The Junkyard - Off topic discussion

FROM LQ Thread

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Agree 100%. I'd may buy that excuse from the Brooks if they went somewhere like Virginia or Michigan. I get it, they needed a front because they were leaving the state and disappointing local fans. I hate Kentucky, but I'm not going to fault a kid for choosing there - just be up front and say you want a better chance at winning and Archie hasn't yet proven he can develop guys for the NBA. I'd respect that; I won't like it, but i'll respect it. 

Exactly. Using Brian Snow as a stool pigeon isn't a good look. Funny part is they have to know those of us who have followed recruiting for decades can see right past their nonsense, right?

FROM LQ THREAD

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think you are better suited over at Rivals where you can be with the rest of the doom and gloom crowd.  I left that place to get away with those type of fans but it seems like a few is trying to spread their gloom to other boards now.  This board is made up of mainly level headed fans who can see it will take a few years for Archie to build his type of team but we are now getting some of the rivals fans coming over here.  at least I know that the mods on here won't take some of the crap that rivals board did because they really have no mods.

I am not seeing the doom and gloom that you speak of. I see fans expressing their displeasure with the state of the program over the past 20 years. I like CAM, I think he was the best that we could do. That says a lot. Not a KNock oN CAM but a hug knock on our program. 

Why is it a big deal for fans to say they see red flags and have concerns about next year. Do we really think we improved from year 1 to year 2. We had a senior all conference type player a heart and soul of your team and a lottery pick and we won 3 more games than the previous year. I know injuries were huge but all teams have them and yet do not lose 12/13. The locker room issues should have been addressed and taken care of before it killed a good thing. At the end of the day as coach you make 3mil a year to be the CEO of this program and it's all on you, good and bad.

Call it gloom but I do not see us being better but I do expect us to make the tournament and that is important. That is the key to recruitment. 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You will need this to be a full time job to get all detailed threads over here

Wishful thinking is that is could be self-policing. A mod will warn and say: "take it to the junkyard". Then the last post in the off-topic discussion is cut and pasted here. 

No way I'm going back into every thread. haha. Above was just an example. 

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Wishful thinking is that is could be self-policing. A mod will warn and say: "take it to the junkyard". Then the last post in the off-topic discussion is cut and pasted here. 

No way I'm going back into every thread. haha. Above was just an example. 

I guess I am in the minority here but this is my "train" of thought pun intended. The recruit pages garner the most attention so when I check that's first place I go hoping for good news. Because of that its easy to get off topic because in honesty how much is there to say and how often are there real updates. The things that people complain about are the very same things that make this place great and discussion is a big part of that. I for one could care less where that discussion is posted. We brag about 100 page threads and compare it to other boards and other schools . If we limit the recruit talk to only that we will have plenty of 5 page threads and be like everyone else. I have followed HSN to every new location because of what it. If so many are caught up on the stay on topic then HSN will become just like all the rest. Unfortunately like our basketball program.  For 20 years we have been just another program 

Didn't want to derail the LQ thread more than I already have (at least my contribution). So I'll bring this up here. Reason I keep bringing up Brooks was ultimately what it cost us. We're late to the party on 2-3 other targets because we spent so much early on with KB Jr only to have Brooks camp fall hook line and sinker for Cal. I keep forgetting Archie is a young head coach to the elite level recruiting game. Things went so smooth with Romeo and TJD maybe they didn't expect a hiccup with KB Jr. Well they got their hiccup and it's cost us a few. 

Oh well. That's the recruiting game. He'll remember these circumstances and taylor his approach for the future. I'm almost glad there isn't a must get 2020 in state recruit. Gives this staff plenty of time to tackle the 2021 approach...which based on rankings has the likelihood to be best in state class in a very, very long time. 

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't want to derail the LQ thread more than I already have (at least my contribution). So I'll bring this up here. Reason I keep bringing up Brooks was ultimately what it cost us. We're late to the party on 2-3 other targets because we spent so much early on with KB Jr only to have Brooks camp fall hook line and sinker for Cal. I keep forgetting Archie is a young head coach to the elite level recruiting game. Things went so smooth with Romeo and TJD maybe they didn't expect a hiccup with KB Jr. Well they got their hiccup and it's cost us a few. 

