Maryland game thread

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's underrated how hard it is to piece a complete team together. 

We lost like one guy on defense from last year and gained Kramer, Ryder, Handy and got Ball back. I empathize with the offensive issues and Penix’s inability to return to form / injuries & transfers at RB but the defense looks like they spent all offseason feelin themselves (Fryfogle can be included here) and not getting prepared to work. Mindset is crucial and these guys clearly didn’t know how to handle the slightest bit of success 

Edited by Hoosier82

26 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

We lost like one guy on defense from last year and gained Kramer, Ryder, Handy and got Ball back. I empathize with the offensive issues and Penix’s inability to return to form / injuries & transfers at RB but the defense looks like they spent all offseason feelin themselves (Fryfogle can be included here) and not getting prepared to work. Mindset is crucial and these guys clearly didn’t know how to handle the slightest bit of success 

Meh

• Like 2

We have an very experienced team! I don’t really understand how we can be this bad! I understand we have had some injuries, but damn we’re bad! 
I see us wining one more game Rutgers. I am afraid we will start losing recruits an transfers! Just a feeling, because something is off the rails. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Yesterday was really the first game all year where I thought the defense looked much worse than they should have. Well, I guess we could throw OSU in there, but they do that to most people. I don't care what injuries we had, Maryland hadn't scored more than 17 points in a B1G game all year. It was a really poor defensive game.

My biggest issue with the defense is that we're really struggling at creating turnovers, but part of that is other teams playing with the lead. Hard to create a lot of chaos when the other team is ahead all the time. Even with playing behind, we should be much better than 97th in the country at creating takeaways after being one of the best last year.

My biggest concern is what next year's defense will look like. Almost the entire starting defense are seniors. Depending on who uses their extra year, or if anybody goes pro (Mullen), we could be in for an entirely new starting defense next year.

7 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Yesterday was really the first game all year where I thought the defense looked much worse than they should have. Well, I guess we could throw OSU in there, but they do that to most people. I don't care what injuries we had, Maryland hadn't scored more than 17 points in a B1G game all year. It was a really poor defensive game.

My biggest issue with the defense is that we're really struggling at creating turnovers, but part of that is other teams playing with the lead. Hard to create a lot of chaos when the other team is ahead all the time. Even with playing behind, we should be much better than 97th in the country at creating takeaways after being one of the best last year.

My biggest concern is what next year's defense will look like. Almost the entire starting defense are seniors. Depending on who uses their extra year, or if anybody goes pro (Mullen), we could be in for an entirely new starting defense next year.

Yeah, offense pretty good yesterday, but defense took the day off. 

I don't even want to think about the defense next year.  Yikes!

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

No doubt Coach Allen will be very busy in the transfer portal this winter. Just pay them the way Alabama, Ohio State, are allowed to year after year. 

He will be very busy evaluating his coaching staff as well. It took only 2 years with DeBord and CTA made the change. It was a needed departure agreed on by both parties. This is Sheridan’s second year as well with no improvement. The writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

I didn’t watch intently because I had other projects, but from what I saw:

McCulley.  Best news of the day is he showed a lot of promise.  He threw for darn near 10 ypa.  That is off the charts.  No interceptions, which is basically remarkable for his age.  Very live arm.  Just wait as he gains about 25 lbs and improves his anticipation and accuracy.     

I do not want to take McFadden for granted.  He is phenomenal.

Devon Matthews is also big time.  Great football player.  

Hendershot was tough and competitive.  Great asset.

I noticed Malachi Holt Bennett out there at receiver.  I’m glad we are getting some younger receivers out there.  Hopefully there’s a lot more coming.

55 yard field goal was awesome.

Handy and Anderson are pretty active. Handy is a younger guy so there’s upside.  But guys like Bryant and Head haven’t stepped up as they’ve gotten more experienced.  We don’t have enough juice up front.

Carpenter upgraded the O line.  He kicked his man out nicely to spring Carr free on that big TD run.  By the way, Carr showed what he can do if you give him blocking.  I wonder if we see more action for younger guys like Sales as we preserve the redshirt.

We need to improve both lines.  Yes there are bright spots but I hope we hit the portal hard on both sides.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

We set the tone early this season! We came out unprepared to play in the Big Ten. Good teams saw a chance to lick they chops,and look like world beaters! 
We Stuck with Penix to long, but that was a hard call. Just has a hard time thinking our coaches didn’t recognize how bad we were. Coach Allen worked so hard to move this program up the ladder some. So this year with all this experience to hit bottom again is awful disappointing!,, Also very concerning! 

Edited by OLDIUFAN