especially the 6'8 kid. 

BC should be considered a clear sectional favorite, even over Providence.  Yeah, I know the champs are the champs until they are beaten.  But, given what the two teams have coming back, the smart money clearly favors Brownstown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...they'll get a rude awakeng in 3A.  They may be in most games, but they're going to get behind some of those bigger more athletic teams and that will take away their ability to control the pace when they do.  Was a silly move just to avoid the Linton sectional.

I don’t believe they did it to avoid the Linton sectional. They’ve beat Linton the last two years and lost by one the year prior to that. Nothing there to be scared of.

3 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

Because they wanted to play in the Washington sectional. My opinion is they did it to try to rock the boat on how IHSAA is handling all these charter schools.

I think... none of that makes any sense whatsoever. I personally hope they get taken to the woodshed. 

Charter schools are a joke though, I'll give you that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

I don’t believe they did it to avoid the Linton sectional. They’ve beat Linton the last two years and lost by one the year prior to that. Nothing there to be scared of.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So..... why then? 

2 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

Because they wanted to play in the Washington sectional. My opinion is they did it to try to rock the boat on how IHSAA is handling all these charter schools.

...and because they viewed that sectional as easier to win.🙄  I guarantee that played a part.  The Linton games were very challenging and hard fought and while North Daviess might not be "scared" of Linton, you can't convince me that they didn't attempt to take the easier path here.  I say that as a Washington graduate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and because they viewed that sectional as easier to win.🙄  I guarantee that played a part.  The Linton games were very challenging and hard fought and while North Daviess might not be "scared" of Linton, you can't convince me that they didn't attempt to take the easier path here.  I say that as a Washington graduate.

Agree. I hope we get them in their holiday tourney. I assume we are going back. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think... none of that makes any sense whatsoever. I personally hope they get taken to the woodshed. 

Charter schools are a joke though, I'll give you that. 

I'm a Washington grad and my dad was a North Daviess grad, so it's not like I'm carrying water for Linton here.  I have no animosity toward North Daviess here other than to call them out for taking the easier path in the sectional.  Pretty much everyone in Washington believes that is what has happened in this situation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm a Washington grad and my dad was a North Daviess grad, so it's not like I'm carrying water for Linton here.  I have no animosity toward North Daviess here other than to call them out for taking the easier path in the sectional.  Pretty much everyone in Washington believes that is what has happened in this situation.

Which.. I actually don't have a problem with.... just admit to it lol 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Which.. I actually don't have a problem with.... just admit to it lol 

They're probably trying to not create bulletin board material.  Washington is just OK on talent right now, but Gene Miiler is a heck of a coach so you don't want to give him anything to fuel his kids' fire.

From what I've seen online, the Linton fans are bitterly disappointed with not getting another sectional crack at North Daviess.  Those games have been real barn burners recently.  I'm sure Linton will be jacked up for their conference game next season.  That would probably be a fun game to attend with no dog in the fight.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

The Washington sectional scares me more than the Linton one. The field is deeper there in my opinion.

Cracks me up all the people butthurt that they did something 100% legal within IHSAA rules. It’s been done before and will be done again as long as it is allowed.

It might be deeper, but without having much advanced scouting on any of the teams, Washington included, I'm going to guess that North Daviess or Linton either one would be a favorite to win that particular sectional.

...and no question it's a legal maneuver, but I'm not at all surprised that their motives are being questioned.  Yes, the Linton folks appear a bit butthurt over it, but mostly, the Washington people are laughing about North Daviess pretending they aren't trying to avoid Linton in the sectional.  Washington folks I talk to have no illusions about having anything beyond just a decent team next season and will readily admit that North Daviess and Linton should definitely be better.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It might be deeper, but without having much advanced scouting on any of the teams, Washington included, I'm going to guess that North Daviess or Linton either one would be a favorite to win that particular sectional.

...and no question it's a legal maneuver, but I'm not at all surprised that their motives are being questioned.  Yes, the Linton folks appear a bit butthurt over it, but mostly, the Washington people are laughing about North Daviess pretending they aren't trying to avoid Linton in the sectional.  Washington folks I talk to have no illusions about having anything beyond just a decent team next season and will readily admit that North Daviess and Linton should definitely be better.

I will not deny that the 3A overall route is easier than the 2A route but as far as sectional it’s 50/50 for me. 2A is loaded outside of sectional. When they announced they were doing this I’m sure they knew they would get raked over the coals. I’ll support them whatever class they are in. They are a good group of kids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

I think as soon as they knew they were going to get bumped up they made the choice. Washington is a 10 minute drive from the high school.

Okay.  If faced with this decision 4 years ago, would they have made the same short drive decision to play in the historic Hatchet House if the Silver Creek teams with Kaufman and Jacobi were awaiting them in the regional?  I think they gladly stay in 2A if that was the case.

I'm an outsider on this, so I can only form my opinion based on what it appears to me happened here.  I honestly think the road to Indy looks easier for them in 3A than it does 2A.  Not that it will be 'easy', just easier.  My belief is that was the driving factor.  At the next re-class, if there is a dominant 3A team in the South, they will choose to play 2A.