Oh well. That's the recruiting game. He'll remember these circumstances and taylor his approach for the future. I'm almost glad there isn't a must get 2020 in state recruit. Gives this staff plenty of time to tackle the 2021 approach...which based on rankings has the likelihood to be best in state class in a very, very long time. 

Could also mean that Archie isn't as dirty as the rest of the major coaches are too.

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Right on target in my book. Although I really like the 2020 guys we are in on.  I hope to make it 3 Mr. Basketball's in a row

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Right on target in my book. Although I really like the 2020 guys we are in on.  I hope to make it 3 Mr. Basketball's in a row

Agree. And I'm not diminishing any of the in state 2020 guys one bit but I don't see any one and done guys from that class. I've learned I have to qualify every statement now. Haha.

9 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Could also mean that Archie isn't as dirty as the rest of the major coaches are too.

Let's face facts. Given the spotlight his brother has created my guess is Archie is as clean as anyone in the game. Something to follow for certain. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree. And I'm not diminishing any of the in state 2020 guys one bit but I don't see any one and done guys from that class. I've learned I have to qualify every statement now. Haha.

We dont want anyone thinking we are saying bad things about recruits that force them to go to the evil Empire 

Maybe it is time for our fans to realize that maybe the IU basketball program will never get back to what it was from 71-93.  Things has changed so much since then and today it is harder to get back up there than it was in the past.  One back then we had a HOF and all time great coach in RMK and the chances of getting another one is really hard.  Recruiting is more national today than it was back then and more coaches can see more players today than they did in the past. Also back then you recruited the high school coach and family and today it is more with AAU coaches and their connections.  With RMK as coach most Indiana high school coaches looked up to him and it was easy to recruit those players to IU.  More and more games are on national TV instead of just regionally or local so these kids are able to watch many more teams and see how they play.

Also if the Administration wants sports not to be bigger than the University then as fans we don't have much of a say in what they do.  We as fans have just a couple of things we can do, one is to protest and stop being fans and stop donating our time and money to IU basketball.  Another thing we can do is to keep following IU basketball and stand behind the program through thick and thin.

I think it was Brand who didn't like that IU's reputation was attached to basketball and Bobby Knight; he wanted to IU's name to be significant with academics. Which in the end was ironic because he went on to head the NCAA. 

I'd think most universities struggle with that dilemma. When you think Duke, you first think basketball and then think academics. I'm sure many of the astute professors and the board of trustees would prefer it to be the other way around. It is what it is though - as long as you the administration is not actively fighting it. 

I think more than any other basketball program (next to UCLA) who has fallen on hard times it's not at all unreasonable to think that IU can return to prominence. We have the history, the facilities, the fan base and the money to bring it back. We just need to find the coach - maybe it will be Archie or maybe it will a future coach. As long as we have the enthusiasm behind the program I don't think anybody should count us out. I know everybody make the comparison to Alabama football, but they never lost their enthusiasm and the eventually got the right guy to turn it around. 

Not saying we can't compete in the conference or nationally but maybe we won't get back to where we are considered one of the elite teams in the country.  There is no reason we can't have programs like UVA or Villanova or MSU who wins with more of a team concept built around veteran players.  Even though UNV and Villanova have won 3 of the last 5 championships they will never be viewed on the same level as UK, KU, UNC or Duke

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying we can't compete in the conference or nationally but maybe we won't get back to where we are considered one of the elite teams in the country.  There is no reason we can't have programs like UVA or Villanova or MSU who wins with more of a team concept built around veteran players.  Even though UNV and Villanova have won 3 of the last 5 championships they will never be viewed on the same level as UK, KU, UNC or Duke

Disagree. That list is rotating. UK was wallowing for a little bit. In the early 80's people never would have conceived that UCLA would not be considered one of the elite. The teams you list above may fall off their perch and another team will take their place. Who knows what will happen to Duke after K leaves. I guarantee the perceived top 4 programs will look different in 20 years. 

Same thing in football. I mentioned Alabama above, but ND and Michigan don't have top '5 status anymore' - not many people would've imagined that 30 years ago. 

