UCLA

rico

15 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

How does Alford get these top recruits...this came as a surprise 

Trust me. I love Bloomington with all of my heart. Campus, the people and of course IU. My cousin went to UCLA. Visited there a few times. It's a very easy sell to impressionable 18 year olds. And that's just the campus. 

17 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Ed Schilling was the lead recruiter for Moses Brown while at UCLA.  I was surprised that he didn't carry over the recruitment when he made the move to IU.

Moses Brown has said he'll be in college 1 year. That's it.

I don't want a kid with that mentality... And I don't think Archie did either.

41 minutes ago, ephul said:

Moses Brown has said he'll be in college 1 year. That's it.

I don't want a kid with that mentality... And I don't think Archie did either.

An Archie-coached team of upperclassmen 4-Stars will make guys like Moses Brown look silly on the court. 

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Alford has done it again..got a commitment from Shaq's son Shareef...decommited from Arizona 

Well, that didn't take very long.  Interesting.  Guess Shareef wanted to stay in the PAC 12.... warm weather and all.  LOL

Thanks for the report. 

It might, but as it has been mentioned before;  being in LA, they could probably have one of those wind up clapping monkeys as their coach and have a top 15 class every year.  

Now Alford has forgotten more about basketball than I could ever dream to know, so this isn't an all out bashing. But, I think for us, he is no more than low hanging fruit. A last grasp to hold on to the end of the golden age of IU basketball.  I am THRILLED with what I've seen with CAM so far and am giddy as a school girl for the future. 

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Does this give Steve, you know the coach no IU fan wants, the #1 class now??

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I think it puts him at #2

Yeah, I don’t think it would be the #1.  Duke has the top 3 kids coming in next year, and another top 20 kid as well iirc.

I try not to discount his recruiting success. It's tough to navigate the SoCal AAU world. Howland didn't make nice with 2 guys and it cost him his job. With that said anyone who has been to UCLA and it's campus...not a hard sell there.

Eventually though Alford will have to get his teams a deep run. Much like Crean and some IU fans were in 2015...certain part of UCLA fan base is already fed up and the one's who are on the fence are starting to switch to the fire him camp. Deep run is only saving grace. After that. Fire him now and don't waste another 1-2 years..

And that way he can end up at Louisville after this season.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Doesn't matter.  He has been a D1 coach for almost 23 years and has never been past the Sweet 16.  Even Crean and Mike Davis aren't that bad.

You and I are in the same page on Alford. Amazing all the basketball knowledge he has soaked up that he can't seem to teach to his team.

Archived