That's what the optics look like to me from 100 miles away.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Okay.  If faced with this decision 4 years ago, would they have made the same short drive decision to play in the historic Hatchet House if the Silver Creek teams with Kaufman and Jacobi were awaiting them in the regional?  I think they gladly stay in 2A if that was the case.

I'm an outsider on this, so I can only form my opinion based on what it appears to me happened here.  I honestly think the road to Indy looks easier for them in 3A than it does 2A.  Not that it will be 'easy', just easier.  My belief is that was the driving factor.  At the next re-class, if there is a dominant 3A team in the South, they will choose to play 2A.

That's what the optics look like to me from 100 miles away.

Not disputing how it looks. I agree how it looks. Silver Creek isn’t in the Washington sectional so I don’t think it would have made a difference. Heritage Hills however is in that sectional. I’ve heard that Sisley kid is pretty good.

10 minutes ago, jchestnut31 said:

Not disputing how it looks. I agree how it looks. Silver Creek isn’t in the Washington sectional so I don’t think it would have made a difference. Heritage Hills however is in that sectional. I’ve heard that Sisley kid is pretty good.

I'm saying it's not about the sectional. Others may think that, but I don't.  Yes, Linton is good, but I think I read somewhere that North Daviess beat them a couple of times recently.

My belief is that it's the entire tournament path they are looking at.  In 2A, they get by Linton, they would likely be facing Brownstown at some point in the regional.  Brownstown would very likely be the regional favorite in 3A, so they certainly will be in 2A.  

Once they get to semi-state, it's an Indy are school either way, so not much difference.

This decision is about the regional more than the sectional.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm saying it's not about the sectional. Others may think that, but I don't.  Yes, Linton is good, but I think I read somewhere that North Daviess beat them a couple of times recently.

My belief is that it's the entire tournament path they are looking at.  In 2A, they get by Linton, they would likely be facing Brownstown at some point in the regional.  Brownstown would very likely be the regional favorite in 3A, so they certainly will be in 2A.  

Once they get to semi-state, it's an Indy are school either way, so not much difference.

This decision is about the regional more than the sectional.

I agree the road to Indy would be easier on the 3A side. I’m just ready for more games! 😂

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

They're probably trying to not create bulletin board material.  Washington is just OK on talent right now, but Gene Miiler is a heck of a coach so you don't want to give him anything to fuel his kids' fire.

From what I've seen online, the Linton fans are bitterly disappointed with not getting another sectional crack at North Daviess.  Those games have been real barn burners recently.  I'm sure Linton will be jacked up for their conference game next season.  That would probably be a fun game to attend with no dog in the fight.

Lol…24-23 is a barn burner?? The games recently have definitely been very very close. Family from the area have heard it was 100% about playing in the Washington sectional and a much easier path to state based on sectional and regional opponents. It wasn’t necessarily about avoiding one team but rather the entire 2A vs 3A quality in the area and playing basically a home sectional. We will see how it works out for them. Best laid plans sometimes don’t work out how we think…a lot can change during an IHSAA basketball season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Lol…24-23 is a barn burner?? The games recently have definitely been very very close. Family from the area have heard it was 100% about playing in the Washington sectional and a much easier path to state based on sectional and regional opponents. It wasn’t necessarily about avoiding one team but rather the entire 2A vs 3A quality in the area and playing basically a home sectional. We will see how it works out for them. Best laid plans sometimes don’t work out how we think…a lot can change during an IHSAA basketball season.

I can't say it's an exciting style of play, but it makes for close suspenseful games.  Linton folks definitely complaining about ND intentionally avoiding a sectional rematch.

There was also some chatter about one player being ineligible next season due to age but I've got zero details on that...just chatter I heard in passing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

In the least arrogant way I can say this... 

Brownstown, on paper, will have never of been more talented then they are the next two years. No clue if that will equal the total team success that we have had, but 2 D1 kids and two or three more that will play college basketball at some level... and just an immense amount of height and length. And we have a decent coach lol 

Beech Grove also brings back a ton (as in their top 7). I think ND's ceiling is semi state in 3A and regional in 2A. (but would still have to beat a top 10 Linton team in the sectional in 2A). 

If the possibility of going the furthest in the tourney is the ultimate goal, imo, they made the right choice.  But... absolutely NOOO promise they get out of that 3A sectional. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

In the least arrogant way I can say this... 

Brownstown, on paper, will have never of been more talented then they are the next two years. No clue if that will equal the total team success that we have had, but 2 D1 kids and two or three more that will play college basketball at some level... and just an immense amount of height and length. And we have a decent coach lol 

Beech Grove also brings back a ton (as in their top 7). I think ND's ceiling is semi state in 3A and regional in 2A. (but would still have to beat a top 10 Linton team in the sectional in 2A). 

If the possibility of going the furthest in the tourney is the ultimate goal, imo, they made the right choice.  But... absolutely NOOO promise they get out of that 3A sectional. 

Brownstown may be back in 3A in 2 years due to success factor, regardless of enrollment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I can't say it's an exciting style of play, but it makes for close suspenseful games.  Linton folks definitely complaining about ND intentionally avoiding a sectional rematch.

There was also some chatter about one player being ineligible next season due to age but I've got zero details on that...just chatter I heard in passing.

There was chatter about Mullen the PG being too old since he repeated a grade. He is good to go though.