My point is the 'Elite' are always changing and never say never. What happens is Villanova wins 2 more championships? You still don't think they'd be considered elite? 

If IU or UCLA find a way to wind two more championships in the next 10 years then they'd be right back into consideration. So would Louisville and Michigan State. 

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I think it was Brand who didn't like that IU's reputation was attached to basketball and Bobby Knight; he wanted to IU's name to be significant with academics. Which in the end was ironic because he went on to head the NCAA. 

I'd think most universities struggle with that dilemma. When you think Duke, you first think basketball and then think academics. I'm sure many of the astute professors and the board of trustees would prefer it to be the other way around. It is what it is though - as long as you the administration is not actively fighting it. 

I think more than any other basketball program (next to UCLA) who has fallen on hard times it's not at all unreasonable to think that IU can return to prominence. We have the history, the facilities, the fan base and the money to bring it back. We just need to find the coach - maybe it will be Archie or maybe it will a future coach. As long as we have the enthusiasm behind the program I don't think anybody should count us out. I know everybody make the comparison to Alabama football, but they never lost their enthusiasm and the eventually got the right guy to turn it around. 

I do think if it's not CAM, then we will need to up the contract amount to pull top talent from other top schools.  We're not going to get top tier talent at 3mil a year.  We're going to have to make that 5-7 if we want true consideration.  Just my opinion with zero facts to back that up.

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Disagree. That list is rotating. UK was wallowing for a little bit. In the early 80's people never would have conceived that UCLA would not be considered one of the elite. The teams you list above may fall off their perch and another team will take their place. Who knows what will happen to Duke after K leaves. I guarantee the perceived top 4 programs will look different in 20 years. 

Same thing in football. I mentioned Alabama above, but ND and Michigan don't have top '5 status anymore' - not many people would've imagined that 30 years ago. 

My point is the 'Elite' are always changing and never say never. What happens is Villanova wins 2 more championships? You still don't think they'd be considered elite? 

If IU or UCLA find a way to wind two more championships in the next 10 years then they'd be right back into consideration. So would Louisville and Michigan State. 

I have often heard IU basketball likened to Notre Dame football, in that they both are tradition rich, proud programs who have fallen off the national radar in relevancy, and rest too much on their laurels.

I think a much better comparison would be IU basketball and Nebraska football. Both had their heyday. Both had HOF coaches who left and the school has struggled replacing them. Both have hired what are considered up-and-coming young coaches to try to lead the respective programs back to competing at the highest levels. Both have loyal and rabid fan bases. I guess the one difference being that the Nebraska fans continue to sell out every one of their home games, whereas we have fallen off in that area.

Nebraska football used to be elite, just as IU basketball was considered the same. Hopefully, CAM rights the ship and we get back on that course.

On 5/9/2019 at 10:02 AM, Billingsley99 said:

We brag about 100 page threads and compare it to other boards and other schools . If we limit the recruit talk to only that we will have plenty of 5 page threads and be like everyone else.

HSN should set a limit of 20 pages per thread.  Once that's reached, new posts will rewrite over the oldest.  Like a hard drive.

Might save money on server costs, too.

Sounds like it's really gaining steam. NCAA moving 3 point line back to international distance for upcoming season....22 feet plus. To me the extra distance could really change things....maybe we just go big next year with RP, Hunter, TJD, Davis, and Brunk?? Haha...

Detroit and Mike Davis are lone D1 team ineligible for tourney next year for low APR scores. Probably explains why his name kept being surfaced with SEC jobs....he was trying to get out. Can't remember the Michigan assistant who had program before him....but sounds like he left a real mess. 

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds like it's really gaining steam. NCAA moving 3 point line back to international distance for upcoming season....22 feet plus. To me the extra distance could really change things....maybe we just go big next year with RP, Hunter, TJD, Davis, and Brunk?? Haha...

Need to move it back to 30. That would really help us

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's kind of what I was saying/thinking. Now that its all but done moving back the line allows more space to drive and use our bigs as an advantage. 

My thought is we only team that cant hit form 20 so if 30 our percentage probably wont change but everyone who shoots it well against us should drop

Archived