The Junkyard - Off topic discussion

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe it is time for our fans to realize that maybe the IU basketball program will never get back to what it was from 71-93.  Things has changed so much since then and today it is harder to get back up there than it was in the past.  One back then we had a HOF and all time great coach in RMK and the chances of getting another one is really hard.  Recruiting is more national today than it was back then and more coaches can see more players today than they did in the past. Also back then you recruited the high school coach and family and today it is more with AAU coaches and their connections.  With RMK as coach most Indiana high school coaches looked up to him and it was easy to recruit those players to IU.  More and more games are on national TV instead of just regionally or local so these kids are able to watch many more teams and see how they play.

Also if the Administration wants sports not to be bigger than the University then as fans we don't have much of a say in what they do.  We as fans have just a couple of things we can do, one is to protest and stop being fans and stop donating our time and money to IU basketball.  Another thing we can do is to keep following IU basketball and stand behind the program through thick and thin.

Maybe, maybe not.

We haven't had the sort of consistent run we had during the period of our 3 NC's and every year appearance in the tourney, and RMK was, for an extended period of time, the best or one of the best coaches bar none in the game.

On the other hand, we've had several years, over the years since, where we got close. The 02 NC game. The 24-4 team under Sampson before phone gate broke. The Vic-Cody team -- that team absolutely was capable of winning a NC. We ran into Crean's nemesis in the Cuse zone, not meaning to dredge that back up, but that team was the Nation's longest #1 ranked team, Vic and Cody top 5 draft picks to be, the team was well balanced, and we did win a couple B1G championships during that run with one at UM in a tough B1G.

Now we have a young but already fairly proven coach who took Dayton to multiple straight tourney appearances and he's already recruiting well, a very good defensive coach, with time to tell how good he can be on the offensive end when we finally have shooters again. As is always said in this discussion, Indiana usually has boatloads of well - coached talent to recruit, the local and regional base will always be there, and CAM is well liked and respected.

Having another run like RMK had is a tall order. But teams like Michigan and MSU are now long-time running elite programs (as much as I dislike Izzo), right here in the B1G. Question is how good CAM can be. Time will tell, but I can see us getting back to usual national prominence.

Wait a second. There’s more good basketball talk in the junkyard thread than in recruit threads?  Somebody is messing with somebody else. 

Personally, I don’t mind the tangents and meanderings in threads as long as we circuitously make it back to point.  Maybe it’s just me.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Wait a second. There’s more good basketball talk in the junkyard thread than in recruit threads?  Somebody is messing with somebody else. 

Personally, I don’t mind the tangents and meanderings in threads as long as we circuitously make it back to point.  Maybe it’s just me.  

Not just you my friend 

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'm posting here until further notice. Haha. Seems like I'm bad luck in the recruiting threads. 

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You mean make it back to "Penguin Point"?

Archived